Tommy Boy Callahan Brake Pads

MattgomeryBurns

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
One of my favorite scenes from Tommy Boy. Has anyone ever recreated the Callahan Brake Pads box?

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh gosh so sorry about that! Between full time school, full time work, and freelancing on the side I totally forgot.

Here's a PDF sized to fit a single 8.5x11. If you scale it up 3x it should be about full size (If my math is right). Got a version with just cut and fold lines and another version where the white parts are all outlined. Hope it all makes sense. Should be a fairly straightforward assembly. I'll try to work up instructions for which flap to fold when and what gets glued to which, but I mean it's just a box.

Included below are photos of a small scale test assembly printed in black and white cuz I'm cheap.

Any and all feedback would be lovely.

tommy_boy_guarantee.jpgTest Box 1.jpgTest box 2.jpg

Attachments

• Calahan brakes letter.pdf
    765.9 KB · Views: 29
  • Calahan brakes letter outlined.pdf
    769.6 KB · Views: 25
Though in looking at it again I'm not sure the typeface is all that accurate. I'll see if I can find a better match for that block lettering on the box

The font you need (I have a few that match) is Aachen Std Bold. Other possibilities are Aardvark and Blacksmith (they all look the same).

I do graphics in a T-Shirt shop and have a customer whose business is 'Callahan Ceramic Tile'

He brought in an old Callahan Auto Parts shirt he got from somewhere (it had a Paramount copyright on it), and I recreated it with 'Ceramic Tile' in place of 'Auto Parts' for him.

He orders a new batch every year.

Last edited:
The font you need (I have a few that match) is Aachen Std Bold. Other possibilities are Aardvark and Blacksmith (they all look the same).

I do graphics in a T-Shirt shop and have a customer whose business is 'Callahan Ceramic Tile'

He brought in an old Callahan Auto Parts shirt he got from somewhere (it had a Paramount copyright on it), and I recreated it with 'Ceramic Tile' in place of 'Auto Parts' for him.

He orders a new batch every year.
I just checked out those fonts; I don't think those are exact matches - they are rounded off where on the prop box the letters have the letters' edges at a distinct angle. (I hope this makes sense, I'm not a professional letterer, so I don't know the correct terminology of lettering!)

Here's my first go at this (messed around in Illustrator a while back). Aachen Std Bold is spot on, although I cannot for the life of me make out what the very bottom text on the top of the box says. I chose to use the address that's used on another piece of packaging from earlier in the movie (even though that doesn't appear to be 100% accurate to the brake pad box. The folds and flaps obviously need a little work if this will actually be constructed.

brake-pad-mock-02.png

brake-pads-box-08.png

brake-pads-1.pngoil-filter-1.png

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back