Tomb Raider - The Clock of Ages (Progress Thread)

I am basing all of my dimensions on scaled screen grabs and this picture I found from a scan of the official movie guide. based on this pic, I find that the diameter of the inner piece is 3 7/8 inches, assuming the outer ring is 6 1/2 like the auction house says. With that in mind, the thickness of the outer ring comes close to 3/4 - 13/16 of an inch with the thickness/ depth of the inner piece coming in right at 15/16 to 1 inch. I am off on my build of the outer ring, but it was what I had at picture time. The new one will be correct. It may not look like it, but the center section is dead on to those dimensions.
If you have other info that contradicts these measurements, by all means please share. I want to get this as close as I can. Mine will be out of resin and styrene, so I am really interested in seeing how you pull off a real brass replica. I have no idea how to do that.

Attachments

• watermarkclockface.JPG.jpg
    watermarkclockface.JPG.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 488
I am basing all of my dimensions on scaled screen grabs and this picture I found from a scan of the official movie guide. based on this pic, I find that the diameter of the inner piece is 3 7/8 inches, assuming the outer ring is 6 1/2 like the auction house says. With that in mind, the thickness of the outer ring comes close to 3/4 - 13/16 of an inch with the thickness/ depth of the inner piece coming in right at 15/16 to 1 inch. I am off on my build of the outer ring, but it was what I had at picture time. The new one will be correct. It may not look like it, but the center section is dead on to those dimensions.
If you have other info that contradicts these measurements, by all means please share. I want to get this as close as I can. Mine will be out of resin and styrene, so I am really interested in seeing how you pull off a real brass replica. I have no idea how to do that.

It won't be cast in brass, but pewter and gold-plated.
Drawings are sometimes great to use, but most of the time the final prototype ends up quite different.

RelicMaker you probably have everything you need but just to help out a little....

I do have those, but yours are a lot crisper in detail. Thanks!

If anyone has a nice shot from the side, I would very much appreciate it.
I have a couple of screencaps of the side, which shows that there is a line of script that is very much like the script along the outer edge of the gold frame.
So, if anyone has a better shot, or some bluray screencaps of the side, they would be very helpful!:)

Could you state what specific time-frames you need - make it easier for others to retrieve screencaps.

I don't have a blu-ray copy but will get one shortly.

These two screencaps are what I was able to grap off the regular dvd. I was hoping to see if the blueray might be a little crisper in detail. Not sure if getting them will help much more, but based off what we see here, it is easy to assume that the same strip of script that runs along the outer edge is the same as the strip of script that runs along the outer border on the face of the frame...

vlcsnap-389662.pngView attachment 247149

I always wondered if that was any sort of text or not. If it is I don't see how the assumption can be made that it is the same on the top side ring as it is on the outer edge. Same font maybe, but not the same words. There appear to be 3 rows of "text", whatever, on the outer face ring, but the edge just looks like artifacts (pun) left over from sand casting the metal piece.
On the subject of fonts, I have spent a long time trying to identify those on the inner face. I know the first outer ring are zodiac symbols, and those of the fifth ring appear to be hindu. As for the rest.............. Who know? Literally, Who!!!!?

I always wondered if that was any sort of text or not. If it is I don't see how the assumption can be made that it is the same on the top side ring as it is on the outer edge. Same font maybe, but not the same words. There appear to be 3 rows of "text", whatever, on the outer face ring, but the edge just looks like artifacts (pun) left over from sand casting the metal piece.
On the subject of fonts, I have spent a long time trying to identify those on the inner face. I know the first outer ring are zodiac symbols, and those of the fifth ring appear to be hindu. As for the rest.............. Who know? Literally, Who!!!!?

Tell us what these zodiac and hindu symbols translate into as it may possibly help us decipher the remaining rings :)

8 perf - where did you locate this prop image from? It is pretty good close view.

3.jpg

Last edited:
Hotsam - I dont read Hindu, so have no idea what they say or mean. I spent hours and hours over many days looking over fonts and old texts for similar style writings. Check out a site called "Omniglot.com" for just one of my resources.
There are twelve divisions going around the face of the "clock". I reasoned that they might be numbers 1-12, like our clocks, or the twelve months of the year perhaps. My local paper prints the horoscopes each day, and next to each month there is a Zodiac symbol. Much like the dude in Stargate, I recognized them one day as being the same as on the clock. Go figure.
As for the Hindu script, there is one character on the fifth ring that kinda looks like a sideways "3". I have seen that in a few hindu texts before and there is a variation of it used as a symbol in Yoga.

As for the image, I believe its a cg image I found a long time ago when I first started looking for these. Can't recall the source.

Thanks 8 perf for the info

Also a photo I found of the clock by someone on flickr

Click on the image again for zoom in - in a new tab - after you opened it

9432238206_defea81fcd_o.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the link and image Hotsam! Much appreciated!

I wouldn't try to hard to decipher what the scripts say, since most or some could very well be made up. Especially, the script around the outer edges of the prop.

I'm almost done finishing the the outer frame of my prototype, which I'll post pictures in the next following week.

UPDATE:

I have now finished the Clock frame with the gracious help of 'Rebelscum' and his laser machine.
After tracing and drawing in every little detail into a digital file, he loaded it up into his machine and engraved all the designs on the front and the back of this piece of wood (hard maple).
I then cut it out with a scroll saw, carved the four points with mini files and hand engraved the rest of the script around the edge with a power carver.

I'll finish carving the inner posts after I get the center section installed.

Getting closer!!!:cool

Thanks for your help, Philip!!!:D

Last edited:
WOW!! Thats really nice. Never had access to a laser engraver, so never got that far on my outer ring. Don't suppose you'd share your digital file?? :)
Looking forward to seeing this finally come to fruition.

WOW!! Thats really nice. Never had access to a laser engraver, so never got that far on my outer ring. Don't suppose you'd share your digital file?? :)
Looking forward to seeing this finally come to fruition.

Thanks, guys!

No, I won't be sharing my digital files. That would be like me handing over a master sculpt. It took me a long time to do all the graphic files, which are a total of 9 drawings. I've never dealt with this much detail before...:wacko

This is truly a work of art when it comes to woodwork! Is this your final prototype for the ring?

I am now genuinely excited to see final product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is truly a work of art when it comes to woodwork! Is this your final prototype for the ring?

I am now genuinely excited to see final product.

Thanks!
I'll still tweek the details a little more, and then mold and cast it, and tweek some more on the resin casting. The resin casting will be the final product!
I want to make sure there's no wood grain showing up in the casting, which is why I'm doing it that way.

So, what you see now, will look a lot better in the coming weeks!;)

Just an idea that you may find useful if there is still room for brainstorming.....

The internal clock could be two layers with the upper layer being some kind of blue glass or plastic with the clock itself engraved onto it. This layer needs to be transparent.
The lower layer could be a mirror back. I think this is most suitable because there would be more of a sense of the mythological when exposing the clock to natural lighting - rather than having it artificially lit from lightbulbs/LEDs.

I'll look forward to seeing how your clock progresses in the next few weeks/months :thumbsup

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back