Tomb Raider Reborn

So about 4 mouths ago I got the Tomb Raider reborn and ever scents been hook. The last mouth I started making the Makeshift Longbow and here is where I'm at imgur: the simple image sharer .I'm wanting to make the whole look so I got a lot more to go here is my check list as it stands so for.

So as far as I can tell Lara is about 5' 9" to 5' 10" in (Tomb Raider reborn) so with that I was about to find that the bow is about 54" long so that the size I went with. The kind of rope knot that I used is called a whipping knot and is very strong one.

Here is how to do this knot if anyone wanted to know.
whipping the end of the rope.gif

Makeshift Longbow.JPG

Makeshift Longbow=done
3 hoop earings
Green pendent necklace with brown cord
1 White tank top
1 gray tank top
1 white hair scrunchie
Quiver
8 arrows
sling strap
Black/Yellow digital sport wrist watch
Gun Holster
Pistol M1911 hand gun
Cotton wraps
Walkie Talkies (yellow/black)
Midden brown cargo pants

Last edited:
Hi Immortalmoon, nice of you to join us here!

Your bow looks great!
What will you work on now that your longbow's finished?

I finished my holster build the other day, just need to do some weathering on it now.
Holster_zps9fee440c.jpg

Currently have the quiver, arrows, and recurve bow all on the go

Hello Ember, And thank you you for the warm welcome. I love your holster looks dead on what did you used to get the proportions. My next build is going to be the quiver so will see how that goes.

Hello everyone I'm starting my build for the quiver but I'm trying to see what proportions I could go with this is what I've got so for.

top 18" long
bottom 13" long
tall 16"

So let me know what you guys think.

quiver 2.jpg

Last edited:
Hello Ember, And thank you you for the warm welcome. I love your holster looks dead on what did you used to get the proportions. My next build is going to be the quiver so will see how that goes.

Thanks! I printed off a flat render of the holster in various scaled sizes and used them along with my M1911 airsoft pistol to work out what size I'd need to have the holster be the same proportions on me as on Lara (The Art book says she's 5'5" and I'm a bit shorter at 5'3").

Hello everyone I'm starting my build for the quiver but I'm trying to see what proportions I could go with this is what I've got so for.

top 18" long
bottom 13" long
tall 16"

So let me know what you guys think.

My Quiver's 15" total length. Around the top it's about 14", and around the bottom it's 11"
I used the walkie to help scale it
If you need a clearer reference picture, here you go!

QuiverBack_zpsc1a6e47d.jpg

Hello Ember, yea that dose help a lot and thanks for the picture I did not have any good shots of the quiver so this helps a lot. So Lara only 5'5" wow I'm 5' 9" so I was a little off there hehe. Talk to you later bye bye:)-

Immortalmoon

Quiver's finished, minus the weathering!
QuiverClean_zps2c5c3ad4.jpg

I made it from cream leather which I wrapped over a heavyweight canvas inner tube to give it extra support.
The brown 'wraps' were made by wrapping cord around round containers and brushing multiple layers of watery glue over them to set them hard in that shape. They were then slipped off the containers once they were dry, and attached to the quiver at one point each in the back, to give them that 'floating' look that they have in the game, when viewed directly from the front.

2013-10-10.JPG

Hello Ember, Really like your quiver it looks so beautiful I'm hoping my turns out as will as yours:) I'm doing my in dark gray deer skin. I think I share how my out fit is coming along. I still have a way to go but I think the look is starting to show.

Later,
Immortalmoon

Whoops! I've been neglecting this here thread....so let me see what needs some catching up on.

Immortalmoon - Welcome! Looks like your costume is off to a great start. You've already go a good idea for detail so I imagine your costume's going to come out pretty rad. :)

Ember
- Ooo, your holster looks spot on! The quiver and holster are two things I wish I could go back to re-do. The holster was a rush job for the photoshoot (although it's still a beautiful custom leather holster), it doesn't quite have all the right shapes. While my quiver looks fine, it will not stay upright! Well, unless I fill up a water bottle and chuck it down the middle. So ladies, make sure you weight your quiver!

It's interesting about Lara's height. They say she's shorter, but her proportions, especially from the concept art look quite a bit taller. (I'm 5'8" myself and her proportions felt similar). Ah, tricks of the eye, it would seem!

Immortalmoon - great progress! The look is definitely there!

TheLadyNerd - Thanks! Just say the word and I can send you a flat render of the holster that you can scale to suit you.
I'm thinking of embedding most of the arrows in a firm base in the bottom of the quiver (will have 3 'hero' removable arrows with points on the bottom, the rest won't have arrow heads. Figured it'll help hold the round shape, and I'll be able to space out the arrows so they won't just bunch together. Will hopefully also deter arrow thieves since they'll be secure in the quiver. (NZ cons are notorious for morons trying to take costume bits off of costumers). Just waiting on the turkey feathers to arrive so I can do the fletching!

Division 6 - huh. Art book says 5'5", one site says 5'4", and another says 5'6". Although I do think the proportions make her a bit taller than that, I'm at least happy to know that there's at least one reference that says I'm very nearly the same height as her :p

My pants are almost finished! Had to re-learn how to insert a jeans zip last night. Hope to have them finished over the next couple of days!

Wore Lara at a local con today, was a lot of fun! First time wearing a costume where the messier it is, the better :p

I didn't plan on having the full costume finished for this event so there's a lot of work that still needs to be done - weathering in particular. Lots and LOTS of weathering!!!
Did a little shoot afterwards
Still need to do the axe, archery glove, more arrows, the holster pouches, and pattern detail on the bow.

1Lara007_zpsfbd8cf13.png

1Lara001_zpse80a46d2.png

Some more pics have gone up on my Deviantart page :)

You'll keep having problems with the quiver because of the strap. Although in the video game a single belt can make the quiver work, in reality the quiver will constantly slip backwards and forwards. My suggestion is to tie the bottom of the quiver strap to your gunbelt so it doesn't slide around. I would rather say enlarge the quiver belt where it rests on your shoulder, but i figure that is not an option for authenticity.

Rue

I've been away way, way too long! So many amazing photos ladies.

My fan film is finally finished and will soon be premiering on youtube. If anyone wants to check it out I have a teaser trailer up here! http://youtu.be/zEyz3hkVBvM

I'm hoping to attend DragonCon in Atlanta this year, end of August, and my plan is to do reborn Lara and a classic Anniversary Lara. It's a BIG plan obviously. I don't think I'll be able to come nearly as screen accurate as many of you have but I'm gonna give it a go!

I do have a fairly good start on reborn Lara. I plan to work on quiver first (which I actually want to be functional as I do archery and so why not!). I'm stuck on the bow... I could go for the real one but I actually like the makeshift one and have the trees to make it! Not to mention, I don't want my real bows getting bumped, bent or cracked and walking around a crowded Con sounds like a bad mix.

I need a reborn holster and I see lots and lots of awesome ones. Ember your's is AMAZING! Must dig out the leather tools.

Oh my gosh I feel so intimated already but I do like a challenge! Now I shall go be absorbed in research again. Being Lara Croft is addictive!

The lighter is lashed to the handle of the bow, so it can be used to light the flammable arrows. Something else is used to light the torch, I can't find the cutscene that shows what's used, but the scene is immediately before Lara makes the signal fire for the rescue plane. Here's the cutscene where Lara finds the lighter and unlocks fire arrows: Cutscenes Part 8

And a clearer image of the lighter attached to the handle of the Bow
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b335/Bennuko/Lara Croft/AttachedLighter_zpsf1500cf7.jpg

Great find with the carabiner for the ice axe! None of my game renders show attached weapons (other than the quiver), so that's quite helpful.

Still tossing up between partial weathering or complete weathering of the outfit, and have been on the hunt for suitable pistols. The Beretta 92sb is used all the way up to the helicopter crash (closest match is a Beretta 92f, but finding a replica one that is black with wooden grips has proven to be a bit of an issue! Contemplated getting a silver one that has the wooden grips and painting the silver black). After the helicopter crash Lara's clothes are in their most tattered form, and stay that way for the rest of the game. She also replaces the Beretta with a Remington 1911 pistol after the helicopter crash. So the most accurate pistol with the most weathered form of the costume would be the 1911, or any of the following pistol designs. There are 2 versions of the 1911 really, the non-upgraded one, and the one with the upgraded grips. The first version has brown wooden grips and no finger contours, while the upgraded version has black grips featuring 2 diamonds and a circle, and has finger contours.

Non-upgraded
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b335/Bennuko/600px-TR2013_1911_3_zps095ea2c6.jpg

Upgraded (Roth's shown, but hers ends up just like Roth's only with a silver barrel)
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b335/Bennuko/600px-TR2013_1911_4_zps177578ca.jpg

TSD do an airsoft pistol which is almost identical to the upgraded model, the trigger is just a bit different, and there are no finger contours, plus the upper part of the barrel could be painted silver if you want to be uber accurate, but overall I think it's a pretty close match - (Pyramydair.com
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b...ol-Black_SDS601BBB_airsoft_lg_zpsef87e48a.jpg

Still on the lookout for more accurate pistols though :)

Awesome!
Is the lighter tied to the torch?
If so, do you think you could get a snap of the whole thing?

Also, while looking for a way to attach the pick, I noticed this small red/black carabiner on her belt:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v308/Nefeline/whatever2/karab_zps8e983a94.jpg

Hi!

I've just digested 25 pages of this amazing TR resource Thank-you to all the contributors so far - AWESOME.
I'm at the very beginning of creating my first ever costume so this is amazing.
So far I've got an Ohsen black and yellow watch for very reasonable money on ebay, a grey spaghetti strap vest, and am awaiting the first of many cargo pants for this (I tend to live in them anyway) as well as the official pendant freebie and stratedgy guide for a look. I also found a 1:1 of the dmm rebel to have a go at my own ice axe build :D So I have a very long way to go!

Anyway to the point: I think a reasonable match for the karabiner Nefeline spotted is the one that comes on my SIlva keyring compass, although I'm not sure how it will scale with the Ice Axe.
Link to Amazon : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silva-Keyri...8041741&sr=8-2&keywords=silva+compass+keyring

Hope this interests / helps someone :)

Ember, thanks for posting the detail pictures of Lara's recurve bow. I found them of great help in creating a functional version. Here are some finished shots:
il_570xN.629584604_6jad%5B1%5D.jpg
il_570xN.629460862_6ryv%5B1%5D.jpg
10547441_731467930248821_526222286660824887_n%5B1%5D.jpg
10464386_795194238572_5569416812389611331_n%5B1%5D.jpg
il_fullxfull.635951888_odb3.jpg
1610785_893911963969804_5731974547664744984_n.jpg

The bow itself is made from a 55" long section of 3/4" schedule 40 PVC fancied up and then strung with a paracord string. To take it up a notch I might one day make a Flemish twist string for it, but that will have to wait.

Tara Cash is modeling the bow, with John Nettles Jr. of City Light Studio doing the photography.

Last edited:
Nice work on the bow.
A friend of mine has made a few PVC bows including one for my niece.

I finally got around to buying the large pouch and scaling it down, so here it is for those that want to try their hand at making one.

Note that the snap location on the small pocket may have to be adjusted up once the pouch is assembled and filled.
large pouch pattern.jpg

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back