Tomb Raider Reborn Prop progress

Wow, I love how you done with the shirt, very realistic.

Thank you! It's been quite easy... I've just been playing about spraying brown and OD spray paint on it here and there, and I used a bit of the red paint from my axe project to put the bloodied bits round the area where that piece of rebar stabs Lara through her side in the game.

I went back after this picture was taken and used just small pressure on the spray nozzle of the red and produced some very cool looking blood spatters on the front of the shirt. I'll want to add a bit of flat black spatters too for dirt.

Can you tell that distressing things is my absolute FAVOURITE thing to do ever? :p

K.

The amount of detail and realism in this costume is unreal ( see what I did there) , looking forward to seeing it all come together.

Last edited:
Awesome work! I really loved the game, and I too purchased the LE guide specifically for the replica!

The Ice Axe is brilliant (as well as everything else)!

Hey guys...

Here's an update on the weathering/distressing of all of my gear. I've put the entire upper half of the costume on this manequin to show how it all goes together:

IMG_20130404_202948_zpsa0651830.jpg

IMG_20130404_203037_zps2cf42a74.jpg

IMG_20130404_203004_zps27730b3f.jpg

IMG_20130404_203058_zpsf175f8b2.jpg

IMG_20130404_203122_zpsd45ba87c.jpg

Here's a closeup of the correct buckle for the sling:

IMG_20130404_203134_zpsbfe24ca5.jpg

And a detail shot of the holster:

IMG_20130404_203220_zpse9b36773.jpg

Here's a peak at the final weathering of the ice axe:

IMG_20130404_214757_zps939a2c02.jpg

IMG_20130404_214739_zps4b8af950.jpg

IMG_20130404_214715a_zps8a8d0c31.jpg

A Galaxy full of thanks goes to JennCroft and Shona Heath for sending me this fantastic prop kit!!! I could not have even attempted something so awesome without your hard work, Ladies! Thank you soooo much!

K.

Haven't played the game yet, but this is a very nice ensemble! Nice job on the weathering on everything (axe also very good). But the pendant somehow stands out. Like I said, I haven't played the game so I don't know, but shouldn't it have some damage or weathering? It seems too "flawless" or something.

Haven't played the game yet, but this is a very nice ensemble! Nice job on the weathering on everything (axe also very good). But the pendant somehow stands out. Like I said, I haven't played the game so I don't know, but shouldn't it have some damage or weathering? It seems too "flawless" or something.

well there are a few things about the pendant. One, it's a bit too large. In the game her pendant looks to be about the size of a quarter. two, it differs quite a bit from the initial concept art.

I suppose I could deepen the dark lines with some black acrylic paint. Lara's doesn't really seem "distressed"... it's just that hers is made of Jade, whereas mine is made of painted metal. Perhaps I need a bit of light green variation added to it as well, to give it a more jade-like appearance.

I dunno... there are several cosplayers who have been putting out their own, but none really look any better to me than this. they all seem too rough, too thick, too much like play-doh. I dunno... i'm sure I'll work out something for it once it's the last thing that I need to fret with.

I REALLY have to choose some pants! I have three hopefuls... I just can't decide which I prefer the look and fit of best. Once I've done that i can start cutting them up and dirtying them.

I *may* attempt the trench shotgun or the assault rifle as well... I'm not sure yet. I don't want to have to carry TOO many things around with me :p

K.

AMAZING job! Congrats.

It's coming up to be the best 2013 Tomb Raider costume ever made!

well thank you... I don't know that it's going to compete with the likes of JennCroft, Shona Heath or TheLadyNerd but I'm having fun doing it just the same :D

K.

This is awesome! fantastic work, I love the attention to detail and the weathering is simply brilliant!

Thanks very much!

It's funny, but virtually every time that i make a prop or a costume piece I'm generally not so impressed with it until i start to distress it some; make it look lived in.

Wonderful job so far! The pistol, holster and pic are awesome! How do you plan to weather the rest of the outfit? Are there any trade secrets to weathering clothing?

Great job! :)

Last edited:
This thread is awesome. All your work on this is great, thanks for sharing your " secrets" of weathering. A lot of people have a problem with sharing. Thank you.

Wonderful job so far! The pistol, holster and pic are awesome! How do you plan to weather the rest of the outfit? Are there any trade secrets to weathering clothing?

Great job! :)

well I dunno about trade secrets, but I've just been using a combination of dashes of the same spray paint that i'd used on the quiver, and dry brushing on brown acrylic paint for dirt.

I think I'll try the drybrushed acrylic on my skin when it's time to dirty up, too.

K.

well thank you... I don't know that it's going to compete with the likes of JennCroft, Shona Heath or TheLadyNerd but I'm having fun doing it just the same :D

K.

I like theirs, but yours is more distressed and therefore looks far more real.

Love it! Can't wait to see it finished :)

BTW: if you do the shotgun, have it slung over your back and carry the gun and ice axe - like in the main artwork where she's standing there all bruised and battered, looking determined, and ready to go to war.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back