To Factory Entertainment..MIB Neuralyzer Why?

BlackMarketMagi

I'm thrilled that there are so many MIB replicas going to be coming down the pipeline but when I heard Factory Entertainment is going to make a neuralyzer as their first replica off the MIB 1 & 2 line, I was dissapointed, it honestly seemed just plain stupid.
Here's why...

1 The neuralyzer has already been done to death. By MR alone there is a 1000 plus out there all ready, besides the indy runs from 1 & 2 we all know about and several toy versions. Given the current economy, the prop collecting world is not huge & the price of one of these babies, you have just eliminated a huge chunk of your already not so huge market.

2. Now factor in that personally since I already own a MR one you are devaluing my replica since there will presumably be another 500-1000 of these out there making them not as rare or valuable so you just added insult to injury & screwed me as well. So you are not helping your customer base or loyalty either.

3. With all the new MIB 3 stuff coming out, you are just letting the competition slaughter you. Instead of creating competition by putting out, I don't know let's say one of the the most desired MIB gun replicas like the J2 (Kay's pistol), where you would have all the MIB collectors interested since there have never been any real official runs. Instead you put out something they already have. So even if I did still want this new version, I wouldn't buy it first. I'd buy the new MIB 3 stuff or stuff I didn't have before buying an alternate version of something I already own.

It really makes no sense from a business stand point to shoot yourself in the foot. I know making "gun" replicas is harder but really? The only thing worse to have picked would be the Noisy Cricket since there have been 2 of those already.

BTW Here's a quick list of other MIB items, not all guns, any would be a smarter or better choice in my opinion.

J2
J2 Double barrel
Tri-barrel rifle
Any other big gun

Non-gun items

Communicator
Orions belt
MIB 2 Light braclet
Alien Identifier metal with working lights

Its probably not as stupid as you think when you think of numbers and selling from a business point of view.

The Neuralyzer is one if not 'the' most important and biggest props from the MIB films, we know that it sells, they pick up a handsome sum on ebay, so when you are deciding what to put out there as your first replica, you are going to go with something which you know will sell.

From a business perspective, that's what it is all about, especially for the first in the replica line. Manufacturing and selling a safe bet.

Some of the guns would be awesome, but there is also a risk that something like the tri barrel would be too expensive to produce and sell narrowing the chance of selling in greater volumes too much.

Whilst i agree with your points, and would want to see something new, especially the J2, you also have to consider that these guys are running a business and will go with what they believe will be a success in the prop market.
Due to demand, they know they will sell Neuralyzers and in many ways they are also putting out a product that many people still want to add to their collection, so in some ways they are giving the fans what they want!

2. Now factor in that personally since I already own a MR one you are devaluing my replica since there will presumably be another 500-1000 of these out there making them not as rare or valuable so you just added insult to injury & screwed me as well. So you are not helping your customer base or loyalty either.

Unfrtunately they won't take this into consideration at all. They're out to make money not consider collectors feelings. From a business standpoint, I don't really blame them. :unsure

Regarding point number 2, I am certain that ANY company doesn't give two squirts about the value of your collection. They are trying to turn a profit by selling product. Their mission statement does not include protecting the value of your collectibles. I'm certain about it.

By "doing it to death" in the past, this means that the prop has been thoroughly researched and debugged, so R&D time is minimal. That's a big plus for a company hoping to produce a product.

As stated previously, it's probably THE most iconic prop in the movie. With MIB3 due to hit theaters eventually, and awareness rising, which prop do you think the average collector is going to remember? The J2? doubt it.

Lastly, keep in mind that the RPF only represents one slice of the demographic a prop company is aiming for. Granted, we are a very vocal slice, and perhaps high profile, but I'll betcha companies like MR/Hasbro sold way more fx sabers to casual fans than they did to RPF members. I think there's a huge market out there for movie props, especially one as iconic as the Nerualyzer.

I'm sure they'll make a million bucks!

Pretty simple, they are doing it because there is still a demand for them.

Look at the crazy prices the Mr's go for on the bay.

As Matt has said 0 research on this makes it a huge money-maker for them.

I have a Mr and I will have a factory E one as well!

Do we even know if it's a MiB 1 or 2 neuralyzer? You say you have the Master Replicas version (which is a MiB 2 flashy thingie). If FE releases one of the TWO different versions from the first film - or even both - that means those are two new replicas that aren't just rehashes of the MR neuralyzer.

Factory E only has the License for the first 2 films so it will have to be

I meant will it be the older one (with year display) or newer one (without display) from MiB 1, or the MiB 2 version? There's potential for FE to release 3 different versions of the neuralyzer.

The MR neuralyzer was inaccurate in many ways. FE have obtained the CORRECT sound effects. They are featuring a brighter flash. The small recessed area with the two small "rivets" will be featured on this one which is more correct to screen seen ones.

Basically, they are replicating a different hero version of the prop and doing it better with higher quality construction than the MR. Trust me, I owned one and I have done the research.

BTW. the announcement says the MIIB version.

I for one will buy one, no question about it. It's a replica that many people will know and something that will standout in my collection.

I am going to get it too. I liked the MR but the sound effects bothered me. They are so clearly incorrect but MR would not admit it at the time and apparently Sony is also to blame.

Edit: There is also virtually no way to devalue a replica produced by a defunct company. Quite the opposite really. There may be a demand for MR replicas because some collectors buy multiple iterations of the same prop.

Don't worry, their next replica is going to be really cool too.

BTW: there is actually a ton of research going into this. Specifically to make it more accurate than the MR.

Last edited by a moderator:
My MR Neuralizer was just a battery drainer I had to take them out for them to not run down over night. Open or closed. And hated the, look at my penis, stand.

Didn't make the cut. I was hoping someone would try again.

By "doing it to death" in the past, this means that the prop has been thoroughly researched and debugged, so R&D time is minimal. That's a big plus for a company hoping to produce a product.

:thumbsup

And aren't FE ex-MR fellows anyway ? So all the blueprints, contacts for production etc, would already be in hand.

:thumbsup

And aren't FE ex-MR fellows anyway ? So all the blueprints, contacts for production etc, would already be in hand.

Yeah MR was bought by FE.

I understand iconic but I also realize that at $300-500 that's a big price tag on a glorified dust collector and unless I am making a set of bookends I don't need two.

Take the FE Golden Gun for example, they made 1000 of the regular run and still haven't sold out. Given it is easily the most iconic of all James Bond props and had never been done officially before that should tell you something. Bond is way more popular than MIB. If MIB was as hugely popular there would have been a new movie in the last 10 years.

So if there is already 1200 neuralyzers (1000 MR & 200 other makers) out there and say only half won't buy another that's still 600 sales. How big a market for MIB replicas do you really believe there is? Again if it was huge, it would already be there. And with 2 other companies offering new MIB products they are competing for those dollars. There is a finite amount of MIB replica money and lets just say 600 sales at $350 is around $210,000. A pretty big number to ignore.

Should they care about devaluing my collection, technically no, but it is good business sense to at least appear to. Especially considering they want me to invest my money in their product, they are ex MR people, and I am a previous customer. You should always try and make your customer happy if you want to be successful. A basic marketing rule is returning customers are easier to get sales from and more profitable than trying to get new ones.

There are no guarantees it will sell just because something did in the past. If the other companies are selling big ticket items then smaller runs of less expensive products could easily win out. What is for sure is if they don't make a profit at it then the hopes of seeing other MIB 1 & 2 products will diminish and may go back into hibernation for another 10 years.

I'm not putting FE down BTW, I'm sure it will be nicely done, just disappointed in the MIB direction. I am excited about all of their new Bond stuff so they are getting my money either way.

I meant will it be the older one (with year display) or newer one (without display) from MiB 1, or the MiB 2 version? There's potential for FE to release 3 different versions of the neuralyzer.
It will be the neuralyzer from MIB2, as was the MR version.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back