Titanic documentary fail on PBS

The new special on history this sunday at 8 looks good. It's a follow up to all the expeditions they funded. whatever happened to the sets from the movie? they should be in a museum.

The new special on history this sunday at 8 looks good. It's a follow up to all the expeditions they funded. whatever happened to the sets from the movie? they should be in a museum.

I think many of them were destroyed when they dunked them underwater for the sinking.

When we went to CV in Orlando we went to the Titanic exhibit. It was awesome. I enjoyed it more than the convention. If you're going to CVI please make some time to go. It's very well done. The guide does it in character. Several areas of the ship are recreated. The end is done very respectfully and was quite moving.
John
My wife and I toured a Titanic exhibit in Las Vegas three or four years ago. There were over 100 artifacts on display that had been recovered, a replica of the "Grand Staircase", newspaper clippings, and so on. The only real "recreation" they had was a section of the ship's deck that was maintained at approximately 31°F (the reported ambient temperature in the North Atlantic at the time Titanic struck the iceberg) to give visitors an idea of what the weather conditions were like on the night the ship sank. The final exhibit was a 25-foot-long scale model of the wreckage at the bottom of the North Atlantic (though they closed the distance considerably between the fore and aft debris fields). It was definitely worth seeing and, as you stated, respectfully presented.

My wife and I toured a Titanic exhibit in Las Vegas three or four years ago. There were over 100 artifacts on display that had been recovered, a replica of the "Grand Staircase", newspaper clippings, and so on. The only real "recreation" they had was a section of the ship's deck that was maintained at approximately 31°F (the reported ambient temperature in the North Atlantic at the time Titanic struck the iceberg) to give visitors an idea of what the weather conditions were like on the night the ship sank.

Yeah, the exhibit varied depending on where you saw it. In Milwaukee, we got re-creations of each class of staterooms, the Grand Staircase, and what looked like it could have been the cafe but it had artifacts instead of tables.

What was neat in Milwaukee was that they had it open late on the anniversary of Titanic's sinking so as you went through the exhibit they did a retelling of major events over the intercom. "The time is now 12:45 am and the first lifeboat is lowered away."

My wife and I toured a Titanic exhibit in Las Vegas three or four years ago. There were over 100 artifacts on display that had been recovered, a replica of the "Grand Staircase", newspaper clippings, and so on. The only real "recreation" they had was a section of the ship's deck that was maintained at approximately 31°F (the reported ambient temperature in the North Atlantic at the time Titanic struck the iceberg) to give visitors an idea of what the weather conditions were like on the night the ship sank. The final exhibit was a 25-foot-long scale model of the wreckage at the bottom of the North Atlantic (though they closed the distance considerably between the fore and aft debris fields). It was definitely worth seeing and, as you stated, respectfully presented.

Sounds like the one in Orlando. When they take you "out" on the deck they make all the women get on one side and all the men on the other then tell you to say your goodbyes. Then they have you keep your hand on a block of ice for a minute and it really starts to hurt. They then tell you that was the air temp and the water was colder.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back