Tips on photographing props?

Sean

Sr Member
Hey guy's and girls.

I was just wondering If you all could give some tips on prop photo's. I'm wanting to start an album of my collection thus far. and would like some professionalism to It.
I'm sure allot of you guys use programs maybe to take stuff out that's holding the prop up possibly. I'm clueless In that field. the only photo manipulation I can perform is in Photobucket tools.

My collection Is still In what I would call it's infancy but growing . but one day want to start a true collection thread also.

So just any tips tricks you guys could possibly share would be more than appreciated.
Oh and one last question please.
Can the photo's I put on here from my PC and not a sharing host be made big like all the one's I see? not sure how you all do that.

much thanks given for any help or advice...

Sean.

I am no photographer, but I would start with a visit to you tube and type in "model photography" or Display Photography" For things like building a light box, and camera settings

I am no photographer, but I would start with a visit to you tube and type in "model photography" or Display Photography" For things like building a light box, and camera settings

I will have a look. as far as setting my camera. that's a whole new problem. I had a digital camera that was easy for me to get the settings were I wanted them. It got stolen. got a new one over a year ago and still can't figure it out even with the instructions.

Agree with @clonesix, a light box is your best bet. Alternatively, natural light and a clean background with make things look great. Also, giving yourself plenty of depth makes photos looks so much better. Even an iPhone can take a pro-looking shot if you place the lens close to your object and leave plenty of depth in the background. The background will be blurry, like you're using a long lens. Lastly, watch out for casting shadows on your prop from your camera or hands.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree with @clonesix, a light box is your best bet. Alternatively, natural light and a clean background with make things look great. Also, giving yourself plenty of depth makes photos looks so much better. Even an iPhone can take a pro-looking shot if you place the lens close to your object and leave plenty of depth in the background. The background will be blurry, like you're using a long lens. Lastly, watch out for casting shadows on your prop from your camera or hands.

So depth is having the background backdrop far as possible from the prop?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup. Oh and to make your photos bigger, once you upload them, double click the photo. It brings up the image settings and you can select your size. Medium is always good to start with so you don't clutter up your posts.
Screen Shot 2015-07-06 at 2.04.51 PM.png

Yup. Oh and to make your photos bigger, once you upload them, double click the photo. It brings up the image settings and you can select your size. Medium is always good to start with so you don't clutter up your posts.
View attachment 497466

Thanks. the whole time Iv'e posted pics. I never seen that before..

- - - Updated - - -

test.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Pulse-Rifle-Aliens-scene.jpg
    Pulse-Rifle-Aliens-scene.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 267
Last edited:
Looks like you can, I just played around with it. Edit your post, then there are two places to edit. Choose the one at the very bottom below your thumbnail. When you click that edit link you can select an option to "manage attachments." Once that dialogue box opens, you can click an x on the corner of that thumbnail.

attachment.php

Edit: nevermind! My picture now appears as a question mark. Doesn't look like you can.

Last edited:
Looks like you can, I just played around with it. Edit your post, then there are two places to edit. Choose the one at the very bottom below your thumbnail. When you click that edit link you can select an option to "manage attachments." Once that dialogue box opens, you can click an x on the corner of that thumbnail.

http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=497496&stc=1

Edit: nevermind! My picture now appears as a question mark. Doesn't look like you can.

Worked for mine? I take that back. hhmmm I still have some learning to do..

Thanks probe Droid and everyone helping. don't have light setup at the moment. but please bare with me through this. want to test as I go.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0823.JPG
    IMG_0823.JPG
    329.7 KB · Views: 275
I'm not the best at pics but i know light is your friend (not a flash) and i try and step back and zoom in, it seems to give a better depth.

View attachment 497466

i'm not seeing this at all. when i click on an uploaded pic (onto this server) it just opens up in a new box.

Thanks Zorg. I'm just running some very crude test at the moment. don't have much light to work with but will get some lighting.

Stepped back and zoomed...

test.
attachment.php

Hey Zorg do you know how to ditch the thumb box at the bottom?

Attachments

• IMG_0824.JPG
    IMG_0824.JPG
    362.2 KB · Views: 240
Your light source is all on one side, which is why you're getting the shadow. Either put lights on both sides or use a reflector to bounce the light back towards the source to eliminate the shadow. A white sheet of printer paper, a white paper plate, or a piece of tin foil can be used in a pinch.

Keep experimenting. Good luck.

i'm not seeing this at all. when i click on an uploaded pic (onto this server) it just opens up in a new box.

That's In manage attachment's. In the drop down box load the pic. after loded and done before post reply. click Image twice and that pops up. new to me too..

If you are referring to posting your pics on the site, try linking from a site like photobucket or flickr. That's what I use as opposed to posting attachments on the site. Like So?

Of course, I need to follow some of the photo tips posted in the earlier the thread.

-Eric

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back