Tinting Lenses

IndridColdx

Hi there!
I was planning on doing a Kaine spidey and originally wanted to get ben reilly style lenses and paint them orange, but after reading Yost's Kaine run his lenses look a lot more like ASM2 style (depending on the artist)

kainetalk.png

So I think I'll use asm2 style lenses+faceshell and paint it orange, but I also want to make the mesh and dome orange tinted.
How do I tint the acryllic dome that comes with tjack's asm2 lenses orange?

I'd try this - Tamiya Clear Orange Acrylic. I used the red one on the tail light of an old VW Beetle I restored and it's good stuff. Building up coats gives you a darker tint.

You could also mix orange & red:

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=81026

Thank you!
So you suggest spray painting it on? I was reading elsewhere to soak it in dye but I fear it would warp the dome

Edit: nvm, saw it was paint not spray paint.
So you would just brush it on?

Personally I would spray it as it will be streaky if you brush it. They may sell this in a spray form but if not, use a cheap airbrush kit.

Scott

rv39200.jpg

Tamiya make a 100ml aerosol version so that will work perfectly :)

It's available in the USA so hopefully you'll be able to get it easily in Canada.

That would be tricky but as long as you let the initial orange coat completely dry and then spray a very light coat of red, it will work. I'd test on a piece of clear acrylic first. You might find that building up coats of orange will give a dark enough tint.

Spray the inside of the lenses and the paint will be less prone to scratching.

That would be tricky but as long as you let the initial orange coat completely dry and then spray a very light coat of red, it will work. I'd test on a piece of clear acrylic first. You might find that building up coats of orange will give a dark enough tint.

Spray the inside of the lenses and the paint will be less prone to scratching.

Thank you, this is great advice!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back