Time Bandits map

JOATRASH FX

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Note: this thread has now turned into a progress thread for my version of the map. New pics and info will be added as needed. Look below for the latest images.

Is anyone sitting on any good photos of the actual prop map (any version) from Time Bandits and would like to share them? I want to know what is says in all the small symbols and screencaps are worthless for picking out the small details. I have one of the old fan-made versions, but a lot of the tiny print has been left out of it.

Originally posted by joatrash@Mar 14 2006, 01:25 PM
Yeah, I Googled the hell out of it and didn't find anything useful.
[snapback]1205439[/snapback]​

Here's all I have, but it's still hard to recognize anything. I hope it helps.

-Brenton

[attachmentid=7207]

[attachmentid=7208]

[attachmentid=7209]

Well, when the last run of these were made someone came forward with the actual TIFF file of the real prop from the movie.
Thats what the last version of maps were made from.

Someone has it...

Also the Special Edition DVD came with a small version of the map that provided additional text along the border.

Member kapow did the artwork for the ones I printed but they didn't have the border text. It was unknown at the time.

A THIRD version was made but not by me. It had the border text but was printed on an inferior material and the image wasn't nearly as sharp. Sadly I no longer have access to the printing machines I used to or I would do another run.

Heya Ballinski... sincere thanks for the offer but I don't need screen-captures. (I can do that myself and they're not good enough, even on the latest "rescanned" DVD version.) :)

The fan-made one I have was drawn by Kapow. It's very clean- no weathering and very "perfect" graphics. It's a good looking map for sure, but I want the version I am doing to be a lot rougher.

I can't imagine how the originals were made unless they were hand-painted or screen-printed by hand onto the canvas. I would guess that since the film was very low-budget, they wouldn't have been able to employ any cutting-edge tech when making them and that was years before DTP, Illustrator, Photoshop and so on anyway. I have the version on the 2-disc DVD too, but that scan isn't perfect- some bits seem to be misaligned.

What I am doing is using the DVD-version for reference. I'll likely clean up and redo a lot from scratch, but I want to keep it kinda "rough" so I may opt to keep the unitelligable lettering as it is, but "enhanced" and cleaned up. I can't just scan it anyway, because there is the issue of print-dots and moiré patterns developing.

I wish I could hlep with this, but I don't have access to any resources that have not already been mentioned. I'll just have to provide "moral support" by wishing you the best of luck on this project. I would love to have a version of this map on canvas. I'll watching for progress :thumbsup

Originally posted by joatrash@Mar 14 2006, 04:29 PM
I can't just scan it anyway, because there is the issue of print-dots and moiré patterns developing.
[snapback]1205552[/snapback]​

I can help clean all that up for you if you'd like... It is possible to scan it and bring it back to its original context as if it were created in illustrator before.

Thanks again for the offer RM. I've got it covered for now. :)

The run my friend and I are doing (if it turns out well) will be printed on a current-model high-end Canon photo-printer. Looks like it will be done on white canvas and we're also thinking of giving it a matte-laminate for protection. Look for an announcement in the JY soon, we just have to get some details sorted.

I've got a few hours down on it now, redrawing details. (File size is upwards of 1gb. Print size will be roughly 25X35.) The more I study the original from the DVD, the more I am convinced that it was hand-drawn. A lot of the detailing is very asymmetrical and uneven. The small print seems to be written in Latin. I want to keep the grime and dirt in the print, but I'm unsure if I should incorporate the fold-creases or not. The final version is definately going to look hand-drawn and rough. Will post some progress pics soon.

In my opinion you should not include the creases or weathering..I have one of Micdavis' maps and it looks great once it has real weathering on it..Folds and dirt and such.
This is just my opinion and if yours look awesome I'll be down for a copy ;)

The question there would be accuracy- which is more accurate a printed version with more or less exact weathering or a clean version weathered "for real"? The weathering on the actual map is very distinct and some of the "weathering details" would be hard to get exactly right.

If there is enough demand, we could possibly let everyone choose which version they want. What I was thinking of doing is keeping the stains, color-fades and built-up grime in the map because they are so blended together with the symbols and details in the map.

If you're going to offer both a printed weathered version and a cleaned up version, could you post a picture of both so we could choose which one fits best for us.

Thanks,
Brenton

First image.

I've spent the last two days drawing blue squiggly lines. Now I have to spend two more days drawing white squiggly lines. Then I can get to work on the symbols. Remember, this is not going to be an idealized map. Weathered or clean, almost every flaw and crooked line will be there. (I actually have to spend time screwing up the white latitude lines to make them blend in.)

map_demo.jpg

Still a long way to go though. :)

(thanks to the Wackychimp)

Originally posted by joatrash@Mar 15 2006, 11:23 PM
First image.

I've spent the last two days drawing blue squiggly lines. Now I have to spend two more days drawing white squiggly lines. Then I can get to work on the symbols. Remember, this is not going to be an idealized map. Weathered or clean, almost every flaw and crooked line will be there. (I actually have to spend time screwing up the white latitude lines to make them blend in.)

map_demo.jpg

Still a long way to go though.  :)
[snapback]1206574[/snapback]​

That is coming along really nice...

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back