Tie Pilot Chest Box gear found part search

What’s under the nut part
already found this particular one and discounted it, though it is the closest thing yet on my quest

I just received a picture (always looking for Tie Pilot pics BTW) that shows this interesting detail...the center is cut out under the cross line. I’ve seen nothing even close to this is all my searching. What could that be for?

73AF2DB8-2D33-4467-A83A-4DF58BCC44BA.jpeg

It's been a bad few weeks. I'm just getting back to something resembling normal now. We have too much of 2020 left for me to truly hope for this, but if I can make it the rest of the year without anyone in my life dying, I'd be grateful. Anyway, I wanted to post something I've had for a minute, but got derailed before I could put it up here. Some friends of mine have a bottom-freezer fridge whose freezer drawer has been slowly failing for some time. This part either fell out or was removed to make it work somewhat better until they can replace the whole thing:

KIMG0317.JPG

I don't remember seeing drawer glides mentioned as a thing delved into. Someone want to run with this? I don't have the mental bandwidth yet to tackle a serious delve.

The cut out under the center bar is for sure there

I’ll look into drawer parts , but I don’t think that’s it.

after looking at so many cogs/gears/sprockets I’m thinking it’s from a model tank kit of some sort

(and I changed the title )

Here are my thoughts. The color of the cog reminds me of a bulk film loader for 35mm film. There is indeed a grey cog inside one brand that I found a picture of, but it is not right. Of course, the TIE cog was painted, but that could have been so that they all matched one specific one.

Any local camera store might have current and vintage film loaders, so you can look at various ones. The design has not changed since they started making the plastic ones, though most brands probably aren't around anymore. Every high school and college photo lab had DOZENS of these, going back decades. And we know the props people on ANH used lots of photography-related found parts. Some of the brands of film loaders are Watson, Prinz, Arista, Alden, Western, and many others you can find with a search for Bulk Film Loader.

The center notches on the TIE cog hub indicate that it accepted a crank handle, EXACTLY like the bulk film loader removable handle. Although on the film loader shown here, I think the crack goes to a different part, but it would fit exactly to the cog center hub notches, it seems.

Other items could have accepted a similar crank handle, such as the Visible V8, Visible Wankel, or some other model with gears and cogs.

It could also be from a toy with gears, cogs, and crank handles, similar to these I have shown here for inspiration. I realize they are not the right cogs in these toys, it is just to spark ideas for everyone. Though it seems more likely to be from a model kit than from a toy.

Happy hunting!

Screenshot_2019-08-27_at_15.56.09_grande.png
rksmglrkemdf.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
vintage-playskool-busy-gears-basic_1_766ca67f54bbc4756e3b660af0f323dc.jpg
s-l400.jpg

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back