Tie Pilot Chest Box gear found part search

RBJ

Sr Member
Well, like most of us I’m stuck and home..so why not go on a treasure hunt!

As far as I know the bottom gear on the TiePilot chestbox has never been identified. Let’s see if we can figure this one out.

Here’s all I know:

18 teeth
Made of white plastic painted grey

I’ve been looking at what it may be:
RC car part
Model kit part
Printer gear

Anyone have any ideas what the real part is?
F610AE78-B9F4-4C34-A792-AD37D5D3EF4B.jpeg

Last edited:
I think I remember a old thread dealing with this question and if my memory serves me right there was a old printer mentioned.
It might just be a wrong memory but could be worth widening the search...

This is driving me nuts...

I’ve looked at so many plastic gears..

Closest candidates so far seem to be garage door opener or a copier machine...

An important aspect of what to consider is WHEN it is from. A printer or photocopier from the 70s, or earlier, may be nearly impossible to find any literature from.
The shaft it was mounted on has a hole where a pin goes through to retain the gear and also prevent the gear from rotating on the shaft.

TazMan2000

An important aspect of what to consider is WHEN it is from. A printer or photocopier from the 70s, or earlier, may be nearly impossible to find any literature from.
The shaft it was mounted on has a hole where a pin goes through to retain the gear and also prevent the gear from rotating on the shaft.

TazMan2000

Oh I know..I’m looking at things from 1975 and earlier. But as you said not a lot to go on

WHEN is the key identifier. Many props were aircraft and military surplus. I changed the paper towels in the automatic dispenser today, there are gears in there, there were paper towel dispensers on planes in the 70$

Anyone thought about an old turntable gear? I know I have heard a lot of of music equipment may have been dismantled for some things. I am just throwing darts at things of the era that may have had larger plastic gears.

Closest I’ve found taking tooth profile, thickness and mounting so far is a oil pump gear...but from what? (Pic is Yamaha)

82B634F7-E3EC-4568-895C-F6161D9A7754.jpeg

You know what used gears like this one? EVERTHING!

This is a tough one...latest hunch is it’s some kind of dispenser gear...

The original part has 3 E pins....injection molding points on the mold where the liquid plastic entered the mold to form the part......like the sprues on model kit parts ... the oil pump part has 8 E pins..... suggesting either a larger part needing more plastic, or a similar sized part needing more dense plastic at the same rate..to produce a more durable part to sustain heavier loads......a pump gear would have to sustain more torque load than a 'printer type thing' gear........ so the part came from a wimpier thingy than a pump ?

BITD I used the internals of a vhs tape spool....but looking at the gears INSIDE the player itself sees possibilities in tooth profile......BUT. TIME and PLACE matter the most
1. it only takes one part to copy 24 times....assuming12 sets
2. more likely a pump part cause AA did fishy ponsz...but would he go that far????

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back