Tie Interceptor 1/350 scratch

joeydee

This one started as a "project in project" for a bigger scene, but turned out to be a nice separate display.

i51055bkcore.jpg

Started with an 8 mm decoration bead and some plastic.
(Cutting mat grid is 10mm)

i51056br15s0.jpg

Guns too fat - I removed them later. The cockpit hole was carefully drilled by hand. Several tries, I took the one that was mostly centered.
Painted black, so I can actually see it.

i51057bvbwq1.jpg

i51082bzj268.jpg

The wings were engraved with a cameo plotter and cut out by hand. 4 Layers to show the grid and the frame both inside and outside.

i51123brn9sn.jpg

Some glue and color.

i51081bdzdqm.jpg

Access hatch and cockpit window

i51132b9jhhr.jpg

First cast of the body. Bubble at the exhaust, but still usable.

i51133bbjsmw.jpg

Mounted. Still without cannons.

i51242bl4pee.jpg

For my actual project I needed a DS2-like test piece to try coloring complex structures without masking.
So I documented the process and colors that worked best for me. I tend to forget such things ...
The tiles are scratched, too.

i51243bqyopm.jpg

i51244b4utue.jpg

i51245b71xt2.jpg

i51241b48t3z.jpg

Done. Tie Patrol over Death Star 2.
It's a 3" hockey puck below.

Love it! While I love the TIE, I love the base even more. I was thinking of doing something similar.

Question: how did you do the clear sections for the TIE windows? And, what is a cameo plotter? Hats off to you, sir. That is wonderful stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

Love it! While I love the TIE, I love the base even more. I was thinking of doing something similar.

Question: how did you do the clear sections for the TIE windows? And, what is a cameo plotter? Hats off to you, sir. That is wonderful stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

Niffty little machine:

http://www.silhouettecameo.com/

Did you accomplish this using the cameo software I got one for Christmas from my wife last year and other then setting it up have not really put it to use.
Are you using the standard or pay for the better software?

Also I must say in a world of 3-D printers the scratch building and this entire build of the base and Tie is just amazing.. Really great stuff.

I use Illustrator to export dxf files, then plot it with the cameo software.
I work with Illustrator since years in my job, and bought the CS2 version years ago for private use. I didn't buy the cameo plugin for Illustrator, don't know if it works with my old version.

Yes, I still love scratching and kitbashing with my hands more than in virtual environments and then printing. It's a very different way how ideas evolve and come to life.
Although computer graphics (2D, 3D, coding, ...) are not uncommon to me.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back