Thundercats Sword of Omens build (6/10 - first pull - w. images pg.9)

fevereon

Been wanting sight beyond sight since i was a lil' bit, and figured I'd share the build :)

Started this back in June or so, but had been really busy with other projects, conventions and such, but now prop season is in full swing, and i'm able to return to this.

Anywhoo, I found some images on the net, which has character reference sheets, and some decent images of the SoO, and drew up my plans based on those and a couple on show images.

right now its a bit sparse imagewise, but its not like a lot had been done, but here's a couple images of what I have so far..
--------------------
This was made from a large xmas ornament I bought at Walmart when they went on clearance.
Cut the ornament open, then poured resin on the inside & popped it out. the white is thin styrene, which was terribly heat shaped over it (no vacuum former...yet), cut out with an xacto, and glued on. This wound up being covered by a revision, because there were a lot of gaps i didn't like, and wanted to try a different technique. will post that later!
1-%20eye.jpg

...and an ultra exciting photo of the blade portion. to do the groove, i bevelled two pieces of wood and glued them together to avoid the nuisance of having to carve it out. After they were glued, i rough shaped it on a belt sander and did most of the work with a surform and files.
2-blade.jpg

More wips coming soon! Thanks for looking guys!

Edit: oops! didn't attach refs right, here they are :)

Last edited:
Re: Sword of Omens build

wow, that is super cool, as far as the heat treated plastic, why not try 2 part epoxy like magic sculpt? you can roll it out pretty thin, appy it on and when it starts to firm up cut it out using a stencil with an exacto blade, when dry sand it to the thickness you need.
Looks great and the blade looks amazing.

Thanks guys! Its nice to be back in the groove on this project!

here's the redo of the eye, in which I masked the symbol with tape, sprayed a bunch of coats of rustoleum stainless steel industrial paint, and peeled the masking off. Its more subtle than the styrene bevel! The spray emulsified the tape adhesive a bit, but i luckily got it removed by puling it off with more of the same tape. after sanding the thing a lil, this is the result. The nicks are actually smoothed over :)
3-eye.jpg

i wanted to add texture to the recessed elements of the blade, so I sprayed down some 3m sandblaster sandpaper (gatorgrit & norton 3x = :p ) This part i tapered a lil different to the refs, to add a personal touch (actually, the sanding belt took a lil more off than planned, thought it looked nicer, ran with it )
5-crossguard.jpg

Here's the middle section with styrene added on after the sandpaper was laid down. will be sculpting the base of the blade from Epoxie sculpt! (thanks for reminding me chuckbaby, got 2 1.2 tubs of the stuff)
4-hilt.jpg

Hello all, sorry for the lack of updates for a bit, but got to put some work into this this evening....

Epoxied styrene on and began trimming the excess. this
ll get puttied after all the edging is done!
6-crossguard2.jpg

building up the center element with bondo, and began refining it. It (obviously needs some more work! )
7-center-putty.jpg

8-crossguard-3.jpg

Looks sweet, cant wait to see how youre gonna do the handle. I think you can find fake gemstones to match the ones in the grip.

AMAZING! I'm a bit of a self proclamed wanna be expert on the Sword of Omens and other Thundercats items. This is one of the only times I've seen this piece done justice. All of you shapes and tapers look pretty much spot on form what I've always idealized them to be. What size did you use for the Eye?

A bit more progress was done over the last couple days, but I'm trying to decide if i should make the "teeth" at the base of the guard a rounded or flat form, I can't tell from the refs, because its missing in the top image of the reference sheets ( I'm guessing its either recessed or they just plain ol' forgot to draw it), At this point, its been a "figure it out when i get there" thing, but any suggestions are welcome!

chuckbaby-, I'll be making one segment, then molding it up and popping out 7 more to assemble into the rest of the handle.. that'll in turn be molded for a full handle. I'll make and mold the gems, since they're pretty specific to the this design.. it'll be a pain though :p

the eye is just short of 2 1/2 inches

Jimjim- i don't have plans for it, still want to do the dagger form of this.

CaptainEO- thanks!

Omicron- Yeah, that was kinda weird considering how big the fandom is, that some company hasn't licensed the sword.

Sizewise, the eye is 2 15/32"

More wip photos will go up later :)

sweet job. I have had a sword of omens project going for a little bit now. of course we have been working ( in bits here and there) towards making this a functional sword.

We decided to go with cad to build the guard, and then go the cad/cam route towards have the initial prototype milled. later we will cast this in steel or some other type of metal.

anyhow here is one of the rendering of the guard... one day this will see the light of day and the heat of the forge
3dv2render.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back