Question Three Seperate Ads = too much? (resolved)

rocketeer25

Sr Member
Guys,

I know the point of the ads, but can do we have to have a middle "level" of ads touting the RPF shirt or now, a mobile app to read the RPF? I mean, with a 21 inch monitor, I have to scroll down to see the first thread in a forum. It's getting to be too much...

Just sayin'...

Guys,

I know the point of the ads, but can do we have to have a middle "level" of ads touting the RPF shirt or now, a mobile app to read the RPF? I mean, with a 21 inch monitor, I have to scroll down to see the first thread in a forum. It's getting to be too much...

Just sayin'...

Lonnie,

Question for you. Are you seeing the small RPF ad UNDER the google adsense or beside it? It is supposed to be beside the Google Adsense Ad so no additional veritcal space was taken. It seems that on some monitors it is showing up below the Google Adsense instead of beside it (which would annoy me as well).

Art

Seriously??? FOUR ad banners at the top of the page?

Okay, I never minded seeing the occasional ad banner on the RPF, sponsors are sponsors and they happen to deal in things I like.

Opened the page today and the entire top was nothing but ads. :confused

Finally installed an ad blocker on my browser 'cause of that silliness.

Re: Seriously??? FOUR ad banners at the top of the page?

I have 2 from sponsors at the top of mine and 2 from non sponsors.

Yea, I can understand having Sideshow and WETA banners but netflix and cell phone adverts?

I just installed adblock plus for firefox, it works great. No ads at all.

I count three plus one ad for rpf stuff.

It's pretty big for me as well (using chrome browser). Here is what I see on every thread (although it does kind of make me want a shirt, lol):

RPF.jpg

Last edited:

I don't particularly care if there are ads, but when I have to scroll down more than 50% more than I had to before to get to the content, well, that's a little insane. Especially when Art mentioned the fact that he was considering changing the new logos and hotlinks to a tiny ~15 pixel toolbar in order to get to the content faster. In that light, this goes directly against the vision of the site. Seriously, guys. One, two ads are perfectly fine IMO. Four... well...

I have one on the bottom of the main page that is trying to sell me a router which i looked into on several sites the other day. Kinda scary it knows what i wanted to buy.

Sometimes I feel the RPF has lost it's way. :unsure

It's showing up below on my monitor here at work and it's pretty annoying. I'm using a 17" monitor (I think) and when I look in the JY nearly the entire page is one big ad. Like rocketeer, I get the point of the ads, but it's getting a little crazy.

Probably wasn't Art's intention, there's been some database irregularities of late. Does he know about your question, or is this just a "vent" thread in the OT? ;)

Probably wasn't Art's intention, there's been some database irregularities of late. Does he know about your question, or is this just a "vent" thread in the OT? ;)

There's a suggestion thread from a bit earlier in the Q & S forum.

Just venting. Got my blocker now so no worries.

The shirt ad was no issue at all. Very topical. :)

I just don't come to a forum to be sold things (okay, that's the only reason I go to the JY but you know what I mean!)

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back