Question Three Seperate Ads = too much? (resolved)

Re: Seriously??? FOUR ad banners at the top of the page?

You're right, so I'll be the first to say it:

Art, doesn't that belong in the 'yard?

Ha!

I see the same thing. Adds everywhere!

Gotta say it bugs me a little to see a niche go so commercial, anyway. Shocker, right?

Yeah, Art. I agree w/ Lonnie. The adds are getting a little too busy, man. The RPF main page is starting to look like a race car.

Have you thought about having less ads for people who are signed in, and more for those who arn't.
it encourages people to sign up rather then just browse, whilst still getting adds out there and not annoying your members too much.

Ya think?!

Like I just said on another thread. This place looks like the front end of a race car.

I don't know, man. The RPF seems to have become more of a launch pad for a couple given personalites more than anything else these days.

So, there's a million members, video channels and t-shirts for all.

It certainly hasn't resulted in stronger content on the main page.

Just sayin'...

Sometimes I feel the RPF has lost it's way. :unsure

I've been running ad block since the ads first started, but man is the shirt ad big.

Last edited:
Word! (y)thumbsup:thumbsup

Have you thought about having less ads for people who are signed in, and more for those who arn't.
it encourages people to sign up rather then just browse, whilst still getting adds out there and not annoying your members too much.

I like the ads. I'm sending Art a request for a few more. I REALLY enjoy pop-up ads too. :lol

Kidding. Im just kidding!:lol

Excessive ads is a bit much, but I've never had the problem mentioned above. I know ads is how this site is making money, so to question someone trying to make a bit of a living isn't my reason for complaint. I just wouldn't want the site to turn into a forum just littered with ads wherever possible. No one enjoys that.

So lets address what is going on here:

First, we have had 4 ads in the header since the move to the new styles, although it was just pointed out to us yesterday that we had failed to add the 4th ad in to old style.

The ads break down like this.

First you have Google Adsense, that is the big 728X90 ad that is going to show different ads for everyone. It tries to be content relevant but often is affected by your travels around that net. This ad has been on the site for over a year now.

Beside that, the latest ad we have implemented, which is what we call the "RPF Ad". This is a small 184X90 ad block for us to put RPF announcements or things that are specific to the site, so it isn't exactly an ad like the others. Someone said something about the iphone/android app not being relevant, but that is not true. It is VERY relevant as we have installed this plugin to help our members be able to access the RPF through a mobile device more easily. Apparently for some people this ad isn't appearing correctly and is being pushed beneath the Adsense ad instead of appearing inline with it as it should be. We are working to resolve this problem as this is NOT how it should be displaying! We apologize for the inconvenience.

The third and 4th ads are two 468X60 ads placed side by side which include affiliate ads or paid ad placements from board members or licensees. These ads have been in place for over a year.

Now, about the large RPF shirt notice... You can complain if you want, but the fact is, notices like this (which are specific to the site) are extremely effective and are only used when we want to make sure our members see something. We only put these up for short periods of time and always make them dismissible. It is rare that we put a notice like this up (and every time we do, someone complains), but when we feel something is important and we don't want members complaining about how they missed out on something, we are going to put these up. Again, we always make them dismissable for members.

So, that is it. All I can tell you is that we do put out notices and relevant information via some of our ads, so if you choose to use an ad blocker, we can't be responsible if you miss information or opportunities.

I know ads is how this site is making money, so to question someone trying to make a bit of a living isn't my reason for complaint.

Clay, I know you didn't mean anything by this, but because some people may get the wrong idea, I feel compelled to point out that not only is no one making a living off the RPF, none of the staff, myself included make ANY money at all. ALL of the money that is generated by the site goes back into the site via hosting, software, contests, prop parties, etc.

For those of you having issues with the small RPF ad posting below the Google Adsense ad, can you tell me what browser you are using. I can't get this problem to replicate on Firefox, IE, or Chrome.

Interesting, how my comment was removed when the threads were merged.

Anyway, Funky. I agree with you 100%

As I was saying, between the adds, shirts and silly clicks that are developing; the whole thing frustrates me. What was a site about props has slowly turned to a site about off-topic personalities. Very high-school.

All of these new members and links seem to have done very little contribute to the substance of the main page. To say the topics are 'soft' would be putting it mildly.

Now, it's been suggested if you opt out of your posts being linked from the main page to facebook that you're somehow drafting on the RPF or simply 'using' the place.

Sorry, I was here contributing for a decade before the new changes! The fact that I prefer a low profile when posting has little to do with my love of the hobby or community. Call it self preservation for those of us who do more than giggle in the off-topic.

Sometimes I feel the RPF has lost it's way. :unsure

ALL of the money that is generated by the site goes back into the site via hosting, software, contests, prop parties, etc.

and the luxury restroom that you guys get to share :love

I dont mind the ads. They help generate a small revenue for the site that we all love and adore like a local pub. (insert CHEERS theme song)

Also, yes, the shirt ad was pretty big, but it was basically a "one time ad" that you can easily close by clicking the little red x. Keep in mind, the shirts are a great way to give back to the rpf by showing your support.

Art, you might want to put an interest thread in the Junkyard for RPF shirts.....Some members use software to eliminate ads and others rarely check the announcement section. Another way to promote the shirts

Interesting, how my comment was removed when the threads were merged.

No posts have been removed from this thread.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back