Thor Avengers Foam Costume WIP

Hey man, nice build so far. Did you use foam and do the outside with cardstock for the helmet? Just curious because I've been wanting to do the same thing.

Hey man, nice build so far. Did you use foam and do the outside with cardstock for the helmet? Just curious because I've been wanting to do the same thing.

The helmet is 100% foam. I used the pepakura file as a template and just went to town. I did a lot of improvising - lots of pieces were glued in to cover up holes towards the end. The biggest thing is the wings - get those right and your 80% there. My helmet is still a bit wobbly but it will do for Halloween :)

What about using some heavy gauge wire to shape the cape?

What type of wire do you suggest? Even if it shapes the cape into an arc, how would that then attach to my body / the chest piece? I suppose I could build some sturdy shoulder piece that fits over my head (kind of like football shoulderpads) and then bolt/velcro the cape to that.

I'm not sure how I can achieve the arc and support the weight at the same time with just the foam.

Last edited:
What type of wire do you suggest? Even if it shapes the cape into an arc, how would that then attach to my body / the chest piece? I suppose I could build some sturdy shoulder piece that fits over my head (kind of like football shoulderpads) and then bolt/velcro the cape to that.

I'm not sure how I can achieve the arc and support the weight at the same time with just the foam.
wouldnt 2 layers of floor mat foam be way enough to hold it? i mean, those things are pretty sturdy, it seems to me. you could even do 3

wouldnt 2 layers of floor mat foam be way enough to hold it? i mean, those things are pretty sturdy, it seems to me. you could even do 3

You may be right. All I have right now are a couple of sheets of 4mm foam. I'll check home depot today to see if they have a square or two of the floor mat foam.

You may be right. All I have right now are a couple of sheets of 4mm foam. I'll check home depot today to see if they have a square or two of the floor mat foam.
yeah the 4 mm stuff is too thin :) but seeing as the base of the cape is pretty thick, like 2 cm, that would be 2 foam floor mats :) i tried their hardness yesterday by chance as i never worked with it, and those are really sturdy, and im sure they would hold the weight of the cape, and you could velcro it to the chest. ill whip up a quick explanation what i mean, 1 sec :)

edited for amazing paint skills: i hope you get what im meaning:

Last edited:
yeah the 4 mm stuff is too thin :) but seeing as the base of the cape is pretty thick, like 2 cm, that would be 2 foam floor mats :) i tried their hardness yesterday by chance as i never worked with it, and those are really sturdy, and im sure they would hold the weight of the cape, and you could velcro it to the chest. ill whip up a quick explanation what i mean, 1 sec :)

edited for amazing paint skills: i hope you get what im meaning:

Thanks for the Davinci quality art!
Seriously though, thanks for offering up your suggestions. I actually found the following at home depot for about 6.50:

Kneeling Cushion

It's 3/4" thick so it should provide me with enough support to prop up the cape (and then some). I am thinking I'll cut it into two pieces, bend them to the desired shape and then glue them to the chest piece. This way they will arc over my shoulders and my cape can attach with Velcro!

Pieces need to be glued, painted and trimmed, but this is the basic layout. I'll need to strap them together in the back with luggage straps and more foam to have them fit on my body, and probably do some shoulder reinforcing to support the cape. (Don't mind the dog cage underneath, I'm tight on space!)
Are you putting the chest piece on top of another foam or are you attaching that to fabric?

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back