Things you're tired of seeing in movies

I can't disagree. There are intimidating looking women who can pull these rolls off. Gina Carano did great in such a role in the first Deadpool movie. But all these female actors who are about 5' 4" and 110 pounds soaking wet are laughable in these roles.
In an era where were so many are desperately trying to normalize large (read: fat) people, why are studios pushing these little waifs in roles that should be cast for stocky/buff women?
Reminds me of Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique trying to use her "big girl voice" at the end of X-men: Apocalypse. :lol:

I would say "poorly written" female leads. Like Rey in the SW Sequels. If you give me a reason why they can do the things they do, and it's well written, I'll buy it. Case in point would be the Black Widow in Marvel. It's still unrealistic because she has no powers, just training, but I can buy it because it's a comic movie. Realistically, a woman that size, training or not, if a bigger guy can get a hold of her, she's probably done.

My latest addition would be people, mainly women, in movies/TV who get out of the shower, wrap a towel around themselves without drying off, and then walk around the house. They would be dripping water everywhere! I've never seen anyone not dry off completely before they left the bathroom, even if they then proceeded to walk to get clothes. I just watched a movie where the girl got out of the shower, wrapped herself in a towel while visibly soaking wet, go over to her dresser and pull on a pair of panties. She'd soak them the minute she put them on.

Kinda like... well, my examples are TV sitcoms, but Dad comes home and spends the entire episode still in his work clothes. Changing out of those into comfortable bumming-around clothes is the first thing anybody does when they get home.

Kinda like... well, my examples are TV sitcoms, but Dad comes home and spends the entire episode still in his work clothes. Changing out of those into comfortable bumming-around clothes is the first thing anybody does when they get home.

One of my pet peeves (which seems to happen a lot in soap operas here in the UK) is when a character, almost always male, comes home from work and goes to the drinks cabinet, pours himself a large glass of neat whiskey and knocks it back. Who the hell does that?!

Realistically, a woman that size, training or not, if a bigger guy can get a hold of her, she's probably done.

My latest addition would be people, mainly women, in movies/TV who get out of the shower, wrap a towel around themselves without drying off, and then walk around the house. They would be dripping water everywhere! I've never seen anyone not dry off completely before they left the bathroom, even if they then proceeded to walk to get clothes. I just watched a movie where the girl got out of the shower, wrapped herself in a towel while visibly soaking wet, go over to her dresser and pull on a pair of panties. She'd soak them the minute she put them on.
I remember a woman once approached a group of guys, having just come from some self-defense class. declaring she could kick the butt of any guy. The guys laughed and she wasn't having that. She started attacking them with her martial arts! :oops:
You can imagine what happened next, the first guy she kicked in the face, after he shook it off (which took maybe 2 seconds), closed with her. She tried kicking him again and she got nowhere with him at that point. That's the only time I ever saw a guy hitting a woman and I had no issues with it. A cop nearby saw the end of it and jumped on the guy and started to cuff him. Everyone who saw this immediately came up and yelled that she started beating on him and his pal for no reason whatsoever. The cop was of course quite surprised and once the officer got the full picture, she got cuffed. That drove her nuts as she started yelling, "They weren't supposed to hit back!"
Anyway, I talked to the two guys she kicked afterwards and all she did was surprise them. She hardly left any marks.

I remember a woman once approached a group of guys, having just come from some self-defense class. declaring she could kick the butt of any guy. The guys laughed and she wasn't having that. She started attacking them with her martial arts! :oops:
You can imagine what happened next, the first guy she kicked in the face, after he shook it off (which took maybe 2 seconds), closed with her. She tried kicking him again and she got nowhere with him at that point. That's the only time I ever saw a guy hitting a woman and I had no issues with it. A cop nearby saw the end of it and jumped on the guy and started to cuff him. Everyone who saw this immediately came up and yelled that she started beating on him and his pal for no reason whatsoever. The cop was of course quite surprised and once the officer got the full picture, she got cuffed. That drove her nuts as she started yelling, "They weren't supposed to hit back!"
Anyway, I talked to the two guys she kicked afterwards and all she did was surprise them. She hardly left any marks.
Then of course, there's the Russian Women's Olympic Tree-Throwing Team. o_O

In all seriousness though: in real life, thinking "they weren't supposed to hit back" is just plain stupid. I just hope she never thinks this should she ever be accosted for real by a thug or mugger.

Last edited:
So it drive me nuts to see a tiny women playing the part as of head of security or other roles where more physical strength would be needed. If your going to have a woman as head of security she should be built like a brick S#*t house, lol.

I appreciate the Orville having their petite Chief of Security be from a high gravity planet so she has super strength. Strange New Worlds is also indulging in that trope, but I don't think La'an has had any unrealistic fight scenes yet, thankfully.

In all seriousness though: in real life, thinking "they weren't supposed to hit back" is just plain stupid.
It's somewhat common, according to a friend of mine in law enforcement. He says it's not uncommon for a woman to start something, the guy ends it, and then she not only calls the cops, she will often admit to starting everything and is totally shocked when the cuffs come out for her.

It's somewhat common, according to a friend of mine in law enforcement. He says it's not uncommon for a woman to start something, the guy ends it, and then she not only calls the cops, she will often admit to starting everything and is totally shocked when the cuffs come out for her.
If you want equality, you get equality. Stop whining when you get punched in the mouth when you started punching first.

I don't think the portrayal of women fighting in films is any less realistic than men generally, especially in action films, it's all pretty ridiculous. On the flip side (pun intended) I was in a coed judo class for 4 years and served as uke in a separate self defense class geared specifically for women as well. In judo class I've been pinned, choked, arm barred and thrown during randori by plenty of women non-cooperatively. I'm 6'3" and weighed 225-230lbs at that time so every one of them was smaller than me. I've got to say, no self defense teacher would ever suggest kicking someone in the head while they are standing up, that's absurd.
I know the above story has made it's rounds a few times on the RPF but it still comes across as wildly exaggerated or everyone involved being an ass-hat.

There seems to be more foreign movies than ever on streaming which is great but I sometimes wonder who does the casting for english dubs as quite often the voice actors playing the english versions are absolutely horrible. What's hilarious is when they get someone who sounds like a 15 year old playing someone whose supposed to be in their 60's or 70's. I get that the dubbed versions aren't a priority and its costly to get decent voice acting but at least make some effort.

Something that came to me watching Uncharted last night is parkour seems to becoming really popular in TV/movies and it's getting really annoying because, most of the time, it's totally unnecessary and clearly being done just because the directors think it's cool. The 2 most egregious examples so far have been Reva in Kenobi where she's vaulting over things she could more easily run around or jump on or over. The other is Prey where Naru seems to go out of her way to do a little kick jump off every nearby tree. It's like, what did all that accomplish except to waste time and energy?

Something that came to me watching Uncharted last night is parkour seems to becoming really popular in TV/movies and it's getting really annoying because, most of the time, it's totally unnecessary and clearly being done just because the directors think it's cool. The 2 most egregious examples so far have been Reva in Kenobi where she's vaulting over things she could more easily run around or jump on or over. The other is Prey where Naru seems to go out of her way to do a little kick jump off every nearby tree. It's like, what did all that accomplish except to waste time and energy?
I can understand them including parkour if there's a call for it. Like for example: Batman's profile has it that his movements include parkour when he is patrolling Gotham or chasing a criminal. It makes sense, because in a city setting, he has to be able to use his surroundings to his advantage and be able to move quickly through obstructions. But when there's no need for it (or no setting where it's appropriate), then it should just be left off.

In combat, expending needless energy is just going to ensure that your opponent has a better chance of outlasting you.

There seems to be more foreign movies than ever on streaming which is great but I sometimes wonder who does the casting for english dubs as quite often the voice actors playing the english versions are absolutely horrible. What's hilarious is when they get someone who sounds like a 15 year old playing someone whose supposed to be in their 60's or 70's. I get that the dubbed versions aren't a priority and its costly to get decent voice acting but at least make some effort.

I completely agree! I forgot what it was, I think on Netflix, where I turned it off because the English voice over people sounded like they usually did Anime and not real movies. I just sounded like they thought they were doing a cartoon!

Reminds me of Akira.
A friend gave me a bootleg copy in '88, original Japanese, and though I didn't know what anybody was saying, it was obvious they were serious "actors' actors" doing the voices.
Then, years later, it was released on VHS in the USA, and I was excited to finally have a copy with subtitles so I'd know what the heck was going on. But there were no subtitles. It was dubbed. BADLY. Sounded like a cheap Saturday morning cartoon. All the drama and gravitas was sucked right out of it. I hated it. I couldn't even finish watching it. Gave it to a friend and kept my original bootleg for myself.

The thing is Romania is one of the few countries in the Eastern Europe to have subtitles for most of the foreign shows and movies (except Cartoon Network and children channels/shows, though even here this change is only less than a decade old). Subtitles could be a problem for people who can't read right, but on the other hand you can always hear the original voices unlike the dubbing, where you rely on the voice actors talent and dedication. And besides hearing the tonality of those actor voices, you might also start learning the language better. I have friends, mostly women, who are watching telenovelas constantly and who can understand Spanish quite well now. I'll take subtitles instead of dubbing any day of the week.

I have seen a couple that got into a fight, she stabbed him in the chest with a knife, fortunately it did not puncture a lung or do any serious internal damage. He was assessed and bandaged up in the ER and they go home together. Go figure.

Regarding sword fights: As an example. watching Obi-Wan and Darth Vader go at with sabers, there seem to be a lot of flourishes that expose oneself to injury. There are a lot of twirls, twists, changing the saber from 1 hand to another, etc. that might look cool but in reality you would be dead by not guarding your head and center of mass.

You obviously didn't know my grandfather and fathero_O:lol: Never did I saw those men in "comfortable clothes":rolleyes:
The only clue I had, as a child, that my father was on vacation was the fact that his dress shirt had the first button undone, collar open and no tie:D
Slacks were the same. The grandfather was worse! When he died; we gave 46 boxes of clothes/shoes to the Salvation Army.
This man had 4 different wardrobes: Spring, Summer, Autumn and Wintero_O...different era and traditions!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back