Things you're tired of seeing in movies

Soldiers/sailors/airmen discussing classified information out in public! I finally watched that "Stealth" movie and the three pilots are sitting with a Thai citizen, who they assume can't speak English, in an outside restaurant and openly discussing the classified aircraft they are flying!
From personal experience, when you discuss stuff like that, you usually go into a room, any paperwork stays there on the stuff, and then you leave. And yes, you do not discuss details openly unless you're in a room with others read into it, for specifically that purpose.
Now, sometimes you do discuss it, but it's more like, "Sir, that thing we talked about this morning? It's [insert distance here]..." and nobody would know that you'd previously discussed wanting to know what danger close was for the weapon you discussed or the maximum effective range of another.

That reminds me of yet another fighter related peeve. Like in the "Stealth" movie, pilots grabbing hold of the flightstick with both hands and flying the jet like they are holding a handgun. So... how are you working the throttle? How hard is it to find some former pilot to consult on your movie? They are all over Youtube!
Having flown on fighters (one WW2 and one jet), I always laugh at that, myself.
That, and in any movie where the stick shakes when the pilot fires a machine gun of any kind. In any fighter since the 30s, the guns aren't physically attached the stick in any way and only activate servos adjacent to the weapon itself. You'd barely even hear it, let along feel it.

I don't want to make fun of someone's appearance, but how about Hollywood stops trying to convince us an actor/actress is more beautiful or handsome than they really are. Elizabeth Moss, I'm talking to you... And so I don't sound like an *ss I'll add Michael Cera in there as well. :lol:

I don't want to make fun of someone's appearance, but how about Hollywood stops trying to convince us an actor/actress is more beautiful or handsome than they really are. Elizabeth Moss, I'm talking to you... And so I don't sound like an *ss I'll add Michael Cera in there as well. :lol:
It's all smoke and mirrors my friend...all smoke and mirrors:p

Playing catch as father and son (or daughter) bonding time is so cliché. Especially when a busy father who has been neglectful finally decides to spend time with them. Nothing against it, it's just there's so many other things that parents do with their kids to spend quality time with them. To often see the same thing gets old and boring.
Another Hollywood shorthand is when they make a character Catholic just so we can have a confessional scene or have a wide shot where he (typically male) is alone in a cathedral pew praying. In the latter case, about half the time, he will be approached by a priest who has known him since childhood asking him what is on his conscience. (Profile shot of character praying. Priest emerges as if coming from behind and physically close to him.)

Catholic churches, the services, the clergy and their dress . . . IMO it all looks a notch more 'dramatic' than Protestant denominations. There is probably an element of production design in the choice of Catholicism.
Always seems weird to me that they can walk into these churches any time they choose. In UK most churches are shut until Sunday morning. I imagine in the smaller villages they are open more as they often serve as community centres, but in towns, nearly always closed until Sunday.

Always seems weird to me that they can walk into these churches any time they choose. In UK most churches are shut until Sunday morning. I imagine in the smaller villages they are open more as they often serve as community centres, but in towns, nearly always closed until Sunday.
It's been a while but for the most part, here in the US most churches are open to public most of the time although I don't know about overnight.

Here, a lot of even larger cathedrals are open to the general public outside of service hours.

I don't want to make fun of someone's appearance, but how about Hollywood stops trying to convince us an actor/actress is more beautiful or handsome than they really are. Elizabeth Moss, I'm talking to you...
Good point. I first became aware of her from "West Wing," where they tried to push her as some kind of classic beauty. I can objectively say I dated several girls prettier than her (and for sure later married one). And now that's she older? I don't get it.
It's the whole deal about someone's attractiveness being directly related to their fame. How else can you explain so-so or dreadful looking famous males with women who look like they stepped off a fashion runway?
Anyone remember the days when men were scarily counting down until the Olsen twins turned 18? It never made sense due to the age difference, but in the end, they weren't any prettier than the countless female students I saw daily as a student at Florida State.
Both male and female, there are countless examples of the media hype outreaching the appeal of the people in any real-world scenario.

Good point. I first became aware of her from "West Wing," where they tried to push her as some kind of classic beauty. I can objectively say I dated several girls prettier than her (and for sure later married one). And now that's she older? I don't get it.
It's the whole deal about someone's attractiveness being directly related to their fame. How else can you explain so-so or dreadful looking famous males with women who look like they stepped off a fashion runway?
Anyone remember the days when men were scarily counting down until the Olsen twins turned 18? It never made sense due to the age difference, but in the end, they weren't any prettier than the countless female students I saw daily as a student at Florida State.
Both male and female, there are countless examples of the media hype outreaching the appeal of the people in any real-world scenario.
First time I noticed it was Truth About Cats and Dogs. Whole film trying to convince me Uma Thurman (never got that anyway) was hotter than Janeane Garofalo.

That was never gonna fly!

nyone remember the days when men were scarily counting down until the Olsen twins turned 18? It never made sense due to the age difference, but in the end, they weren't any prettier than the countless female students I saw daily as a student at Florida State.

Yeah I remember that. There wasn't any non-messed-up reason for all that attention. The Olsen girls were only average looking by Hollywood starlet standards. They had not been very famous for anything since they were kids.

Yeah I remember that. There wasn't any non-messed-up reason for all that attention. The Olsen girls were only average looking by Hollywood starlet standards. They had not been very famous for anything since they were kids.

For that matter, does anyone think that Jim Belushi or Chris Penn would be working if it hadn't been for their brothers?

Last edited:
For that matter, does anyone think that Jim Belushi or Chris Penn would be working if it hadn't been for their brothers?
Back in the day, you could usually be a Hollywood star only if you:
  • Looked like a model
  • Could sing
  • Could dance
Otherwise, that meant you were a 'character actor' which means you only had second billing and played bad guys or curmudgeons.
But these days, anyone with talent and a lot of luck can be an actor.

• Looked like a model
  • Could sing
  • Could dance
Otherwise, that meant you were a 'character actor' which means you only had second billing and played bad guys or curmudgeons.

Great character actors I would include John Turturro, Luis Guzman, Steve Buscemi, Stanley Tucci, John Hurt ... but Chris and Jim aren't among them. Maybe I'm an outlier, but I don't find either of them very compelling to watch, not even as character actors. And an actor whose last name is, say, "Penn" or "Belushi", probably has a little more than just "luck" in their favor, no?

First time I noticed it was Truth About Cats and Dogs. Whole film trying to convince me Uma Thurman (never got that anyway) was hotter than Janeane Garofalo.

That was never gonna fly!
I think they're both attractive women, but Miss Garofalo is much closer to the "type" I'm normally attracted to. The only trouble would be that I'm dead certain she's far more intelligent than I am. :confused:

• Looked like a model
  • Could sing
  • Could dance
I don't think that you had to look like a "model" back in the day...Sure, the Studio System was in charge of every single facet of their casts career (Barbara Stanwick had to color her hair blond because, at the time, there were too many of them on screen...and that was an order!).
Lots of actors/actresses had a certain look and yes, were type casted because they were very good in B or C roles. You cannot have a good Western without Victor Mclaglen , Walter Brennan, or Ward Bond. These actors were a constant staple on screen and very popular with the public!(y)

When someone is in medical distress, there is always someone that is not aiding the "victim" who says, "Somebody call 911".

Gee, that's a really good idea. Perhaps YOU should.

Sadly, when something like this happens in real life, there are always "good advice givers" but they're not the ones who are the "good deed performers".

TazMan2000

When someone is in medical distress, there is always someone that is not aiding the "victim" who says, "Somebody call 911".

Gee, that's a really good idea. Perhaps YOU should.

Sadly, when something like this happens in real life, there are always "good advice givers" but they're not the ones who are the "good deed performers".

TazMan2000

1648454396518.png

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back