Things you're tired of seeing in movies

B) Whenever a starship is orbiting a planet, and the bad guy du jour is leaving the planet in his smaller-than-federation spacecraft, he plots a course right by the Federation ship, pelting it with phaser blasts as he does a flyby. Rather than by heading in ANY OTHER DIRECTION off the planet

That's one thing I've always hated about ST. They have some smaller ship fire shots that shouldn't do anything and then they cut to them falling all over the bridge and the shields going down by 60%. Well I hate to see what happens to you if you encounter a Romulan Bird of Prey! Then, and this is no matter what size/strength ship, they wait until the Enterprise is just about destroyed completely and then they return fire. Somehow with no shields and almost no power they suddenly beat the other ship.

This reminds me of Star Trek "The Changeling". They get shot by Nomad, and Spock says the shields absorbed the equivalent of 90 photon torpedos. And shields lost only 20 percent power. Then they hit Nomad with one, to no effect, and they are FLABBERGASTED that much energy could be absorbed. Hey, didn't you just shrug off NINETY?

Wow, binge watching during lockdown really brings up some points;

People being literally beaten to a pulp and then getting up and finishing off a gang of thugs- just how much damage can a body take (The Punisher anyone?).
Bad guy running out of bullets then pulling on the trigger and it just clicks (er no, think the slide locks back after the last bullett!).
Deadly assassin suddenly gets a conscience and decides to retire, only for the ‘organisation’ to hunt them down and try to them out (seriously- how many times have they used that script!).
Buddy mentor who brings up said assassin only to turn out as the bad guy who then needs to be taken out (yes, same old script!).
And before anyone wonders, yes, I have just watched ‘Kate’ on Netflix.
Seriously guys, try something different!

This specifically applies to the Star Trek TV series and movies.

A) Given what can be done with technology, medicine, food replicators, and transporters in the Trek universe, where they have ATOM-BY-ATOM control of themselves and their environments, then:
1) No one should ever age more than they desire. Have your DNA scanned on a weekly or monthly basis, then go through a "transporter spa purge" once a year to freshen up you body to its previous state of health. Automatic de-aging to your previous "save point"
2) Unless your body is destroyed by severe trauma, no one should ever die. Since you have ATOM-BY-ATOM control with the transporter, any infection via bacteria, virus, fungi, or as yet undiscovered alien space parasite can be removed during the transportation process. None of this Troi and Riker "Our son had this weird silicon virus disease, and there was no cure, and he died"
3) Skin, internal organs, even missing limbs can all be created with your DNA signature to replace worn out or missing body parts. See #1 above.
4) Heck, if you are beheaded, and they save your head, then a new body could be prepared while your head was in stasis. See #3 above.
The simple answer here is that the actors age and if nobody ever gets older or dies, that removes a lot of potential for drama.
Imagine how many red shirt security types would be alive today if things worked like you said, though. One of things I liked about the original series was using the transporter was always an 'iffy' thing you couldn't count on and they used shuttles more often than in the Next Generation series.

To be fair, dialogue coaches are now earning their pay. I used to shudder when an American (in particular) tried the accent, and they sounded like Cocknies. But some attempts by English actors also fall flat. I have to say the first actor I recall doing a good job was Robert Mitchum, in "The Sundowners" (1960). He started off with an advantage in his natural voice.

I know it's really tough to get it right, but when you see a steam locomotive on a train in a movie, they never get the sound right unless they recorded the sound in real time. In most cases, a steam engine makes four chuffing sounds per revolution of the drive wheels. But in movies, you'll hear it grossly out of sinc with what you should be hearing.

And another thing, in a war movie you see rounds hitting at the enemy's feet. Sure, a few rounds would go there, but for example, watching "the Alamo," the grape shot hits from their 6-pounder field guns, the shrapnel is depicted hitting at their feet from an elevated position. In real life, the bullet impacts would be seen a few feet behind them from that angle, as well as on stuff behind an enemy shot from a horizontal angle. But you hardly ever see it done correctly in a movie, unless the person being shot as it directly in front of something to depict misses mitting it.

I know it's really tough to get it right, but when you see a steam locomotive on a train in a movie, they never get the sound right unless they recorded the sound in real time. In most cases, a steam engine makes four chuffing sounds per revolution of the drive wheels. But in movies, you'll hear it grossly out of sinc with what you should be hearing.
Not quite the same, but still with regards to sound effects--a car that's shown to have an automatic transmission pulls away from the camera, but the sound effect is that of a car with a manual transmission because you hear that "pause" as the driver shifts up from gear to gear. :rolleyes:

Fumbling with keys to start the car. Doesn't matter, get away from a bank robbery, bad guys, a monster, hurricane, you name it. WTF is so hard about putting the keys in the ignition??? At the same time, the vehicle doesn't start right away. Ugh, pathetic!

Future love interests meet by physically bumping into each other which knocks one or both of them over and/or causes one of them to drop everything in their hands. The other helps them up/helps them gather their things and so their courtship begins. Ironically one of my best friends met her husband this way so yes it happens in real life but it's also cliche to see it over and over in movies and shows.

No so much 'in movies' but the tiring and boring telling of the same story's over and over and over again...John Wick comes to mind and basically anything Marvel does......oh and looks like the new Matrix also, but I hope I'm wrong.

I have to disagree with John Wick, because while it has similar stories, the realism factor is a lot better. He holds his guns properly and moves properly (like not walking through doors with his gun extended for one), he reloads, switches weapons when he runs out of ammo, etc. It's basically "Keanu Reeves shoots a lot of people in the head", but I'll still watch it.

How all those old movies where everyone held the gun down at their waist? The hip shot? Remember when Mythbusters tested it? I've also tried it, you can't hit jack crap that way!
And the way those actors would "push" the gun as they shot it! Laughable! :lol:

The "what is going on", confused look on the actor/actresses face where things have to be explained (this is done for the people in the audience who can't keep up).

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back