Things you're tired of seeing in movies

Two military things that drive me nuts:
1. When the Sarge character yells, "Lock and load!" In anything taken place in WW2. Actually, in WW2, it was Load and Lock! It refers to putting the en bloc clip of eight .30 caliber bullets into an M1 rifle. You pushed them all the way down inside the action (load) them snap the bolt forward to engage the first bullet (lock).
2. When throwing a grenade, someone yells, "Grenade!" when that's for only one when one has landed among you that you might want to get out of the way of. You actually yell, "frag out," as all US grenades are fragmentation by nature.
They also never get the explosion of one right in movies. Modern frags go off with a puff of smoke that looks sort of brown with a slight purple tint. I ran a grenade range once and watched several go off from the tower with it's very thick armored glass view port. I left that position when a piece of shrapnel came right for my head and scratched the glass right where the space between my eyes was. Without that glass, I'd have died with just enough time to think I realized it was coming. Anyway, even most people who've thrown them have unlikely watched them go off several times, I'd think.
In the British military we are taught to shout grenade when throwing them too.

We are also taught to watch where it roughly lands but you don't stay there admiring the bang, so I agree with you there that unless someone was being rather silly, or just wants to push their luck, they won't look out for it going off.

Whenever anyone uses an actual record player they always hand place the needle on the LP, even if it is the first song. No one EVER uses the auto switch.

Hand placing a needle is not a good practice if you actually care about your records. Too much uncertainty and usually causes scratches. At least that's what I was taught decades ago. I haven't owned a record player since the mid 80s.

The bad guy is bulletproof. You shoot and shoot and shoot and nothing.
Invincible, right? Appears so.
BUT WAIT, the good guy comes up for just one more shot (after countless others) and defeats the bad guy with something that failed hundreds of times in the exact same way.
That drives me nuts.

This specifically applies to the Star Trek TV series and movies.

A) Given what can be done with technology, medicine, food replicators, and transporters in the Trek universe, where they have ATOM-BY-ATOM control of themselves and their environments, then:
1) No one should ever age more than they desire. Have your DNA scanned on a weekly or monthly basis, then go through a "transporter spa purge" once a year to freshen up you body to its previous state of health. Automatic de-aging to your previous "save point"
2) Unless your body is destroyed by severe trauma, no one should ever die. Since you have ATOM-BY-ATOM control with the transporter, any infection via bacteria, virus, fungi, or as yet undiscovered alien space parasite can be removed during the transportation process. None of this Troi and Riker "Our son had this weird silicon virus disease, and there was no cure, and he died"
3) Skin, internal organs, even missing limbs can all be created with your DNA signature to replace worn out or missing body parts. See #1 above.
4) Heck, if you are beheaded, and they save your head, then a new body could be prepared while your head was in stasis. See #3 above.

B) Whenever a starship is orbiting a planet, and the bad guy du jour is leaving the planet in his smaller-than-federation spacecraft, he plots a course right by the Federation ship, pelting it with phaser blasts as he does a flyby. Rather than by heading in ANY OTHER DIRECTION off the planet

Return of the King was on telly the other day, I noticed a lot there. Also some in Apocalypto which was surprising considering the cinematography of that movie.
Apocalypto now there's a movie..
I re watched it yesterday and had forgotten some of those SloMo running shots in the forest and turns to camera.
Still a remarkable film though with nice visuals, brutal blood sports although the history/culture side of it was sort of blended but hey that's Movies for you.

1) No one should ever age more than they desire. Have your DNA scanned on a weekly or monthly basis, then go through a "transporter spa purge" once a year to freshen up you body to its previous state of health. Automatic de-aging to your previous "save point"
Totally. Spend a couple years in your early 20s working out like crazy and eating super healthy. Have that mole removed. Get a killer haircut. Then off to the transporter spa!

When a character has a bullet-proof shield (or is bullet proof themselves) and everyone keeps shooting at it long after it's obvious there is no point.

Or the shield is only so big but no one tries to shoot at the unprotected areas of the body. Looking at you, Captain America. A really extreme example is The Living Daylights: Joe Don Baker has a gun with a shield that's only about a foot square. Bond just keeps shooting at that tiny thing until he's out.

Weren't they just fragments rather than the whole round?

When a character has a bullet-proof shield (or is bullet proof themselves) and everyone keeps shooting at it long after it's obvious there is no point.

Or the shield is only so big but no one tries to shoot at the unprotected areas of the body. Looking at you, Captain America. A really extreme example is The Living Daylights: Joe Don Baker has a gun with a shield that's only about a foot square. Bond just keeps shooting at that tiny thing until he's out.
And why don't they just shoot their feet!.. Yeah smaller targets but much more fun..
John Wick being an acception but then he did loose his dog..

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back