Things you're tired of seeing in movies

It's the same with soaps (which I don't watch but my wife does) when a character comes home at I guess five or six in the afternoon after work, and presumably having eaten very little or nothing for hours, and they go straight to the drinks cabinet and pour themselves a quarter-full glass of neat whiskey. Who the hell does that in real life except an alcoholic?

60s-70s movies and TV: everyone had a wet bar (with everpresent bucket of ice of course) in their living room. Were they anywhere near that prevalent in real life? I don't recall seeing them that often, if at all, as a kid.

I know on That 70s Show Red has one. They've had one behind and to the left of the couch, and then at times a little 5ft long one on the right side of the couch. Hyde makes a comment on one episode that Red has a bar and cocktail onions (I think) so he would have a beer tap.

Thing i am tired of seeing: The bookish character who is very very nearsighted and has glasses that make their eyes look huge. In reality the optical effect is exactly the opposite of this.

60s-70s movies and TV: everyone had a wet bar (with everpresent bucket of ice of course) in their living room. Were they anywhere near that prevalent in real life? I don't recall seeing them that often, if at all, as a kid.
My Irish grandmother had a bar in her basement that after a fire my dad got it and refurbished it and we had it for another 30 years after that until 2000. I'm not sure I would call them alcoholics but they did know how to drink, must be the Irish in them.

People, directors, producers, et al..., screwing around with characters, stories, plot-lines from the original (much admired) books from which they shamelessly advertise as having an association with (said book/author) and ensnare/dupe the public into believing so..... looking at you ‘Tom Clancy’s’ “ Without Remorse “.... the latest in a long line of films that should have just come up with it’s own IP, instead of ripping on an established story teller and his works.

People, directors, producers, et al..., screwing around with characters, stories, plot-lines from the original (much admired) books from which they shamelessly advertise as having an association with (said book/author) and ensnare/dupe the public into believing so..... looking at you ‘Tom Clancy’s’ “ Without Remorse “.... the latest in a long line of films that should have just come up with it’s own IP, instead of ripping on an established story teller and his works.

I don't have a big problem with them casting Michael B Jordan and changing Clark's race, but they should have at least made it in the Vietnam timeline. Clark was a Vietnam SEAL, yet they have MBJ playing him in modern times as a 30 something year old . It's like a giant finger to the people who were fans and would really want to go see it. I'm still waiting for a Rainbow Six movie, but I'd be scared what they would do to it!

Thing i am tired of seeing: The bookish character who is very very nearsighted and has glasses that make their eyes look huge. In reality the optical effect is exactly the opposite of this.
glasses.gif

I don't have a big problem with them casting Michael B Jordan and changing Clark's race, but they should have at least made it in the Vietnam timeline. Clark was a Vietnam SEAL, yet they have MBJ playing him in modern times as a 30 something year old . It's like a giant finger to the people who were fans and would really want to go see it. I'm still waiting for a Rainbow Six movie, but I'd be scared what they would do to it!
Don't count on H.Wood to respect the story:rolleyes:

I hate it when you see someone using a .45 automatic pistol, mainly the 1911 variants, with the hammer down. I have only seen a handful of movies and tv shows over the last 50 some years where they actually show it with the hammer pulled back.

Yeah I got shadow banned on the Syfy Blastr website because the female authors would gush over all the male actors talking about their bodies and how hot they were, and even had multiple articles on the whole Captain America "America's *ss" comment. Then they would complain about how the female superhero outfits were designed with the "Male Gaze", which is obviously a brainwashed catchword they learned. I pointed out that they were hypocrites and they didn't like that. :lol:

I go to a lot of estate sales, and we are solidly in the "we were cool in the 70s" era of estate liquidation. I've seen many living room wet bars.

In superhero films, the obligatory shirtless abs scene.
But if it keeps my wife interested in the MCU then I can cope...
I don't mind it so much because a) as far as I know I'm neither gay nor bisexual, so it's just a guy without a shirt (or clothes, occasionally) and b) we guys who appreciate the female form have had more than enough opportunities over the years to see near-naked or naked women, so why not give the ladies their fair share?

I go to a lot of estate sales, and we are solidly in the "we were cool in the 70s" era of estate liquidation. I've seen many living room wet bars.
Cocktail parties used to be a thing regular middle class people would have. In fact I was recently gifted my great-aunt and uncle's 1930's/40's cut glass cocktail shaker. A wet bar is in my remodeling dream plan. I love making a quality cocktail, it's definitely cooking-adjacent.

Someone earlier posted the scene where the mother goes to a lot of trouble for breakfast and the kids whips through the room saying they have no time leaving a disappointed and unappreciated mom in their wake.
Seen exactly that scene on three different shows my wife watches this week! I even started pointing them out to my wife and noted how I'd read about it here and now I see it all the time.

That's why I liked the show "The Middle" because Frankie (the mom) will just pour their cereal in a bag and say "No time! Save it for lunch!". :lol:

One thing that always bugs me is shows, usually scifi shows where the people are piloting a ship and then the pilot will say something like "Cut in auxiliary power!" and the copilot will have to get up and run way back into the ship to do that. Uh no, that would be at the pilots' controls because that would be something you would need right now, not 30secs later! A pilot would have everything they would need in an emergency right in the cockpit. Now if it was a large ship like a warship, maybe you might have to do that, but not on a shuttle or small ship.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back