Things you're tired of seeing in movies

Or using firearms to do the same thing. I've shot everything from a matchlock to an anti-tank missile and anything in between and I'm telling you no small arms projectile would cleanly snap a chain lock! The only time you could sever the chain is if you hit with a high-explosive projectile from an artillery piece or an RPG or M203 HE round, but that'd blow up everything around the chain as well.

So you're saying it would be unlocked though? :lol:

Someone who can unlock any lock in seconds. Yes, there are very skilled lock pickers and lock smiths, and some Special Operations units teach this art to it's members, but it takes a second to figure out the lock type and how to defeat it. I know someone who can pick almost any lock and even he takes a few minutes.

Someone who can unlock any lock in seconds. Yes, there are very skilled lock pickers and lock smiths, and some Special Operations units teach this art to it's members, but it takes a second to figure out the lock type and how to defeat it. I know someone who can pick almost any lock and even he takes a few minutes.
Tangently related, but also when "hackers" are shown randomly clacking away at their keyboards. I'm considered a fast typist by average standards, which is even more impressive considering I'm self-taught, but anybody who doesn't hunt/peck their keyboard can tell when the portrayed hacker is simply typing away at random. It's an immediate turn off for me, for some reason.

Last edited:
Tangently related, but also when "hackers" are shown randomly clacking away at their keyboards. I'm considered a fast typist by average standards, and even more impressed considering I'm self-taught, but anybody who doesn't hunt/peck their keyboard can tell when the portrayed hacker is simply typing away at random. It's an immediate turn off for me, for some reason.
Not to mention that even as somebody who knows nothing about hacking knows that hacking almost certainly involves more than just randomly typing on your keyboard. I'm pretty sure that hackers use some sort of program to hack into computers, esp. remotely and, like most programs these days, involves as much mouse clicking as typing.

If watching the Lock Picking Lawyer on YouTube has taught me anything, it's that there are a lot of cheap locks out there that can be jiggled or raked open in seconds. But that's never the tools they show being used in movies.

Tangently related, but also when "hackers" are shown randomly clacking away at their keyboards. I'm considered a fast typist by average standards, which is even more impressive considering I'm self-taught, but anybody who doesn't hunt/peck their keyboard can tell when the portrayed hacker is simply typing away at random. It's an immediate turn off for me, for some reason.
It's similar to watching an actor pretend to play a musical instrument when they really can't. If you play, you can spot 'em almost immediately.

It's similar to watching an actor pretend to play a musical instrument when they really can't. If you play, you can spot 'em almost immediately.
Same as someone acting that they're shooting certain large weapons of flying an aircraft. Pilots can pick up on all the little things that aren't done right in flying scenes in the movies.
I watched a movie the other day where someone (whose character was supposed to know better) was shooting a M2 .50 caliber machine gun and really not doing it right. I didn't shoot Ma Dueces a lot in the Army, but I did enough...

Or using firearms to do the same thing. I've shot everything from a matchlock to an anti-tank missile and anything in between and I'm telling you no small arms projectile would cleanly snap a chain lock! The only time you could sever the chain is if you hit with a high-explosive projectile from an artillery piece or an RPG or M203 HE round, but that'd blow up everything around the chain as well.

"You're only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!!!" ;) ;) ;)

If watching the Lock Picking Lawyer on YouTube has taught me anything, it's that there are a lot of cheap locks out there that can be jiggled or raked open in seconds. But that's never the tools they show being used in movies.
You would not believe how many retail stores out there simply "soft lock" their padlocks. Granted, this is something I used to do in high school, because I never kept anything of value in my locker, but as I said I was in high school.
I was watching a movie a while back where somebody tried to shoot a large padlock, and not only did the lock not break, but the heat from the bullet made the lock momentarily too hot to break by hand. Exception to the rule, I know, but it was still nice to see.

Last edited:
That the problem with continuity. You film the shot of someone putting a box of ".50 caliber ball ammo" (of course, really they're blanks) through a M2 heavy machine gun, then you shoot the scene of the gunner looking over at his work 2-3 weeks later with a dummy (a real unloaded) machine gun. The actor, knowing the prop isn't hot, and either having totally forgot he shot a real one with blanks the previous week/month (or maybe his stand-in did), he's not going to worry (or even think) about grabbing the barrel.
It's very unlikely anyone behind the camera is going to notice, either, for the same reason.
Frankly, I'm surprised that kind (or any other kind) of continuity error doesn't happen way more often than it does.

The only alcohol anyone drinks in movies and tv is beer, wine, and straight whiskey.
True. And it's always ordered as just beer, or whiskey. Not even a stout, IPA, or Pilsner, just beer much less a brand. While I can understand not wanting to name an actual brand or make up a brand but they could always say something like "your choice", give the house draft, etc.

Yeah, and they always throw the hard stuff back like it doesn't do anything to you (except for comedic effect). I've known some raging alkies over the years and even they recoiled just a little when guzzling the hard stuff.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back