Things you're tired of seeing in movies

I'm intrigued that Mel Gibson seems to no longer have his Australian accent. I wonder if that happened naturally or if he's been method acting as an American since the 90's. Then again he was born in the US originally so maybe he was method acting as an Aussie all that time haha.

He has transcended accents, and is now simply "Grizzled"

Taking that back to the accents issue.

My kid was watching Celebrity Great British Bake Off the other day. An old episode saved on the Tivo box, and James McAvoy was on it.
I realised I'd never really heard him speak with a Scots accent. It was quite bizarre.

Now I'm really messed up because I thought he was English! I have a good ear for accents and I know England and Scotland have regional accents, but I can never identify them. My cousin's husband is from Scotland and he barely has any accent. I don't know if that's from living here for years or if it's regional.

Now I'm really messed up because I thought he was English! I have a good ear for accents and I know England and Scotland have regional accents, but I can never identify them. My cousin's husband is from Scotland and he barely has any accent. I don't know if that's from living here for years or if it's regional.
Yep, he's a Weedjie. He has quite a strong accent, but I've only ever really seen him as English or American in movies. Don't ever remember seeinv him be interviewed.

It can be both for Scots. My grandmother was from Edinborough and had a very soft accent, which eroded over the 60 years she spent down here, amongst the enemy!

A friend of mine here (Newcastle, geordie accent) went to Canadia to visit an aunt that had moved there 40+ years ago. As soon as they got there her family couldn't believe how she sounded as she lapsed immediately back into the accent and most of them had never heard her with it.

Taking that back to the accents issue.

My kid was watching Celebrity Great British Bake Off the other day. An old episode saved on the Tivo box, and James McAvoy was on it.
I realised I'd never really heard him speak with a Scots accent. It was quite bizarre.
I think I saw him on Top Gear years ago and was shocked to hear his real accent.

Thanks to watching Game of Thrones, I can now tell the difference between a Southern English accent and a Northern English accent but that's as detailed as I can get. I can generally tell the difference between Scottish and Irish, but not reliably and I sometimes have a hard time telling the difference between someone who is (far) northern English and (far) southern Scottish.

Thanks to watching Game of Thrones, I can now tell the difference between a Southern English accent and a Northern English accent but that's as detailed as I can get. I can generally tell the difference between Scottish and Irish, but not reliably and I sometimes have a hard time telling the difference between someone who is (far) northern English and (far) southern Scottish.

A friend of mine here (Newcastle, geordie accent) went to Canadia to visit an aunt that had moved there 40+ years ago. As soon as they got there her family couldn't believe how she sounded as she lapsed immediately back into the accent and most of them had never heard her with it.

Yeah the same cousin I mentioned went to Scotland and they had their wedding there. My uncle said her husband's accent was stronger when he was with his family than when he's here. So I don't know how that works!

My wife grew up in the suburbs just south of Chicago, but moved to southern California with her parents and older sister in the mid-1970s. She's lost most of her northern Illinois accent while living here, but whenever we/she goes back to Illinois to visit her family she returns with her Chicago accent intact again for a week or so. :unsure:

Yeah the same cousin I mentioned went to Scotland and they had their wedding there. My uncle said her husband's accent was stronger when he was with his family than when he's here. So I don't know how that works!
I'm from the Deep South (North Florida) and my parents have strong Southern (East Tennessee) accents. I grew up talking like that but when I left for the Army and got away from the area, I worked at ridding myself of it. These days, some people can say they can hear 'some kind' of latent accent, which most confuse for a Midwest accent if they can pick it up at all.
But when I ever go back to the South, it comes right back in full force. It drives my wife (who is from Oregon) nuts as she hates the sound of the accent.
I still use, "Y'all" from time to time but that's about it, I don't even use common Southern phrases, like "fixin' to do" something...

"Fixin" is a staple word where I live. I could never even imagine saying "I'm about to do something":D
I hear you there, but here in the Pac NW, nobody would have a clue what you meant by that.
I had to translate Southern-speak for my wife the first few times she came with me to visit my childhood hometown. One time, we went into a convenience store off I-10 near Chipley and she asked the people there for something. She got a lot of scowls from the locals there as it was clear she wasn't from the South.
I'll never forget the look on her face the first time she heard someone say, "I like to fell out," over something. It took me a moment to think how to explain the phrase to her, though I clearly understood. You never really think of figures of speech until you have to explain them to someone else.

Has she ever heard "Well, I swanny!"
People not from the South can never wrap their heads around that one! :D
I never heard it said that way, but several relatives of mine in East TN would say, "Well, I'll swan," which I always took as, "Well, I swear"...
But even then, it's been ages since I heard anyone say that.

People using swords to break chains. Did they just make chains out of cookie dough or something back in the old days?

That would actually be a good Mythbusters thing. I'm wondering if old cast iron or other old brittle iron would break if you had a heavy enough sword?

I rewatched the movie The Arrival (the good 1996 Charlie Sheen movie, not the translator movie), and at one point he uses the alien machine that the aliens use to make them look like humans, so he can escape their base. He immediately starts acting odd instead of just waltzing out like he works there. It's even more dumb because the alien mask starts bubbling because it's apparently not for humans, which makes him leaving quickly even more important. I've lost track of the movies where the character has a good disguise, then they act as suspicious as possible, like sneaking around when you should be acting normal!

That would actually be a good Mythbusters thing. I'm wondering if old cast iron or other old brittle iron would break if you had a heavy enough sword?
Possibly, but historically swords were never that heavy, despite what pop culture might have you believe. Swords designed for actual use typically weigh around 2 - 3 pounds, even the big two handed swords like a zweihander were in the same weight range and rapiers, despite appearing to be light weren't any lighter, largely due to the length of their blades. So I'd say you wouldn't find a properly made sword heavy enough to cut a chain unless the iron was very corroded and brittle.

Even if the metal was brittle, you wouldn't really want to use your expensive and well sharpened sword to hack a chain anyway. Doing so is great way to damage the edge of your blade resulting in a lot of work with a stone, or a sword smith to repair the damage.

People using swords to break chains. Did they just make chains out of cookie dough or something back in the old days?
Or using firearms to do the same thing. I've shot everything from a matchlock to an anti-tank missile and anything in between and I'm telling you no small arms projectile would cleanly snap a chain lock! The only time you could sever the chain is if you hit with a high-explosive projectile from an artillery piece or an RPG or M203 HE round, but that'd blow up everything around the chain as well.

Or using firearms to do the same thing. I've shot everything from a matchlock to an anti-tank missile and anything in between and I'm telling you no small arms projectile would cleanly snap a chain lock! The only time you could sever the chain is if you hit with a high-explosive projectile from an artillery piece or an RPG or M203 HE round, but that'd blow up everything around the chain as well.
I don't know about that. I'm pretty sure that you could probably a chain off of Wish that you could snap cleanly with something as small as a .38 Special, maybe even a .32 ACP. I mean, you can buy "body armor" off of Wish that has a hard time stopping even a .22LR, so I'm sure that you can buy chains from there that can be snapped by the average male just using their hands. :p

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back