Things you're tired of seeing in movies

Same here; quality product and tools. Your shaving cream brush (if maintained properly) will last you for decades...as well as your razor. Better than those stupid blue double-blade "razors" at Walmart:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:(n)(n)(n)

I've just used an electric one since the day I started shaving 40 years ago. I've never used a razor and cream in my life. My Dad was the same, so that's just how we did it. 30 to 45 seconds and I'm done.

But, certainly nothing against the other way. I just never learned how to do it that way. I'd probably kill myself.:cautious:

How about a scene where there's a firefight going on and someone throws their weapon over their shoulder and runs in to go hand to hand with the bad guys? That is the dumbest thing I've ever seen. That and a good guy squaring off with a bad guy where they throw their weapons down to fight "honorably". I'd like for once to have either side draw a hidden handgun from their back and shoot the guy.

Oh and treating special forces or intel black ops agents as morons who just want to kill everyone. I watched something on Delta Force recently and the guy that was a squad leader said in his squad everyone had degrees, two guys had Masters, and one guy had a PhD. Not to mention I believe all US special forces soldiers are required to speak at least one foreign language.

How about a scene where there's a firefight going on and someone throws their weapon over their shoulder and runs in to go hand to hand with the bad guys? That is the dumbest thing I've ever seen. That and a good guy squaring off with a bad guy where they throw their weapons down to fight "honorably". I'd like for once to have either side draw a hidden handgun from their back and shoot the guy.

Oh and treating special forces or intel black ops agents as morons who just want to kill everyone. I watched something on Delta Force recently and the guy that was a squad leader said in his squad everyone had degrees, two guys had Masters, and one guy had a PhD. Not to mention I believe all US special forces soldiers are required to speak at least one foreign language.
Yes, and the average person would be quite surprised how well educated US military officers are. My uncle was Marine Corps pilot and his post-service career was Philosophy professor.

Or how about people going into a place that they know is full of nothing but monsters, yet they go in with their guns pointed straight up. I don't know about you, but when I'm fighting monsters I'm not doing the "safe" thing and keeping the gun pointed towards the ceiling.

I used to use a soap brush, but I stopped shaving 30 years ago and haven't touched a razor since.
Is this you? :D

beard.jpg

I've known for awhile that gun physics and realism in movies and TV weren't the greatest. Wasn't until I met my husband (who has an associate's in firearms tech) that I learned specifically what gets screwed up, and now it's even more annoying because we can't ignore it. We actually just did a podcast episode on Aliens about how the pulse rifle statistics laid out in the extended universe aren't possible by any stretch of the imagination. The numbers in the Colonial Marines Technical Manual seem to be pulled from the writer's ass.

Aside from bad logic, I hate seeing writers set up an interesting character, only to throw them away by killing them off or having them disappear. Stargate: SG-1 has several examples of this. Don't set up characters to play a major part and then off them unceremoniously because plot (or lack thereof). It's not impactful; it's infuriating.

Historical accuracy is another pet peeve of mine. I completely understand not being able to get every single detail correct, but with the sheer number of resources at your disposal (books, internet, museums, etc.), it shouldn't be difficult to faithfully replicate the era you're trying to present.

I've known for awhile that gun physics and realism in movies and TV weren't the greatest. Wasn't until I met my husband (who has an associate's in firearms tech) that I learned specifically what gets screwed up, and now it's even more annoying because we can't ignore it. We actually just did a podcast episode on Aliens about how the pulse rifle statistics laid out in the extended universe aren't possible by any stretch of the imagination. The numbers in the Colonial Marines Technical Manual seem to be pulled from the writer's ass.

Aside from bad logic, I hate seeing writers set up an interesting character, only to throw them away by killing them off or having them disappear. Stargate: SG-1 has several examples of this. Don't set up characters to play a major part and then off them unceremoniously because plot (or lack thereof). It's not impactful; it's infuriating.

Historical accuracy is another pet peeve of mine. I completely understand not being able to get every single detail correct, but with the sheer number of resources at your disposal (books, internet, museums, etc.), it shouldn't be difficult to faithfully replicate the era you're trying to present.
I can understand your frustration about historical accuracy...not every Director is named Stanley Kubrick. And even then...budgets/studio suits are a bitch most of the time. You do/make with the resources you have, period! Hero costumes should be accurate, sure! Not so much for the extras.
As for weapons, it's the same IMO. ;)

My favorite gross historical inaccuracy was Al Pacino in Revolution (1985). Pacino was an American frontiersman of Scottish ancestry in the American Revolution speaking with a full modern Brooklyn accent. I think Pacino just didn't want to bother speaking in any other way.

My favorite gross historical inaccuracy was Al Pacino in Revolution (1985). Pacino was an American frontiersman of Scottish ancestry in the American Revolution speaking with a full modern Brooklyn accent. I think Pacino just didn't want to bother speaking in any other way.
Well, he`s not an actor known for his ``accents`` ;)

More like most American actors aren't known for their accents, esp. when compared to British actors.

I've always wondered if it's easier to English/Australian actors to do American accents. I still remember watching Chuck and Yvonne Strahovski's character was going undercover as an Aussie scientist. I thought to myself "Wow she has a great Aussie accent!" and didn't even realize she was Australian. I would usually go over and watch scifi stuff like the newer BSG, SG-1, etc. with my dad and it became a running joke that we'd go "Holy crap, they're British!" because so many were playing Americans.

I've always wondered if it's easier to English/Australian actors to do American accents. I still remember watching Chuck and Yvonne Strahovski's character was going undercover as an Aussie scientist. I thought to myself "Wow she has a great Aussie accent!" and didn't even realize she was Australian. I would usually go over and watch scifi stuff like the newer BSG, SG-1, etc. with my dad and it became a running joke that we'd go "Holy crap, they're British!" because so many were playing Americans.
I think most folks around the world watching at least some American movies and television shows and, thus, have some exposure to American accents from a young age. Hollywood is practically inescapable. If you are in the entertainment industry in any English speaking country you would invariably be called upon to apply an American accent somewhere in your training or career, I would think.

Conversely, it's not uncommon for Americans to grow up hearing, say, English (or South Aftican, or Kiwi or Aussie...) accents only from other American actors.

I've always chalked it up to their training and there being such a wide variety accents all over the UK. So you have Scottish actors who need to play and Englishman, or somebody with a naturally heavy Cockney accents needs to play an aristocrat and so on. So, I've always figured that because of that, British actors receive more training in how to do accents than Americans seem to.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back