Things you're tired of seeing in movies

And then the spouse/significant other etc will try to guilt them into not doing their job, quitting or retiring and make it so the character has to decide between their job and being in a relationship/marraige. Which inevitably leads to the trite "one last score" or "one last mission."
This trope is more common in the super hero genre than magic metal is. I bet you can name a dozen examples without even trying where the plot involves the wife/girlfriend being mad because the hero won't take the office job/work on a farm instead of saving the world.

Nerd stumbles and drops a bunch of papers, and nobody helps. This turns them into a supervillain.
2 days ago at work I was carrying a big folder with a few hundred pages. Safety stuff. At least half the pages fell out as everyone watched and launghed. I yelled out, "I feel like the nerd at school again."
So yes, I have decided to become a super villain now. Hmmmm, how should I try and take over the world???.........

2 days ago at work I was carrying a big folder with a few hundred pages. Safety stuff. At least half the pages fell out as everyone watched and launghed. I yelled out, "I feel like the nerd at school again."
So yes, I have decided to become a super villain now. Hmmmm, how should I try and take over the world???.........

Hold on. You need a nemesis - preferably one that has a girlfriend.

Either the world is coming to an end or the main (good guy) character is about to eat it from something really large (like the common low-speed nuclear blast) and they know there's nothing they can do.
Then it all fades to white, all nice, neat and tidy.
Just once I'd love to see them tossed through the air in a flying sea of debris, screaming as they're blasted into pieces and burned to a crisp, just to freak out the audience.

Or, how about when the world is ending, and the power is still on up to the very last millisecond? The power here sometimes goes out if it's just more than a little breezy!

Either the world is coming to an end or the main (good guy) character is about to eat it from something really large (like the common low-speed nuclear blast) and they know there's nothing they can do.
Then it all fades to white, all nice, neat and tidy.
Just once I'd love to see them tossed through the air in a flying sea of debris, screaming as they're blasted into pieces and burned to a crisp, just to freak out the audience.

Or, how about when the world is ending, and the power is still on up to the very last millisecond? The power here sometimes goes out if it's just more than a little breezy!
Well, the nuke blast in Terminator gave you that;)

Ok I have a few new ones, and this comment feeds into it. Just once I would like to see a movie were the actually real world effect is shown on screen. For example, someone gets their throat cut and the blood pumps with the correct force. The amount of times you see someone cut the throat of someone while standing in front of them and they stay there when in the real world they would be covered in blood.

The skilled bad guy has the drop on the skilled good guy and then puts the gun to the back of his head. A skilled person does not move into within 6 foot of someone until they cannot fight back because that training is part of being skilled.

Ok, noticed this on a TV show and realised that it does really bug me. Someone rushes into a room to find someone else pinned to the floor and then moves the object off them. Everyone is fine and we move on. The problem with this is you should never do this unless you know how long the person has been trapped because if it over 15 minutes moving the object could kill them.

Ok I have a few new ones, and this comment feeds into it. Just once I would like to see a movie were the actually real world effect is shown on screen. For example, someone gets their throat cut and the blood pumps with the correct force. The amount of times you see someone cut the throat of someone while standing in front of them and they stay there when in the real world they would be covered in blood.

The skilled bad guy has the drop on the skilled good guy and then puts the gun to the back of his head. A skilled person does not move into within 6 foot of someone until they cannot fight back because that training is part of being skilled.

Ok, noticed this on a TV show and realised that it does really bug me. Someone rushes into a room to find someone else pinned to the floor and then moves the object off them. Everyone is fine and we move on. The problem with this is you should never do this unless you know how long the person has been trapped because if it over 15 minutes moving the object could kill them.
I'm sure that pretty much every movie director knows that slicing another person's throat is not a nice and neat, clean process. But I'm pretty sure the choice to not go realistic is from a rating point of view, I'm pretty sure that the ratings review board would give any movie that showed a realistic throat cutting would get an instant R (at least) slapped on it. Depending on the kind of movie being and how broad an audience you want to reach, an R rating can be a bad thing.

The gun to the head is largely a matter of drama, it's a visual way of showing the skill of the person/how unaware the victim is. It's also a matter of framing, movies and TV shows always show thing much closer than they would generally be in real life in order to keep everything/everybody in frame. If you have somebody pointing a gun at someone from 6' or more away, you have to go wider in the shot and it might not look as good as it does when they're within 6' of each. It's just a part of visual storytelling.

Mild spoiler for the film 1917

On the reverse side of things (AKA something I thought was really well done),
the movie death I’ve been the most affected by was probably Blake’s in 1917. It happened in real time, I watched the blood drain completely from his face, and you can literally see his pulse from the waves of blood gushing from his stomach wound. I thought it was jarring to see how quickly something like that could happen.

The thing I didn't get about the whole "real time" in 1917 was the movie is two hours yet the story takes place from an afternoon, then a whole night, on into the next morning. Even with the "one shot" deal, something doesn't add up.

The thing I didn't get about the whole "real time" in 1917 was the movie is two hours yet the story takes place from an afternoon, then a whole night, on into the next morning. Even with the "one shot" deal, something doesn't add up.
Have you seen the movie? Not being sarcastic, genuinely asking

I'm sure that pretty much every movie director knows that slicing another person's throat is not a nice and neat, clean process. But I'm pretty sure the choice to not go realistic is from a rating point of view, I'm pretty sure that the ratings review board would give any movie that showed a realistic throat cutting would get an instant R (at least) slapped on it. Depending on the kind of movie being and how broad an audience you want to reach, an R rating can be a bad thing.
Yeah I get that however just want someone to do real world once. R ratings are now a thing just look at Deadpool.

The gun to the head is largely a matter of drama, it's a visual way of showing the skill of the person/how unaware the victim is. It's also a matter of framing, movies and TV shows always show thing much closer than they would generally be in real life in order to keep everything/everybody in frame. If you have somebody pointing a gun at someone from 6' or more away, you have to go wider in the shot and it might not look as good as it does when they're within 6' of each. It's just a part of visual storytelling.
I cannot remember what I have seen it used in however they have done it right and had the partner blocking the shot and that is how it gets turned around. It has even been mentioned as a plot point along the lines of get closer and it like no because then he will be able to attack me before I can shot him.
There is a thing about shot framing as movie swords are often shorter than they should be. On Tod's channel on YouTube they talk about this in the Witcher swords and it really interesting. There are like four or five different types of the same swords used in the show for various reasons.

Mild spoiler for the film 1917
On the reverse side of things (AKA something I thought was really well done),
I think that film is the closest anyone has got to what it would have been like. Jocko does military biography reviews on his podcast and the WW1 are horrific sounding. It actually a toss up between them, the WW2 highlander story or the North Korea story for story that makes you want despair.

Yeah I get that however just want someone to do real world once. R ratings are now a thing just look at Deadpool.

I cannot remember what I have seen it used in however they have done it right and had the partner blocking the shot and that is how it gets turned around. It has even been mentioned as a plot point along the lines of get closer and it like no because then he will be able to attack me before I can shot him.
There is a thing about shot framing as movie swords are often shorter than they should be. On Tod's channel on YouTube they talk about this in the Witcher swords and it really interesting. There are like four or five different types of the same swords used in the show for various reasons.

I think that film is the closest anyone has got to what it would have been like. Jocko does military biography reviews on his podcast and the WW1 are horrific sounding. It actually a toss up between them, the WW2 highlander story or the North Korea story for story that makes you want despair.
It was literally the first “modern war”. Soldiers weren’t and could never be prepared for the new depths of depravity that technological advances in weaponry could bring.

It was literally the first “modern war”. Soldiers weren’t and could never be prepared for the new depths of depravity that technological advances in weaponry could bring.
Hardcore Histories have just done WW1 and this is a big point Dan makes all the way through. We always get the modern Black Adder view of that war however it really interesting to have this no one had used those weapons against someone else using those weapons. It was the first modern war. There was a warning of it in the American Civil war however like a lot of these things no one learnt those lessons.
I like the story of them wondering why the German Artillery had stopped firing and went to look and all the gunners are on the ground taking cover. It was the first time they had fired for effect and they were shocked by how loud and violent it was.

Yeah putting the gun to someone's head or into their back really just lets that person know where the gun is. As a lifelong martial artist, if someone was going to kill me, I'm going to take a chance at spinning around and knocking the gun away!

The latter reminds me of a similar thing where someone is impaled with something and their buddy runs up and yanks it out. You never remove an object because it might be preventing the person from bleeding out! That's just basic first aid I learned in Boy Scouts!

Another gun related thing that bugs the hell out of me is when you have supposed special forces soldiers who walk through doors with their gun extended out in front of them. It would be a piece of cake to disarm someone walking through a door leading with their gun! This is just common sense so I don't know why they keep letting actors do this.

Yeah putting the gun to someone's head or into their back really just lets that person know where the gun is. As a lifelong martial artist, if someone was going to kill me, I'm going to take a chance at spinning around and knocking the gun away!
Yeah if someone defines range they are solving the triangle for you in a big way. I am always a little surprised that no one drops a little and steps back and then breaks the arm holding the gun.

The latter reminds me of a similar thing where someone is impaled with something and their buddy runs up and yanks it out. You never remove an object because it might be preventing the person from bleeding out! That's just basic first aid I learned in Boy Scouts!
Forgot about that one and yes it very annoying.

Another gun related thing that bugs the hell out of me is when you have supposed special forces soldiers who walk through doors with their gun extended out in front of them. It would be a piece of cake to disarm someone walking through a door leading with their gun! This is just common sense so I don't know why they keep letting actors do this.
That actually getting to be a bigger and bigger problem with John Wick etc leading the way of people who really know what they are doing so making the people who do it wrong stand out more. I find myself watching the third and fourth men in SEAL Team CBQ as they always have their guns pointed in the wrong direction.

Yes, I agree. I have no problems with the film, I enjoyed it very much. However, I only just watched it about a month ago. By then I had seen all the behind-the-scenes stuff of the supposedly "one-shot movie". I was wondering how a WWI mission was going to take place in less than the space of two hours if any actual land distance was to be covered.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back