Things you're tired of seeing in movies

For some bad fake drinking, check out the deleted Biggs/Anchorhead scene from Star Wars. Biggs seemingly drinks the last drop from his container two or three times.

This just came to me. It's funny how every time a show or movie features a veteran they're always a combat vet and and a grunt or spec-ops at that. You never see a vet that's from any of the other combat arms, much less one that had a non-combat/support MOS (job field). No admin types, no cooks, mechanics, radar operators, etc. Always a grunt or SEAL, Special Forces, Delta, etc. who's seen action and this was even before Iraq and Afghanistan when combat vets were less common.

This just came to me. It's funny how every time a show or movie features a veteran they're always a combat vet and and a grunt or spec-ops at that. You never see a vet that's from any of the other combat arms, much less one that had a non-combat/support MOS (job field). No admin types, no cooks, mechanics, radar operators, etc. Always a grunt or SEAL, Special Forces, Delta, etc. who's seen action and this was even before Iraq and Afghanistan when combat vets were less common.
You're right.
My father washed tanks after they came in from exercises on a base in the US- now that is some vet story you will never hear ion screen...
(He did try out for paratrooper but he had a problem with heights and causes a real scene when a bunch of men had to back down the ladder of the jump tower, from then on he got to wash tanks)

Amen.
I was an Ordnance officer in heavy mech units. I can count my good service stories on one hand (three less normal landings in helicopters than I should have, getting shot by a Marine on a training exercise which only needed a band-aid as it was such a light graze from the bullet but ruined a good pair of boots I just broke in) and though I'm still bummed about the solider I lost and the death notifications I made to young wives (one of the few things that war movies get right, I found out, the hard way), they were all stateside training or off duty accidents.
Oh, I also drag-raced an M1 tank against Bradley in my motor pool (I won behind the controls of the Abrams), but nobody else knew about that at the time, and that was ages ago.
I was working toward going for SF when I found I wasn't built for the running, and I soon decided to get out from that and my wife hating being an Army officer's wife.
Now, all that said, anyone with measurable military training can use it when needed. You never forget some of that stuff. I knew a WW2 vet in the 90s who had a home invasion robbery happen and he instantly recalled the house-to-house fighting in Germany at the end of the war, and used that experience to quickly end his attackers.
I'd put even a National Guard postal unit veteran (yes, there is such a thing, I saw such a unit at Fort Polk once) against a civilian with no training at all, in a time of crisis.
Man and woman looking at each other telling each other how much they hate they feel for one another, than kiss and make love.
As if that happens in real life.
Yeah, I've never understood that. Think of all the people over the years who've misunderstood someone hating them for this, instead, with likely never any good outcome!

Last edited:
No matter what happens the hero ALWAYS seem to get a good:

Parking spot
Place in line
Seat(s) in a theater

Go on and on and on and on...
Never wait for elevators (unless it is important to the plot to wait)
Never need to gas up a car (unless it is important to the plot to do so)
Turn on the TV just in time to hear the important news bulletin.

face it- these are fantasy wish fulfillments buried in a movie

Last edited:
And the TV bulletin always breaks into regular programming with a reporter live on scene, even though the subject matter is not a big enough deal (except to the hero) to warrant such coverage. Usually what they're reporting would just be in the regular newscast.

Kinda OT but this made me think of it: a McGuffin in the 90s Godzilla movie is a video tape. At least three different props are used for it, from three different formats (3/4", Betacam, and even VHS!).

When someone appears to be looking into a mirror at an angle so the camera shows their reflection to the audience. I can't remember what movie it was I saw over the weekend but the hero wasn't even standing in front of the mirror. It was SO BAD!

Does anyone ever use a computer mouse in movies anymore? Most computers I've ever used have point-and-click user interfaces and a mouse has been the standard way to work for the past thirty years but we never seem to see a mouse in movies. I guess it's movie shorthand for "this guy is a super techie who writes code" but the actor always sits at the keyboard and goes clicketyclicketyclicketyclicketyclicketyTAP! If they used a mouse it would be so much quicker - swooshClick done!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back