Things you're tired of seeing in movies

Guys riding on dirt bikes over rough terrain. Then, the close up of the actor and he is riding while still sitting on the seat. Anybody who has ever ridden a dirt bike knows that when going over rough terrain you don't sit on the seat. You pretty much stand on the foot pedals allowing your knees to absorb the shock.

I think that those scenes are just one of those suspension of disbelief things. You're supposed to pretend that the room is darker than it really is otherwise you won't be able to see a damned thing.
Blake Edwards did a whole scene in pretty much complete darkness- aside from two glow in the dark condoms...

I think that those scenes are just one of those suspension of disbelief things. You're supposed to pretend that the room is darker than it really is otherwise you won't be able to see a damned thing.
Or night scenes.

“Fury Road”, despite being without Gibson, is a near perfect action film. The “night” scenes were very obviously shot in broad daylight. It might have looked more realistic if they at least filmed in overcast instead of broad daylight. I think they probably wanted to capture facial detail but maybe they went a little overboard. The blue is so saturated and the detail is so vivid I wasn’t certain they were supposed to be night scenes.

I doesn’t hurt the film. I just chalk it down to the director’s impressionistic visuals.

I have a weird fondness for those cheap low budget world wide disaster films. Usually in each one you have an incredible storm with a black twisted CGI sky and the scenes on the ground with people trying to survive it are in full daylight

To me, fury road gets away with that better, because everything is ostensibly "post nuclear war", and exists in a ravaged and changed environment. So the other-worldly look of the "night" or "dusk" scenes they had made the whole scenario feel more alien, and much less jarring than the same look would have felt in most other films.

Probably not the director's goal; just a happy coincidence that happened to enhance my enjoyment of it.

Not so much seeing, but hearing:
"Wait, what?"
It is used in literally everything. I mean that in the literal sense, not the figurative.

Listen out for it, I almost guarantee its in the next film or show you watch.

Candles.
Rooms being entirely lit with hundreds of candles.
Short ones too- they would only last for so long- by the time you lit the last one the first ones are running out of wax.
It is especially annoying with a series like 'Jericho' - the world has been destroyed, all the town has was what is already in it- no delivery trucks of fuel or supplies ever expected again. People use what little gas they have left to go someplace just to discuss their feelings with each other, in a room filled with lit candles. It was empty when they came in, so somebody lit all the candles and then left them burning just to provide these two people with a nice backdrop for their talk.
Even in 'The Game of Thrones', they go down into an underground crypt which is lit with candles, short ones, and no one else around.

I know all these candles make for a wonderfully lighted scene full of atmosphere and warmth, but it is annoying the stew out of me trying to watch a scene and not wonder who is lighting all these candles and how little time they last.

Last edited:
The Star-crossed lover/Romeo & Juliet theme. Everybody complains about it and I'm sick of seeing the endless bitching about how every single movie is "Romeo and Juliet with Indians" or "Romeo and Juliet in space". ****! Just drop it already, Hollywood! I'm sick of seeing people complain about it. There would be hundreds more "timeless classics" out there if they didn't have a star-crossed lover theme in them. I swear, there's movies where this is the ONLY problem people have with it.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back