Things you're tired of seeing in movies

The purpose of dive bombing wasn't specifically for armor penetration so much as a means of delivering your bomb more or less where you want it. Point your nose at the target and the bomb will hit more or less around there. You have to remember that dive bombing was done over land as well, it wasn't a purely naval thing.

I know that I just meant in a naval battle you want your bomb to penetrate the deck, or at least it's a better strike if you do. Laying your bomb on the deck would most likely have a lot of the force directed out away from the ship.

Space or underwater movies where there's a hull breach and the bulkheads don't automatically close. ROTS and Underwater (don't bother...) I'm talking to you! There's always a scramble to reach the controls and shut the doors when that should be automatic!

I’m getting tired of grenades being incendiary devices. That’s not how grenades work. They launch shrapnel. That’s why a guy laying down on a grenade would do anything. If it were a bomb or something like that, I’m not sure it would do that much.

I’m getting tired of grenades being incendiary devices. That’s not how grenades work. They launch shrapnel. That’s why a guy laying down on a grenade would do anything. If it were a bomb or something like that, I’m not sure it would do that much.
Amen. I ran a grenade range on active duty and watched a few go off from the tower. I never even saw a small HE flash, just a cloud that oddly looked brown/purple to a degree. I didn't even see the shrapnel (which is normally very small) causing impacts with anything. I did, though, have a piece or two strike the armored view window glass (which was quite thick). I heard that but never saw it.
But yeah, the low-yield-nuke hand grenades on movies drive me nuts. I was asked to become a "WW2 USMC Platoon Leader" for 'Windtalkers' by one of the advisors but I just couldn't swing the leave time as I was a real-life Army LT at the time. I regretted not taking part until I saw the movie in theaters later. I felt like I dodged a bullet being involved in that "any similarity between this movie and reality is purely coincidental," piece of celluloid excrement. Lots of plutonium-tipped ordnance in that film!
The funny part is that the concussive force of a grenade is actually pretty powerful, something Hollywood underplays. It can really rattle your teeth if it's close by.
Had a solider just clear the berm in the pit, the grenade went off less than 5 feet away from the thrower and the NCO in the pit. They were both pretty rattled when they came back.
In the movies, you see people tossing them into rooms where the walls have freaking drywall! Those stick houses would provide as much protection against a grenade as would a cardboard box!

Last edited:
Heck I remember hearing a story of some US soldiers, either in WW2 or Vietnam (can't remember), who were "fishing" with grenades somewhere and the one guy was standing in ankle deep water. The grenade went off maybe 20-30yds away and broke his ankle from the concussion.

Speaking of grenades, how about all the movies where you see the bad guys with the newest western military arms and ordnance? Where the heck did they get it from? Accountability on that stuff is pretty tight, and unless you make it a plot point where someone just stole a pallet of grenades or a truck full of new automatic weapons, it doesn't make much sense.
It'd make so much more sense to have them armed with Russian stuff from the 90s or earlier as many of those armories got compromised at the end of the cold war.

The HK 'slap'.

Actually I take it back. I don't get tired of it haha. I'm hoping to try it someday. Looks very satisfying.

Speaking of grenades, how about all the movies where you see the bad guys with the newest western military arms and ordnance? Where the heck did they get it from? Accountability on that stuff is pretty tight, and unless you make it a plot point where someone just stole a pallet of grenades or a truck full of new automatic weapons, it doesn't make much sense.
It'd make so much more sense to have them armed with Russian stuff from the 90s or earlier as many of those armories got compromised at the end of the cold war.

Several years back they found some Green Berets who went rogue and were selling arms and equipment they were stealing. I think we'd be surprised to hear what you can buy. I might be wrong though.

Someone stops time and all the people and stuff are frozen, yet none of them ever fall over. The protagonist still is able to walk around, pour drinks, drop stuff, etc. So, gravity obviously still works. Yet, frozen people in mid-step just stand there, perfectly balanced.

Someone stops time and all the people and stuff are frozen, yet none of them ever fall over. The protagonist still is able to walk around, pour drinks, drop stuff, etc. So, gravity obviously still works. Yet, frozen people in mid-step just stand there, perfectly balanced.
I wrote a short story in college exactly about this. the main character is made aware of a device that will stop time. But he doesn't stop to think of the reality of this, hits the button, and instantly finds himself trapped like a fly an amber, locked in place by the particles and atoms surrounding him and inside his lungs. He dies slowly and painfully as you expect, and it ended with centuries later, an alien race encounters this part of the universe completely frozen as a solid, and they're drilling their way to earth to see what caused it, with an estimated time of about 100 years...
My professor read it to the class, saying it was first time anyone had thought of that in his over 30 years in teaching. I could do no wrong in that class after that, as he had started by saying we'd never come up with anything new...

I wrote a short story in college exactly about this. the main character is made aware of a device that will stop time. But he doesn't stop to think of the reality of this, hits the button, and instantly finds himself trapped like a fly an amber, locked in place by the particles and atoms surrounding him and inside his lungs. He dies slowly and painfully as you expect, and it ended with centuries later, an alien race encounters this part of the universe completely frozen as a solid, and they're drilling their way to earth to see what caused it, with an estimated time of about 100 years...
My professor read it to the class, saying it was first time anyone had thought of that in his over 30 years in teaching. I could do no wrong in that class after that, as he had started by saying we'd never come up with anything new...
Very interesting premises; I like it a lot (very Outer Limits (y) (y))

The person who can hit anything with a single shot, from any weapon, they first time they ever pick one of the type up. Hand them a blunderbuss muzzleloader and they'll be able to pick off a house fly from 1000 meters, on their first shot ever.
Puh-lease. I'm a darned good shot (used to shoot in competitions, and always shot expert on rifles in the Army) and grew up around firearms, and I know for sure that this type of person doesn't exist.

Full CG faces of old actors. I’m talking Jeff Bridges, I’m talking Carrie Fisher, I’m talking Blade Runner 2049, I’m talking…a more recent addition to this group…it never looks that good and I feel like the filmmakers think we’re stupid. Like, we won’t understand who the character is if they don’t look exactly the same. Marvel’s de-aging is fine, especially since they’re still usually being played by the same actor, but when they do their full remodel of the head? Don’t like it.

Full CG faces of old actors. I’m talking Jeff Bridges, I’m talking Carrie Fisher, I’m talking Blade Runner 2049, I’m talking…a more recent addition to this group…it never looks that good and I feel like the filmmakers think we’re stupid. Like, we won’t understand who the character is if they don’t look exactly the same. Marvel’s de-aging is fine, especially since they’re still usually being played by the same actor, but when they do their full remodel of the head? Don’t like it.

What did they do from 2049? Rachel? I thought they just got a spot on actress for that one.

What did they do from 2049? Rachel? I thought they just got a spot on actress for that one.
Yeah, Rachel. I actually think Tarkin looks better than Rachel, but I’ve heard a lot of people say “she’s the best CG face”. Actually, the best CG face is probably one most people didn’t know was used, which was in Logan. The young Logan clone in that movie is a stunt double with an entirely CG head, and I still can’t believe it.

I thought Tarkin looked pretty darn good. The Marvel studio so far is the best IMO. The one movie where they had Tony showing that psychology program he made and the interaction with his parents, I thought they had used footage from his older movies or something!

In a movie where a character has powers and then their power is stolen or copied, the bad guy who copies the power is suddenly more skillful or powerful than the original person. Case in point, Daisy in the last season of Agents of Shield. The bad guy gains her same power and is instantly in full control of them and almost her equal to the point where she really has to fight to beat him. She took years to master her power and in one timeline would have quaked the entire planet apart!

In a movie where a character has powers and then their power is stolen or copied, the bad guy who copies the power is suddenly more skillful or powerful than the original person
I think you just described 90% of superheroes and their supervillains. My youngest brother is a big fan of that CW Flash show, and it seems like every season is “this is the newest fast guy, and Flash is going to have to get even faster if he wants to beat this fast guy”.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back