Things to do with a DC Direct Holy Shotgun

Birdie

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
The first thing is to get rid of that bloody annoying base and hands. Having paid a ridiculous $45 dollars for this piece, I was not in the least shy of taking a dremel to it.

The gun is actually quite simple to remove. The gun is quite loosely pinned to the fingers, but the resin is very thin where the butt is pinned to the base, as I found out.

One I fixed the hole in the butt, I filled the pin holes, added the cross sight from the hero version and primed the sucker.

The original paintjob is just all-out crappy. The flattest gold and silver colours I think I've ever seen. Also, the inscriptions from the stunt cast really are weak, and I'm afraid I lost even more repainting this sucker.

I resprayed with gold & silver metallic Plasticote (thanks, RPF, for turning me onto those)

Th end result looked 100 times better than the original job. I had a few setbacks, though. I personally found the Plasticote Gold to have some serious curing problems, and when you finally get to add the correct (and very expensive) sealer, it take off all the sheen, leaving you with a standard gold paint look. Great.

I painted in the vents and cylinder crosses with metalcote gunmetal, and painted the shell ends with a standard gold enamel.

anyway, enough waffle, pics.

con0.jpg

con1.jpg

con2.jpg

con3.jpg

con4.jpg

Oh that just kicks ass..
***runs to eBay***
Wheee.....
Have you thought about lightly black washing the engraving for a little more detail?

Originally posted by Hotshot@Feb 2 2006, 01:38 AM
Oh that just kicks ass..
***runs to eBay***
Wheee.....
Have you thought about lightly black washing the engraving for a little more detail?
[snapback]1173852[/snapback]​

Yup, that's my next step :) I have to pick up some black acrylic tomorrow.

Originally posted by Birdie+Feb 1 2006, 10:54 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Birdie @ Feb 1 2006, 10:54 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-James Kenobi 1138
@Feb 2 2006, 01:49 AM
Do you have a pic of it in the original configuration with the hands attached?
[snapback]1173860[/snapback]​

http://www.dccomics.com/dcdirect/?dcd=3324
[snapback]1173966[/snapback]​
[/b]

The original finish is absolutely craptastic. You have made it 100 times better. Excellent work. I look forward to more pics after the black wash.

Originally posted by takevin@Feb 2 2006, 06:03 AM
is this a heavy piece? because selllers are on ebay are selling it with shipping from 25 to 35 bucks..
[snapback]1174057[/snapback]​

It is heavy, but what really causes the hefty shipping is the big polystone base & the massive case it comes in.

Birdie that looks great. Hey, was it possible to salvage the hands/base after removing it in order to have a display you could set it back on after your repaint and upgrades? I'm tempted to grab one of these now at those prices.

Originally posted by rad1701@Feb 2 2006, 03:01 PM
Birdie that looks great.  Hey, was it possible to salvage the hands/base after removing it in order to have a display you could set it back on after your repaint and upgrades?  I'm tempted to grab one of these now at those prices.
[snapback]1174260[/snapback]​

I couldn't save the hands, but the base is salvageable. I used the dremel to cut through the fingertips, which gives you the traction to work the pins loose, without breaking the resin on the gun.

The base is actually pretty nice, and I will almost certainly work out a new way of supporting the gun on it. I wasn't too keen on the hands anyway, they just look obtrusive.

Thanks for the info. I just snagged one off eBay. Didn't realize at first that these were full 1:1 scale. Seems like they are going for a great price right now.

Yea, the price has really leveled off. It's original price tag was ludakris.
Do you think it would be possible to make the flashlight on top functional?

Originally posted by TimDrakeRobin@Feb 2 2006, 08:24 PM
Yea, the price has really leveled off. It's original price tag was ludakris.
Do you think it would be possible to make the flashlight on top functional?
[snapback]1174489[/snapback]​

Not really. The clear part is a solid clear-cast plug & the flashlight body seems to be solid resin too.

I'm trying to figure out a way to 'break' the fingers so that I can reglue them back and after a complete re-paint put the gun back in the hands in such a way so that the gun can still easily be removed.

Ok, I wanna get one of these - but as shipping to the UK is ridiculous (almost double the cheap price of the piece itself) I wonder if one of our esteemed American members would get one from Ebay at the dirt cheap price and chop the base off at the fingers/wrists and send me the gun only. You could keep the base :)

SAS

Birdie,

You made that ... thing ... back into a real nice looking prop. You are more magician than prop maker (or maybe the dark arts :))

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back