Things that didn't "sell" the character to you.

Steamboat Spidey

I was recently watching The Dark Knight and I think that the thing that bothered me most was the cheesy lines that Batman had. Just really bad,and that was something that didnt sell the performance of batman for me. What character from a movie had some inconsistencies that didn't "sell" the character for you?

Deathly Hallows Part 2
After all these years of sinister stuff from Voldemort and then there he is at the final battle like a school yard bully with all his "friends" taunting poor Neville with snide remarks. Wasn't very dark lord-ish to me......and quit silly, in fact. IMO

Shylaah

Everyone in a while an actor (usually a comedian) will be doing a spot on job and then they act like themselves for a moment.
Robin Williams has done that a bit, worst part for me was in Toys.
I was one of the people against Keaton as Batman. I was happily surprised at the movies...except a scene where Bruce is talking to Vicki Vale about how most people are. The scene is fine but he seemed like Keaton instead of Bruce Wayne there.
Same thing happened in Analyze This when Billy Crystal goes the mob meeting and gives hisA.K.As. It is some funny shtick but I felt I was watching Crystal instead of the analyst.

Wolf

I agree with Jar Jar Binks...

Although Liam Neeson covered Jar Jar's rear end there... His presence saved the movie... For me anyway.

Jack Black in almost every movie he does... Same heavy-metal attitude… Nothing much wrong with that except he plays that almost same character way too often. It kind of kills the character he's trying to play when you see him playing the same person with a different name in a different situation so often… However, I will say I LOVED him in Tropic Thunder…

Hmmm...tough one.Others had mentioned ones that didn't do it for me.Christin Hayden as "Darth Vader" was just unbelievable from the get go.You wouldn't think of Darth Vader as a whiny cry baby having temper tantrums.It was just all wrong most of the time.I blame Lucas for a poorly written script/dialog. Pretty much all of the characters in Skyline were unbelievable as well as in Sucker Punch.Again, a poorly written script/dialog and character development.Let's not forget some of the last half dozen or so films Nicolas Cage has been in(excluding Kick Ass).That's what happens when a rough draft is turned into a film and you pick a desperate actor who will do just about anything.There are others, but I can't think of them right now.I'm suffering for a damn head cold.

Dobby. "Wheee! WHA-HOO!!! WHA-HEYYY!!" <jumping on bed> "Oh Mr. HARRY POTTER sir! Dobby is SO PLEASED to meet you sir! Dobby would SO LIKE to give you a foot massage sir! And maybe stalk you a little, sir!!"

Honestly. I don't CARE if it's in the book. Just snip the little creep out already.

Astronaut type space crews that act like drunken grease monkey idiots, panic and turn on each other. How do these jokers ever get on a flight crew????

Or in the future I guess they are desperate to hire?

Many films have this problem to varying degrees.

Last edited:
Pretty much any A list actor, unfortunately. Once they reach a certain level of fame, it's hard not to see the actor, rather than the character. My favorite actors tend to be the ones that people refer to as "They guy/woman who played..." simply because you see the character. I saw a blurb from an article the other day, I want to say it was Kevin Spacey being interviewed, but he said the main reason he lived such a private and secluded life was that he didn't want people to see "him" when they watched one of his films, he wanted them to see the character.

Dobby. "Wheee! WHA-HOO!!! WHA-HEYYY!!" <jumping on bed> "Oh Mr. HARRY POTTER sir! Dobby is SO PLEASED to meet you sir! Dobby would SO LIKE to give you a foot massage sir! And maybe stalk you a little, sir!!"

Honestly. I don't CARE if it's in the book. Just snip the little creep out already.

Dobby: the Jar Jar of the Harry Potter series. :unsure

When Han shot first, to set him up as a nefarious character, only to have him redeemed later by being Jonny on the spot with the last minute save. SO predictable, and I'm so glad Lucas changed that in the special edition.

I bet they'd do the same thing with that Darth Vader guy too, if that movie ever went somewhere and they decided to do a series where he gets redeemed at the end. Lifting someone off the floor to choke them to death. Really. So cliche.

They did not sell to me that Loki was evil in Thor. The guy was right, Thor was a ******* and loki tried to learn him a lesson.
Odin did steal little baby loki from the ice giants, so he had it all coming for him. They lied and tricked him. I did not belive the "but i love you as my real son" crap oden told him. DUDE! You stole a baby during battle, and blackmailed the parents to stop the war. It don't make it right just because you started to have feeling for he kid later.
Oh and Thor was still a ******* at the end of the movie.

They did not sell to me that Loki was evil in Thor. The guy was right, Thor was a ******* and loki tried to learn him a lesson.
Odin did steal little baby loki from the ice giants, so he had it all coming for him. They lied and tricked him. I did not belive the "but i love you as my real son" crap oden told him. DUDE! You stole a baby during battle, and blackmailed the parents to stop the war. It don't make it right just because you started to have feeling for he kid later.
Oh and Thor was still a ******* at the end of the movie.

Say it isn't so. :cry I have know idea what you called Thor. :) I thought they did a good job on Thor. Thor was awesome. The weakest part of Thor to me was Jane Foster. And her friend I think her names Kat? Any way she was horrible in Defendor as well.

Last edited:
One of the most recent examples that come to mind, as StevenRogers brought up: Natalie Portman in Thor...I don't know if it was her delivery of the lines or the script itself, but i did not buy into her character at all.

Man, that film is just forgotten, ain't it?

When Han shot first, to set him up as a nefarious character, only to have him redeemed later by being Jonny on the spot with the last minute save. SO predictable, and I'm so glad Lucas changed that in the special edition.

I bet they'd do the same thing with that Darth Vader guy too, if that movie ever went somewhere and they decided to do a series where he gets redeemed at the end. Lifting someone off the floor to choke them to death. Really. So cliche.

You, sir, are naught but a troublemaker and a provocateur! :lol

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back