Thingiverse experience……

Delorean

I recently designed and printed a 3d copy of the breather from the movie “Thunderball” (James Bond Breather from Thunderball). As you can imagine this took quite some time and a lot of printing before I was satisfied with the end result.

As I am also a big BTTF fan I was very pleased to find many items on this forum which were given away for free to forum members (free replica paper props). I took advantage of this offer in the past and can assure you that these were for personal use only.

I was thinking of putting my 3d files on Thingiverse were one could grab these files for free or preferably a little donation towards the designer but only for personal use.

On the other hand I would hate to see that someone grabs these file and offers them on other sites for (a lot of) money.

My question to you is, has anyone experience with Thingiverse? Or what would your suggestions be on sharing my files?

Many thanks.

Its a tough call. Folks do actually grab files off Thingverse and start selling other peoples are work for money. Which is bad b/c many folks like you are willing to give it for free. A a little donation does not hurt b/c the end result is we hopefully see more creations from you. In the end the choice is yours. If you don't care about people making money of your hard work and creation pull the trigger. However, if you any reservations of any kind i suggest you simply keep the file and have peace of mind. There is always a chance your file will be passed onto others whose sole purpose is to make money. Good luck on your decision just sharing my thoughts. (y)

There is another thread on this website that we are currently discussing someone allegedly copying someone's design and asking the creator for his blessing, selling it on Etsy. Most persons who steal other people's work don't ask for their blessing, btw. I'm not sure if it makes it better, but perhaps the seller wanted some permission, so that his ad wouldn't get pulled based on a theft complaint.

I applaud you for wanting to post your model on Thingiverse. This way those who have 3D printers could share in your fandom. But realize that your work probably will get copied and sold. Even if you post it on a pay site like CGTrader you run the risk of someone buying your work and using it for profit. Mind you, not everyone has a 3D printer, so they would have to rely on others to print it for them. Those sellers could say, that they are charging for the printing and not the file.

So it's up to you to keep it or post it online for all to share. Do you want to make money off your work, or share your fandom?

TazMan2000

I recently designed and printed a 3d copy of the breather from the movie “Thunderball” (James Bond Breather from Thunderball). As you can imagine this took quite some time and a lot of printing before I was satisfied with the end result.

As I am also a big BTTF fan I was very pleased to find many items on this forum which were given away for free to forum members (free replica paper props). I took advantage of this offer in the past and can assure you that these were for personal use only.

I was thinking of putting my 3d files on Thingiverse were one could grab these files for free or preferably a little donation towards the designer but only for personal use.

On the other hand I would hate to see that someone grabs these file and offers them on other sites for (a lot of) money.

My question to you is, has anyone experience with Thingiverse? Or what would your suggestions be on sharing my files?

Many thanks.

Also, I started a thread here that is a repository for STL files. If you post here, everything you post should be a prop replica from a TV or Movie. (or similar) You need to post a picture or render of the item, and then attach the zipped file to your post. You should mark it as personal use only, not for profit.

<LINK> STL files section for Personal use only.

I share most of the files I make. I even allow people to sell prints. Can’t fight it so roll with it. I seriously doubt anyone is getting rich off my efforts but if they are it’s because they were prepared to put in the work printing, marketing and selling where I didn’t want to.

I’ve had more opportunities from being generous than I would have if I’d kept all my files hidden on a hard drive somewhere.

End of the day, if you worry about people selling prints then don’t put whatever it is on the internet.

It can be heart breaking seeing others take your work, and even worse seeing them make money off of it. But if you don't put it online, or if you don't sell it, no one else will see it any way, right? I guess it's a matter of what's more important; sharing the file with others and taking a risk, or making sure no one can steal your work but not having an online portfolio.

I'm not a pro 3D designer, nor do I really use 3D model download sites, but is it possible to put your credits into the file somehow? Even maybe the meta info?

Hey,

I've got a few prop files freely available on Thingiverse. Generally, as a whole, it's great to put your files out there if you have no immediate plans or want to monetise it. I've had plenty of people message me to thank me for the files, or tweet me pics of their finished props using my files. I've also had plenty of people ask questions, get advice etc...overall, it can be a real good thing.

The past couple of months though, I have - finally - had people steal my work and deny it, or ask if they could steal it. (I'm the other thread on here which TazMan mentioned) On one occasion, someone politely messaged me to thank me, as they were about to model the same thing, but now they found my file, they no longer had to, and wanted to ask if I would let them add my model to their own 3D portfolio to sell in their store...i declined, but just quietly assumed they would do what they wanted anyway, but I was ignorant to it, so what could I do..

Most recently (within the past week) someone took my files to sell 3D prints of on their Etsy store, after asking for my blessing, which I denied upon learning they had stolen my files. They claim (and still do) that they were "inspired" my my model - which I've proven beyond reasonable doubt is my file, right down to a visible seam, from where I split the files for printing...

Overall, sharing your files on Thingiverse is good for the community - especially those who don't have the time or knowledge to model props themselves. It can be super rewarding too, as mentioned above. You just have to assume that at some point, someone is going to take advantage of that, and use your files in a way which you don't intend. It can sting a little, but there isn't much you can do about it.

It might be worth using a site like MyMiniFactory aswell. I believe they allow you to sell models, so you could set it a small fee, which could help dissuade those who are looking to take advantage.

Thingiverse does have a tipping service, but I've not used it personally. I do have a Buymeacoffee link on my files though, incase anyone does feel the need.

Even though you have it on Thingiverse, you can also list it on places like Shapeways so folks who don't have a 3D printer can still order it, and you can get some cash. It would work well in their strong flexible nylon if you made the larger parts hollow, you might even be able to sell it as a single object since SLS 3D printing doesn't have the same overhang restrictions as FDM printing.

Been there.. done that.

It stinks..

Especially when they 'sell it' to un-suspecting users who didnt know it was available for FREE..

Even 'better' they try to claim it as their own.. and dont give any credit to the original designer/maker.. (spit)

I think its just something you need to 'accept' and understand it'll happen if you want to go forward with it.

Another point...Thingiverse is probably the most well known free 3d file repository. People with 3d printers will search there first for files. If they can't find what they need there, they will go to other sites. If people don't check there first for quality files and opt for Etsy, sorry to say, but they are foolish.
People without 3d printers will have to go to Shapeways, or to several other places, like Etsy.

TazMan2000

I share my free models under noncommercial share a like license.
Yes people will take the stls and sell the models on ebay etc. People let me know often when that happens and you can send take down notices through ebay or etsy. Mostly happens with small adapters and such not with props though. Very rarely someone sends a tip. I post recreation of props there as they are not my designs originally for all to enjoy.

Many thanks.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back