They are remaking "Total Recall"? Really?

I don't know what the reason for remaking that would be.

Same as I didn't think Halloween or The Hills Have Eyes should be remade.

But then again, I also didn't understand how there could be any additional Highlander movies or a television series when they clearly said, "There can be only one."

Ah, well. The logistics of Hollywood.

Well, in fairness, if they turn Total Recall into We Can Remember It For You Wholesale, it'd be a very different animal from the Arnold film. But I REALLY doubt they'll do that. Most likely, it'll just be a straight remake with modern filmmaking techniques like more jump cuts, more CGI, and a skinnier actor than Arnold.

No problem at all, it always felt more of a vehicle for Swartzenegger. As a fan of Verhoeven and Philip K Dick I don't see Total Recall as a worthy example of either creators work.

Total Recall is probably one of the few films I felt should have been made without Schwarzenegger in the lead.

One of the twists of WCRIFYW is that you are supposed to keep guessing whether everything is real or imagined.

The problem with Schwazenegger in Total Recall is that with his action star background we immediately accept that he is not an average joe, and is really a super spy- that the events happening to Quaid are real and not an out of control "Ego Trip".

The Dr. Edgemar (sp?) scene just didn't work to have us believing "this could be fake" or go either way, and even Verhoven states in the dvd commentary that it in fact was all just a dream. The fade to white at the end of the film was meant to represent Quaid being lobotomized on Earth at Rekall.

On the other hand if it was someone on the other end of the spectrum (like Mr. Bean) in the lead- we would instantly believe that everything IS a part of the imagined reality and couldn't possibly be real.

So this is one film that I look forward to being closer to the PKD story. I'm hoping for an everyday man in the lead role (and hope they go with "Quail", not "Quaid"). Preferably an unknown so I have no preconceived notions. :thumbsup

Kevin

Last edited:

Probably to rectify this....

total_recall_013.jpg

Side note:

The DVD version with both Schwarzenegger's and Verhoeven's commentary: BATTLE OF THE ACCENTS!!! :lol

But yeah, the whole point of PKD's story is you DON'T know where the dream ends and the reality begins. And yeah, the Arnold movie just comes across as largely a straight actioner. An entertaining one, of course, but not a mindbending journey.

It's exactly this reason, plus the fact that audiences will have a preconceived notion as to what the movie will entail (otherwise WHY REMAKE THE DAMN THING?!!!) that makes me think the remake will hew closer to the film rather than the short story.

It was well known at the time that they were in the process of planning Total Recall 2: The Minority Report. Quaid was going to be a "reformed cop" and the precogs were going to be Martian mutants.

Well just to say it out loud- I liked the first one too. I came out of the theater all pumped up on that "Schwazenegger kicks butt again" kinda high.

But I would like to see a different vision of this story.

Kevin

It's odd that they would remake an adaptation.. I, too, would rather see a more direct adaptation of WCRIFYW, instead of just the same thing again. Total Recall was great for what it was (over-the-top Verhoeven shoot-em-up, like Robocop), but not much else.

I wrote the Cinefex article (issue #42) on Total Recall and after reading many of the early drafts of the script-- I can totally see why they originally cast Richard Dreyfuss as the lead- before Arnold got involved. The premise was that the most dangerous agent in the world looked just like any average joe-that would have worked better for the "is it all a dream" premise as well- hence Dreyfuss in 1990.

I would like to see it remade--with that approach--perhaps with someone like Paul Giamatti in the lead.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back