Thermal Detonator

Wingsta96

Hello all,

I have purchased myself a Disney thermal detonator hot potato game as a substitute for the prop. Photo below for those that haven't seen it:
the039746LARGE-489x465.jpg

I bought it mainly because it only cost $35.00 and it's the correct size with working electronics. My questions is I had a thought to spray it like the Master Replica version but the "as first built" again because I think it looks nice and it would seem easier by comparison than doing a weathered version:
thermal5.jpg

The difficult bit being the chrome look on plastic. I read some articles on getting the Alclad 2 chrome and spraying it with my model gun as I read that will produce the best looking chrome effect I'm after but I wanted to ask any modelers or prop makers on this forum if they have tried Alclad 2? Or if anyone had a better suggestion for getting the chrome look as above?

If it comes out good I will get a display stand and a plaque done up as above for display :). Look forward to hearing some thoughts.

Should be a fun project but realize that the Disney TD is way way bigger than the original prop which was about 60mm in diameter, it is SMALL!

Thanks Mara for the info. I heard the Disney one was exactly 1:1 in size? Oh well for $35.00 ill try the Alclad out and see how it comes out :)

If you are looking to chrome your TD, I would highly recommend you checking out Gordon Tarpley's chroming tutorial. Its in 3 parts but this might be what you need to chrome your TD with Alclad. I used some of his techniques to fix my TD when I ran into some troubles.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are looking to chrome your TD, I would highly recommend you checking out Gordon Tarpley's chroming tutorial. Its in 3 parts but this might be what you need to chrome your TD with Alclad. I used some of his techniques to fix my TD when I ran into some troubles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSFp64VCKUo

Thanks heaps Katscan, I'm still waiting for the Thermal Detonator to arrive but will post some pics when completed :)

I have 3d Printed a few TD and they are a fun Build i have never been able to get that perfect polished look (came close once) but messed it up on the bottom so i just weathered it and it looked just fine. Good luck and have fun. If you ever want to do another one go to Shapeways.com and search SWTD and you can find one ( i think it is the best)

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back