Theoretical Robin in Nolan's Batman Universe

Luuke

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Would he be a kid, teenager or young adult? I would say a teenager at the very least.
Would he use full armor WITH a cowl to protect his noggin? I see him using a modified version of the Begins outfit with a modified cowl, not just a mask to cover his eyes.
Would Bruce take him under his wing willingly or unwillingly? Depending on the origin, possibly willingly but would be very tough on him.
Who could play the part? Haven't a clue.

Discuss...

My take on it would be that he some how gets discovered by BW. Bruce sees potential in his little protege and hooks him up with some techno gear. Robin then puts his own personal touch on his new toys and 'outfit'.

I would like to see Robins beginnings as some sort of early 20's street urchin. And his armor/costume somehow reflect this without being all ghetto-Krunkin. Some sort of military graffiti.

Anything is possible. Seems most likely he could start out as a misguided vigilante that Wayne comes across and when looking into the kid's past sees a similarity with himself, but also sees a darkness in the kid by how he deals with the criminals he face that if unchecked could eventually turn him into a very dangerous character that Batman will eventually have to hunt down in the future.

There's an edge there that can be explored that never seemed to really matter in other movies. Robin could both be an ally to Batman with the proper guidance or a danger if left to fend for himself in the harsh criminal circles.

I thought he could work in a role like the one they gave Barbara Gordon in the comics. He could sit at a computer and work remotely, looking things up and referencing things and communicating with Bruce via satellite. "Robin" would just be his handle on the air. Kid fighting alongside Bruce is just too hard to swallow in Nolan's films.

Too much garlic I really like that idea for an origins story.(y)thumbsup:thumbsup
It was mentioned sorta like that in the extra features on the '89 Batman DVD, so not really mine. I just haven't ever seen it portrayed like that in the comics I've read or the films I've seen.

I thought he could work in a role like the one they gave Barbara Gordon in the comics. He could sit at a computer and work remotely, looking things up and referencing things and communicating with Bruce via satellite. "Robin" would just be his handle on the air. Kid fighting alongside Bruce is just too hard to swallow in Nolan's films.
I think this could be the best use of a Robin character in these films. The eyes and ears behind the scene.

You guys seem to be describing the Jason Todd Robin- late 80s. Batman discovers him trying to steal the wheels off the Batmobile.

He was cocky, insurbordinate, reckless etc. Readers couldn't stand him as a replacement for Dick Grayson. He was killed off in the "A Death in the Family" 4 part comic. Readers had the option to allow Jason to live or die by calling a 900 number with a 50 cent charge. They voted for him to die.

Joker beat him nearly to death with a crowbar and then left him in a warehouse with a timebomb.

Personally I don't think you could really have a sidekick Robin character in the Nolanverse. The computer hacker kid is the most plausible though.

Kevin

Last edited:
First of all, Robin is from Robin Hood, not the birdie. The guy who invented Robin said so. He came out of the Errol Flynn Robin Hood movie and thought of the character. So get it back there.

Somehow it has been changed to the bird, which is strange. I mean, he's got Robin Hood shoes, Robin Hood tights, Robin Hood vest, Robin Hood colors, and his name is Robin! Duh!

So have them watch the movie and base it on that.

As long as it's not a yippeee-screaming obnoxious kid, I could see Bats needing some kind of backup, watch his back and pull him out if he is incapacitated. But Robin would get too involved and join the fight, so that Bats reluctantly starts to train him properly.

"Would he be a kid"
"Would he use full armor"
"I see him using a modified version"
"Would Bruce take him under his wing"
"would be very tough on him."

Discuss...

Ok. If I was going to include Robin in the Nolan universe, it would be a she, not a he. Preferably Stephanie. Carrie Kelly would be cool. She's got that Daria look I just can't resist.

Huge surprise there. Nolan has already stated that he would not add Robin. I always thought of the Terry McGinis character from Batman Beyond as mo of the Robin type character.

I would be shocked if we do not see some take on Robin in a rebooted Batman film.

Robin always fit in with the other 1930's and 1940's sidekicks like Red Ryder and Little Beaver etc. However, I think modern audiences have been tainted and look at such things less innocently. I believe modern audiences would find there to be a very creepy, Jerry Sandusky-like element to a single wealthy man taking in a poor orphan to live with him as his "ward"...in real life, this would raise a lot of eyebrows--especially if he asked the "ward" to wear only a shirt, cape, mask, and green underwear and "role play" crime fighters...

I seem to remember a certain real world single, secretive, wealthy man who liked to bring underprivileged youths to his home and did not escape public scrutiny....in the uber-realistic Nolan-verse, I would expect the same thing to happen to Bruce Wayne if he tried to have a "ward".

Last edited:
You guys seem to be describing the Jason Todd Robin- late 80s. Batman discovers him trying to steal the wheels off the Batmobile.

He was cocky, insurbordinate, reckless etc. Readers couldn't stand him as a replacement for Dick Grayson. He was killed off in the "A Death in the Family" 4 part comic. Readers had the option to allow Jason to live or die by calling a 900 number with a 50 cent charge. They voted for him to die.

Joker beat him nearly to death with a crowbar and then left him in a warehouse with a timebomb.

Personally I don't think you could really have a sidekick Robin character in the Nolanverse. The computer hacker kid is the most plausible though.

Kevin

Then he came back as a psychopathic vigilante who was more interesting than Batman in the comics for a while :lol

SHE'S actually my favorite Robin.

dark-knight-returns.jpg

I'm actually extremely thankful that Nolan has sworn Robin off in these films. While I don't mind the idea of an apprentice at some point as Bruce Wayne ages I've NEVER liked the idea of Robin. A kid...in that ridiculous looking costume. I know I'll probably get raked over the coals for saying that but I've always hated the character and the costume. But that's just me.

Robin always fit in with the other 1930's and 1940's sidekicks like Red Ryder and Little Beaver etc. However, I think modern audiences have been tainted and look at such things less innocently. I believe modern audiences would find there to be a very creepy, Jerry Sandusky-like element to a single wealthy man taking in a poor orphan to live with him as his "ward"...in real life, this would raise a lot of eyebrows--especially if he asked the "ward" to wear only a shirt, cape, mask, and green whitie tightie's and "role play" crime fighters...

I think it would be neat (and more "modern audience" appropriate) to just skip the Robin stuff and go straight to Nightwing. Now I don't read the comics or anything, so I'm far from being knowledgeable on these sorts of things, but Nightwing seems to be a little more suitable for the Nolan movies. Less of a side kick, more of just another hero on the same beat.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back