Theoretical Robin in Nolan's Batman Universe

Iv'e been reading an article in which Nolan keeps on hinting that Batman as met his equal in Bane,

Quote If I had to express it thematically, I think what we’re saying is that for Batman and Commissioner Gordon, there’s a big sacrifice, a big compromise, at the end of the The Dark Knight and for that to mean something, that sacrifice has to work and Gotham has to get better in a sense. They have to achieve something for the ending of that film — and the feeling at the end of that film — to have validity. Their sacrifice has to have meaning and it takes time to establish that and to show that, and that’s the primary reason we did that.”

i honestly see a comparison to the new Movie to that of Batman Knightfall in which Bane paralyse's Batman who in turn has to train a new Batman ............. so there is definately room for a Robin type character if indeed we are to witness an end to Nolan's Batman, also couple this with the fact the timeline of the Dark Knight Rises happens 8 years after the last movie so the Robin type character in theory could already be in the new movie

i think the new movie is going to be remembered for a long time to come, for all the right reason's

I personally stayed far away from Bats as a kid until I saw him alone and with no "side kick" but like others I like the female Robin skit,it fits.

But if you want a real Robin read on,I have an idea.....

As you know the big difference in the Nolan Batman is it's not just Alfred but Mr.Fox and even Algoul (or however it's spelled,I'm lazy tonight) who know so let's say Bruce has a run in with a young,about twenty-twenty three,bounty hunter with a bit of a wild streak but perfectly legal and his name is Richard Grayson.

So Bruce goes "hmmm~I could use a hand out there" so he goes as Batman and tells the kid he can open a whole new world to him if he wants he just has to go through a little training and see if he's trustworthy to team up with him that's when the kid lets Bats know he's not alone and he gets a lot of help from his "partner" and girlfriend-whose nickname is Robin but if Mr.Superhero can trust two people maybe they could all be pals and make a dent in the criminal underworld.

So he trains,Robin is the brains at the computer at the batcave and the guy gets a snazzy suit to wear with some kind of headgear,maybe a helmet.

As to the name....lets say Bats is overheard shouting "Robin" but they don't know he's talking to a girl back at the batcave so the people think "that's the guys name who's with him" And Gorden ask about it,would go something like this:

G:you're name is Robin? what? like Robin Hood?
R:MY NAME AIN'T ROBIN DAMMIT!
G:So...what is it? what do I call you?
R:.........call me Nightwing.

I think it could work,maybe.

I personally stayed far away from Bats as a kid until I saw him alone and with no "side kick" but like others I like the female Robin skit,it fits.

But if you want a real Robin read on,I have an idea.....

As you know the big difference in the Nolan Batman is it's not just Alfred but Mr.Fox and even Algoul (or however it's spelled,I'm lazy tonight) who know so let's say Bruce has a run in with a young,about twenty-twenty three,bounty hunter with a bit of a wild streak but perfectly legal and his name is Richard Grayson.

So Bruce goes "hmmm~I could use a hand out there" so he goes as Batman and tells the kid he can open a whole new world to him if he wants he just has to go through a little training and see if he's trustworthy to team up with him that's when the kid lets Bats know he's not alone and he gets a lot of help from his "partner" and girlfriend-whose nickname is Robin but if Mr.Superhero can trust two people maybe they could all be pals and make a dent in the criminal underworld.

So he trains,Robin is the brains at the computer at the batcave and the guy gets a snazzy suit to wear with some kind of headgear,maybe a helmet.

As to the name....lets say Bats is overheard shouting "Robin" but they don't know he's talking to a girl back at the batcave so the people think "that's the guys name who's with him" And Gorden ask about it,would go something like this:

G:you're name is Robin? what? like Robin Hood?
R:MY NAME AIN'T ROBIN DAMMIT!
G:So...what is it? what do I call you?
R:.........call me Nightwing.

I think it could work,maybe.

All i will say to that is, im glad your not the director or writer of this movie :) :thumbsup

Kevin....I can FEEEEEL your angerrrrr!!! :lol

I've never had a problem with Bruce gaining a sidekick at some point I just wish they had worked up a realistic sidekick from the start. I mean, a kid dressed as Peter Pan??? If Batman's suit is black to look intimidating and to blend in with the night what sense does it make to drag along a kid dressed in a costume that would make any criminal fall down in hysterical laughter and also so brightly colored that it stands out like a sort thumb??? And bare legged??? And it doesn't even matter how you attempt to "man it up" by giving him long pants or sleeves or darkening the red on the vest...it still looks ridiculous. But I know I seem to be in the minority so...have at me, I can take thy barbs. :cool

The whole Robin schtick was dreamed up by some moron executives who believed kids would identify with a kid fighting with Bats. Jeez... when I was a kid, I wanted to be THE MAN. Not part of the entourage.

Miller's Robin *IS* by far the best. She's tough as nails yet somehow let's Bruce show a nurturing father-type side without it getting all creepy. I can't imagine Bruce holding a tearful Dick Grayson in his arms and consoling him in his gruff and limited way: "Good soldier." *pat pat pat* " Good soldier."

She has a good back story too. She's a gymnast and poor white trash and a wild child. Batman rescues her from some goons and she has the Hero Worship/Father Figure/Excitement thing going.
She's not avenging anyone, but looking for a more interesting life.

My idea on Robin: I think that he should start off actually be the opposite of what Bruce is, even though they bought fight for the same cause. Though Bruce primarily fights for Gotham as a whole, Dick Grayson (or Jason Todd if you want to use him) fights for his borough when Bruce comes across him. Since we know that Bruce Wayne is a man that grew up with money, Dick/Jason (when we see him) should be someone who should be of limited means when he starts (he doesn't have a fancy costume or armor like Bruce does, just a pair of blue jeans, a leather jacket and a red motorcycle helmet). Bruce Wayne grew up outside the city in a mansion, Dick/Jason should grow up in the streets and is more of a hardcore street brawler who is good at utilizing his environment as a tactical advantage (meaning that for Bruce, when he looks around, he doesn't see much for stuff that could be used for fighting, while Dick/Jason can look at the same area and see what could be used as a weapon or a tactical advantage). At first, Dick/Jason and Bruce can't get along due to the fact that they're practically opposites of the same coin, that coin being that both are fighters for what they believe in, which happens to be for a greater good. And it is through joining forces to defeat a common enemy that leads to their partnership and Dick/Jason eventually becoming Robin.

There was a short lived debate within the WB on if Gordon's Son would act as a sort of "Robin" - not so much putting on a costume and running side by side with Batman but helping the Dark Knight clear his name in the upcoming Dark Knight Rises. This whole notion was being tossed around before Nolan committed on finishing out the trilogy. I you notice, at the end of The Dark Knight after Batman makes the decision to be hunted for Harvey Dent's crimes - Gordon's Son calls after Batman and repeatedly makes the point that it isn't fair - this was to lead to him in trying to help. When Nolan signed on proper all of that went out the window -- I think.

I'm actually extremely thankful that Nolan has sworn Robin off in these films. While I don't mind the idea of an apprentice at some point as Bruce Wayne ages I've NEVER liked the idea of Robin. A kid...in that ridiculous looking costume. I know I'll probably get raked over the coals for saying that but I've always hated the character and the costume. But that's just me.

Not to knock Robin fans but when I read that, I just gotta say I agree. The character of Batman as I've always seen him as a dark, brooding, loner-type would never fit with the "let's dress a kid up in bright colors and put him in dangerous situations" type - regardless of the circumstances.

In that scenario IMHO, Robin wouldn't be a protege - he'd be bait.

Maybe there's a way to make it work in other versions of the Batman universe where Batman is a kinder, gentler soul (which strikes me as not the version of Batman that I think "works" best) but I don't see it ever working well in Nolan's.

I'm actually extremely thankful that Nolan has sworn Robin off in these films. While I don't mind the idea of an apprentice at some point as Bruce Wayne ages I've NEVER liked the idea of Robin. A kid...in that ridiculous looking costume. I know I'll probably get raked over the coals for saying that but I've always hated the character and the costume. But that's just me.

Feel the same. If they were to force it into a film, I would want him to get killed off in that same film.

If the character of Robin were to work in a more "realistic" and "grittier" Batman-world like Nolan's, I would only buy it if it were at the end of Batman's career.

Batman just does not need a partner in his prime. It is a liability and would not serve any purpose. But an injured Batman, or one who is planning to retire, might be persuaded to train a protégé and a later replacement - and even in that case, Robin would be more of a Nightwing, not a 12 year old boy.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back