The ZENY Airbrush/25psi max compressor.

jamstraz

I used a Vallejo black primer bottle (not airbrush specific but acrylic nonetheless). It took about 2-3 minutes to get a good stream going and even then it was spotty until I ran the next batch through. I had to clean the nozzle twice.

Theory 1: my airbrush/compressor sucks.
Theory 2: The primer despite being Vallejo wasn't airbrush specific
Theory 3: I don't know how to work my brush correctly.

Let's work backwards:

Theory 3 isn't highly probable because a) I've watched videos ad nauseum on dual action airbrushes. b) I was able to get it going and got a nice primer layer on the junk piece I had.

Theory 2 is slightly more probably but odds are low since Vallejo is renowned for their paints and I don't see any that were airbrush primers. I used a thinner on batch one and it flowed horribly when it finally started

Theory 1 is probably the most likely since my max PSI is 25 and its a ZENY, which as far as I can tell isn't exactly well known. But I can't invest any more in this except paints. My wife countered I've spent more on this hobby than she probably did on her beanie babies in the attic...yeah but this hobby is AWESOME :p

25 psi should be plenty. mess with it until it works. it's probably still a bit clogged...
just keep messing with it.

if you had more than 25 psi, you would then start a whole new thread titled, "why does my paint go on chalky and textured ?".

take the brush apart and give it a thorough cleaning (meaning back to almost brand new condition).
use laquer thinner to clean it.

Last edited:
spotty paint is possibly caused by lack of paint flow, either blockage or paint viscosity. i increase my paint flow by bringing the needle back a bit from the tip a fraction (less than 1mm) for big jobs, as the handle can't move it back far enough for high flow jobs.

If your thinner is for the paint you are fine there.

Tell your wife, this hobby keeps me off the streets at least! ;)

is it acrylic thinner by and for your brand of paint by any chance?
i'm just asking general obvious type questions because i don't use acrylics. i use old school smelly industrial waste stuff. it doesn't dry too fast and clog my airbrush....

and this is just me, but i use rattle cans for priming....

i noticed your specific primer is an acrylic POLYURETHANE. interesting....

Last edited:
I will admit I bought it because it said it was Vallejo primer and said acrylic...which I thought was what the airbrush paints are But the thinner is not made by them. I don't recall the brand but it's from the HL before they got shut down. So probably my fault since their own website states "Surface Primer can be used directly or diluted with Vallejo Airbrush Thinner of Flow Improver. " This makes Theory 2 more likely than 3 and 1.

Of course at this point I'm back to dead in the water. I need rubbing alcohol to clean the model...drove to 5 stores and struck out. All gone because people are making home made hand sanitizer.

You can clean the airbrush with acetone or lacquer thinner, even glass cleaner may work.

Acrylic paints are great but one of their faults is they dry almost too fast, and clog the airbrush. The best way to solve that is the thinner with "flow enhancer", it slows the dry time. A retarder for acrylic art paints will also work. In any case keep cotton swabs handy to clean the airbrush tip periodically, just dip it in thinner or alcohol and wipe the tip every couple of minutes.

and I found some rubbing alcohol in my basement, don't recall WHY I had it down there but...even after cleaning the model I still had little hairs and things show up on the primer. Guess I shouldn't have used the cotton circles. Again, I will probably sand most of this off with 1200 grit wet sandpaper. (NOTE TO SELF: LOOK UP HOW TO WET SAND.)

I know it‘s painful but think of all this as a learning experience. It will make you a better modeler in the long run.
I stripped it down as much as I could. Some black remains. I think I'm going to hold on priming again....I def did something wrong. I'm BEYOND glad I had rubbing alcohol

So...whenever Griffon's Lair reopens after this COVID-19 thing is under control, I'm sure they have the flow improver stuff as I know they carry Vallejo paints after emailing the owner.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back