The Y-Wing "Green Leader" Project - NOW OPEN SOURCE!

So here's an issue that got me scratching my head... I've always assumed the engine T struts on the original models were EMA 1/4" ABS Tees (EMA, Engineering Model Associates, and Plastruct were the same company). But the more I look at this photo, the more I think not.

TEE CLOSE UP.jpg

The Tee is definitely wider than it is tall. If it's 1/4" wide then it's maybe 3/16" tall. On top of that, the flange thickness on both the 1/4" and 3/16" EMA Tees is .060" and this looks thinner, around .050". I've modeled the Tee four ways, EMA 1/4 Tee (too tall and too thick), EMA 3/16 Tee (too small and too thick), EMA 1/4 Tee with the leg trimmed down to 3/16" (right size but too thick) and a 1/4 x 3/16 Tee with .050" flanges (just right!). But the last option doesn't coincide with any known off the shelf components.

Tee Sections.jpg Tee Comparison.jpg

Any opinions?

Last edited:
It is certainly possible that it was brass T, although I don't know of any companies making that sort of stock back then. Special Shapes didn't make Tees that big and K&S didn't make Tees at all. And now that I look at this photo of the original model in Propstore's collection (Gold 2?), the Tees look like they are the 1/4 x 1/4 ABS. I guess it shouldn't be a surprise that this detail was different from model to model too! I'll probably go with the ABS on mine.

View attachment 606469

This photo of Dave Beasley shows it was not standard plastic tee.

Craig

Yes! I'd forgotten about that photo. Obviously not the grey ABS. and if you look closely at the shroud end it looks like the flat part of the Tee may run curved along the side of the shroud making for a much stronger connection. There is evidence of this in other photos. Here's what I'm talking about

The model Dave is working on looks like the original pattern, maybe considered the 'Hero' model? The Alan Ladd Y Wing is definitely a casting.
It's funny how you can also see the stubby Egg cones on the front of the engines, probably the cut offs from the shrouds, later replaced with bigger pieces.

All the known Y have a fuselage/wings castings. I also have to see an Y other than Red Jammer that does not have resin nacelles.

The Tees dont follow the LEggs all the way but by about 1/8"

I remember buying some brass T section in London at the 4D shop. They were in milimeters.
Here some Ebay UK I've just found if it helps.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/T-beam-pr...hash=item25b801d5d7:m:mnEhzFGlZ5kvzLJe9kKdVrw

M

It is certainly possible that it was brass T, although I don't know of any companies making that sort of stock back then. Special Shapes didn't make Tees that big and K&S didn't make Tees at all. And now that I look at this photo of the original model in Propstore's collection (Gold 2?), the Tees look like they are the 1/4 x 1/4 ABS. I guess it shouldn't be a surprise that this detail was different from model to model too! I'll probably go with the ABS on mine.

http://i1053.photobucket.com/albums/s480/GoldbergArts/Y-Wing Build/Gold 2 Shroud_zpslk61lr5a.jpg

Brass seems the best option for a stiff structure; can also get "T" beams by trimming the tops off "H" section beam stock... onerous, but doable.

R/ Robert

Hey, that's an idea. I have need of some good options for my 1/48 Y-Wing build and some steel track might just do the trick... if the size is right of course.

On a related note, considering the model's transportation needs, I figure on a brace of perhaps sheet acrylic with notches cut to accommodate the rails, made to fit in-between the rails & bridge between the two engines. Insert horizontally then rotate to vertical to 'lock it in'.

R/ Robert

For 1/48 scale you can just go with milled brass Tee from SpecialShapes.com. The make a 1/8 Tee. $13 for 3 feet. Really nice stuff.

Price and payment info for the armature parts run is now posted in the Project Runs section. If you're signed up, payments are dues by April 1st to reserve your set.

Last edited:
These parts print really well! :thumbsup

This is the first sizeable part I've ever been able to get done in ABS - had endless problems with warping and adhesion and hot end jamming, so I've gone for PLA for everything - obviously no good for the mounting parts for this project, so this was some incentive to sort my M2 out at last. It worked! I'll slow print speed next time and go for 'grid' support as the one small imperfection arose from weak support material. But other than that, pretty close to perfect. Thanks again for this amazing project!

Attachments

• 20160326_144144.jpg
    20160326_144144.jpg
    675.6 KB · Views: 328
  • 20160326_144107.jpg
    20160326_144107.jpg
    930.9 KB · Views: 325
Didn't want to ask this but would there be anyone that could print me the parts. No idea on costs but im having trouble just downloading the files etc and not sure where I would even get them printed in Toowoomba anyway.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back