The Umbrella Academy

rocketeer25

Sr Member
Anyone watching this on Netflix? I've not familiar with the source material, so I'm just along for the ride. So far the characters are all getting fleshed out so that is a good thing. I'm through 3 episodes and we just got our first taste of action, so I was hoping for a bit more. I'll keep watching to see where this goes...

I read through the series and just finished the first episode. It’s pretty close. It’s wild to see characters come alive!

Wow.

Until I read this thread "The Umbrella Academy" was a total unknown but I'm really impressed by it. Thanks for the thread.

It is slightly odd seeing Elaine Page in what is essentially a darker, more eccentric version of the X men with a dash of "Kick Asss" thrown in , but she is such a great actress and its an impressively strong cast overall that you soon get passed it , and they play a wide range of strange and interesting characters with some very odd powers.

Plus it is so well done, often beautifully and inventively directed and shot, and the effects are top notch again, with a great soundtrack!!!

I really appreciate the writing though , its very well done, with some clever, occasionally witty and entertainingly normal character dialogue (even down to the chimp!!) , whilst the story manages to hold back just enough of the plot each episode to keep you constantly interested. Like the Stepford mom particularly!!

Five episodes in!!!

Its easily better and more stylish than the Marvel TV shows (with perhaps the exception of Daredevil) , it really does have some brilliant action scenes, particularly with the two oddball assassins.

Episode five had touches of genius . The ice cream truck ringtone theme !!!

Last edited:
I told myself I was going to ration the episodes out. Ya, I binged watched all of them...

I never cared for Klaus much in the comics but he is by far my favorite. His little comments had me cracking up. I had never heard of Robert Sheehan but he has done a fantastic job with the character.

I can relate to a few characters and their struggles which is why I enjoy the series. So I really hope that it gets a second season. I can see how weird people may think it is having not knowing anything about the comics. (The comics are even more strange).

From the prop side, I’m thinkinng about making Diego’s chest rig since I started working with leather recently.

I really enjoyed the Netflix series. Was wondering and a little worried about how they were going to adapt the comics, but they did a great job. I also never really liked Klaus in the comics, but he was definitely a highlight in the series.

Just finished watching the first 4 episodes. I was confused, but it was so compelling that it kept me interested. Very interesting series so far.

Just finished it!!!

OK. If you can get over the fact they steal from everywhere and particularly one very well known comic storyline thats decades old , it STILL is one of the best "superhero" series I've ever seen and the time travel elements add such a great deal more to the overall arc.

BUT kudos must go to the direction and the scripting of the episodes, which were really ,really cleverly inventive and yet also managed to be emotionally engaging.

Why?
Because they get the character arcs so spot on.

The cast were almost universally outstanding in this, from the two hitpersons, Pogo, Mom, and especially the Numbers. I totally agree Klaus was the shining light of them all, the actor was very good in "Misfits" ,which this series reminded me of alot, but he was truely brilliant in this.

I got to say it left all the Marvel TV series asleep in their beds, though I also note they've cancelled "Jessica Jones" and "The Punisher" today

Ellen Paige appears to be sleepwalking. And why did they go out of their way to make her look as dumpy as possible? She's depressing to look at. For the "star" of the show she's the least interesting character.

We just finished Ep. 3 last night. I'm enjoying it. It's fun so far. Good cast, interesting characters, and enough of a mystery to keep me interested.

Did you watch the whole season? I saw it as a visual cue that she was (as she thought and we are lead to believe) average, a nobody. Even the way she spoke with no emotion initially.

That's a fair point. I'm only up to the third episode.

I don't want to spoil anything for people, but her screaming really annoyed me. Like a lot. LOL.

Great freaking season though. I can't wait for the next. When my wife put it on, I was really skeptical because just the initial image on Netflix just looked stupid.

Great ending to the season. Come on people, binge the show so we don't have to worry about spoiling anything.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back