The Topknot Build. New photos of torso life cast build. 05/07/2015

I'm bummed to see this went south on you, but I know you'll get it fixed and it'll turn out even better. Looking forward to the updates!

Jeff, WHEN this bad boy is done, how many times are you going to wear it? My friend Bobby spent 10 years and $$$$$ making a full size running Batmobile so it could sit in his garage turned theater room and people could drool over it when they came by. One day we were sitting there discussing it and I said to him-- "Bobby, you know what you did here, what are you gonna do with it now? You should just sell it." He thought about it for like 30 seconds and said that , yep, it wasnt doing him any good just sitting there. Well, long story short, he made enough to move to Florida and buy a house. I guess the moral of the story is here, we spend numerous amounts of time , effort, money to create these pieces , only to do what with them-- Have them sit on display in our man caves, or possibly wear them every now and then. I so much applaud the talent and dedication that goes into everything that we do, especially when it is the level that Jeff is doing here-- Completely off the scale Jeff, Congrats. You Rock!!
But at the end of the day, we have a bunch of latex, silicone, plastic, resin, electronics that we shaped into something awesome to do what with? Sit on our man cave so everyone can look at them? Wear them in the Halloween parade?
I know there are those who use their suits a lot, but for what-- go to a con so everyone can stand next to us, pull our dreads, stop us after we have walked 2 feet, pull on our suits so they can get a selfie, keep us with their friends to take a pic when we are sweating our butts off, have to piss and want to just sit down and get outta the thing? Sometimes I wonder if its worth it.

Guess Im just looking for something more out of things. Keep on doing what you do everyone-- Be proud of what you accomplish . But expand your horizons-- Dont get stuck in a rut if you create something that sells, dont stop there-- go on to bigger and better things.

Again, Jeff, this is one awesome build my friend. Great work.

Jeff, WHEN this bad boy is done, how many times are you going to wear it? My friend Bobby spent 10 years and $$$$$ making a full size running Batmobile so it could sit in his garage turned theater room and people could drool over it when they came by. One day we were sitting there discussing it and I said to him-- "Bobby, you know what you did here, what are you gonna do with it now? You should just sell it." He thought about it for like 30 seconds and said that , yep, it wasnt doing him any good just sitting there. Well, long story short, he made enough to move to Florida and buy a house. I guess the moral of the story is here, we spend numerous amounts of time , effort, money to create these pieces , only to do what with them-- Have them sit on display in our man caves, or possibly wear them every now and then. I so much applaud the talent and dedication that goes into everything that we do, especially when it is the level that Jeff is doing here-- Completely off the scale Jeff, Congrats. You Rock!!
But at the end of the day, we have a bunch of latex, silicone, plastic, resin, electronics that we shaped into something awesome to do what with? Sit on our man cave so everyone can look at them? Wear them in the Halloween parade?
I know there are those who use their suits a lot, but for what-- go to a con so everyone can stand next to us, pull our dreads, stop us after we have walked 2 feet, pull on our suits so they can get a selfie, keep us with their friends to take a pic when we are sweating our butts off, have to piss and want to just sit down and get outta the thing? Sometimes I wonder if its worth it.

Guess Im just looking for something more out of things. Keep on doing what you do everyone-- Be proud of what you accomplish . But expand your horizons-- Dont get stuck in a rut if you create something that sells, dont stop there-- go on to bigger and better things.

Again, Jeff, this is one awesome build my friend. Great work.

That's precisley the reason I stopped buying model kits, DVD's and lots of other useless things. I got sick of things that just sat on the shelf. You can only look at them or watch them so much, eventually they're just stealing usable space. I got into this hobby because I had a long standing love of special effects, since the age of 15 I always wanted to make a pred head, after 25 years I've finally just finished my P1 head (photos coming soon).

I got into this to experience the whole process of sculpting, moulding, casting and painting. I don't do it for money but I probably wouldn't do it if I didn't feel I could sell a few peices and get all my money back, it's so expensive. When your young it's exciting creating this stuff, lost in your own sci-fi world, but when you get older you question, "why am I doing this"???

It's also the reason why I devote myself professionally to work in sound for film because I know something will be done with my work, it will go out to film festivals and be seen (or heard) and be appreciated - The point is I'm not just doing it for myself.

Last edited:
Hey everyone I have not quit. I did get the new plug made. I need to down load a couple of photos. In the mean time I decided to set that project down and regroup a bit so I decided to get at finishing my torso lifecast. Here it is. My wife helped me and it worked out well although it was sort of hilarious, at least my wife thought so.
Here I am with the plaster bandages on. I did the arms separate from the torso.
003_zpszdugztng.jpg

004_zpsaczvlpza.jpg

That "bonnet" is my bald cap. I didn't have one laying around and the beauty supply place was close and this is all they had. It's ok you can laugh. I decided to include my head for placement issues later.
006_zpsstrog5hm.jpg

Once I had the cast off I layed in 1/8 inch of clay. I happened to see a Steve Wang video on suits where he mentioned shaving down lifecast so the suit would fit tighter. I figured he knew what he was talking about.
008_zpswbd79jmr.jpg

009_zpswg8jhcyr.jpg

012_zpshvkek4tk.jpg

015_zpsi0b5jddr.jpg

014_zps1pt0wclk.jpg

I had these materials laying around so I put them to good use. This is the inside structure to hold the arms and give the neck some strength.
017_zpsw56v5ya6.jpg

019_zps1zyagfdb.jpg

021_zpsnfyj80a6.jpg

These are after I poured in the rigid expanding foam and peeled off the plaster and clay.
See the shim on the bottom. I fixed that later. (the last photo)
022_zpspiupfgff.jpg

024_zpssdvqx3ke.jpg

After a good cleaning.
025_zpsdxivosck.jpg

026_zpsjtkdzqdp.jpg

027_zps7qz2w4zi.jpg

028_zpskheb67it.jpg

029_zpswzqdq5np.jpg

This is the structure for the arm.
030_zpsunyvpsvk.jpg

032_zpsiauyrc2r.jpg

This will only let me post 20 photos at a time so I will get the rest up later.

Here is part 2. Laying up the clay in the arm.
034_zpsumqpcadx.jpg

036_zpsqotkvue6.jpg

Peeling off the plaster and clay.
038_zpsjea0mrx5.jpg

The finished arm.
041_zpsjuiu8hqh.jpg

044_zps1q6h9klu.jpg

Of course the other arm.
046_zpsjgkfctlh.jpg

The pour.
050_zpszoz0agqw.jpg

054_zpsbqhhgjpb.jpg

These next few photos are the mechanism I designed to hold the arms in place. They fit nice and snug but I figured when they start getting clay on them they could be under some tension. It's probably overkill but here it is.
058_zpsoustgo7w.jpg

055_zpsphvjxcwg.jpg

056_zpsrfxnd94g.jpg

And finally the 2 coats of Epoxacoat to give it a nice shell.
063_zpsas3damt1.jpg

062_zpsks1o9x3a.jpg

061_zps0sfcxvja.jpg

060_zpsczq4xznd.jpg

I almost forgot, I mentioned this in the previous post. I did not get the torso pour plum on the base so I eventually cut it off and shimmed it to a new base. I knew later when I was sculpting in symmetry the off angle would screw me up.
002_zps1d9zk2rj.jpg

That is all for now. See I told you I haven't just been sitting around.

This has been such an awesome thread to read, and then re-read a bunch of times. I really can't wait to see what you come up with for the torso design.

-Chris

Jeff, always good to come back every now and again to find that you are still "plugging away" no pun intended. It is always a pleasure to see your creative and mechanical aptitudes fully functional. You are extremely talented and this is one awesome build.

Steve

Hey thanks all. I have set the pred down for a bit. I am working on something else for a while and I don't really know where to post the pics. I don't think we have an off topic section anymore.

Hey there is an "Off Topic" section. Incase anyone wants to know I am working on Grommash Hellscream. I ran across a build Steve Wang showed on his Facebook and decided I needed to do a costume of it. It was very inspirational. I will post some pics soon on Off Topics. I haven't given up on Topknot just setting him to the side for now.

Heck - YA !!!!!! We want to know. Been waiting on some updates or new pics with more excitement than the new Predstor movie.

Have there been any updates on gromash or the pred? I would love to see either!
Couldn't find anything about gromash in the off topic section either.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back