The STAR WARS Model Newbie Thread!

Gregatron

Master Member
As those who have followed my builds will know, my first modeling love is STAR TREK.

However, I still have a deep love for STAR WARS, and all of the great models that ILM produced. I had a few MCP kits when I was a kid, but never really completed any.

For the past ten or so years, I've had two 1/72 X-Wings and two TIEs sitting in a box, unbuilt (except for one of the X-Wings, which I started on, but never completed). Recently, I was bitten by the SW bug again, and snagged another X-Wing, a Y-Wing, and the Falcon.

I must say, however, that, unlike with TREK, finding sources that collated data regarding kit inaccuracies and difference between various models has been difficult! Unlike with TREK, I don't know all the ins and outs and terminology of SW models.

I'm gonna work slowly, and I don't know how this will all go.

Right now, I plan on building 1/72 models of the four hero X-Wings (Red 1,2,3, and 5), maybe two hero Y-Wings, ANH and/or ESB TIEs, and the Falcon (as accurized as possible, including the infamous mandible issue).

I suppose I'll start with the X-Wings, specifically, with Red Leader. Might as well go in order, y'know?

First up: Can anyone provide some basic info on the specific differences between the X-Wing models (panel chips arrangement, panel lines, unique "tells" etc.?) How accurate is the FM 1/72 kit? Does it favor a specific ILM model, or is it a representation of a "generic" X-Wing? What alterations need to be made to represent specific hero models?

I'm already anticipating the release of Model-Forces' accurizing parts, so that's a start.

Kurt Kuhn has some nice, hi-res refs for some of the birds:

Gallery Index

Here's Red 1:

Red 1

The first two shots are pretty good, if a little over-exposed (I think).

Attached is one additional nice shot I found somewhere and tidied-up.

Here is the "One Stop Shopping" X-Wing index thread:

http://www.therpf.com/f10/one-stop-x-wing-thread-124738/

Inside it are some links to other various reference threads.

If you can't find good refs for a particular bird, ask around. I think there are some 'secret' photos out there.

I'm just like you: getting back into serious modeling after being away for a few years. Have lots of unbuilt kits cluttering up my garage. I just finished Fine Molds' 1/48 X-Wing, and I'm in the middle of another right now.

Good luck!

-Mike J.

Im beginning my Han Solo Blaster soon, the infamous "Greedo Killer". Its going to be hard-ish, but i really want to just get it done and over with.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back