The Star-Lord/Peter Quill Sling Bag thread

First and foremost, its not duck canvas. It's actually a linen canvas with a slightly different weave. I found the correct fabric in LA a while back, just enough to do maybe 3 or 4 bags. The canvas Jo-Ann sells is way off. Only found it in the "tan" color, which is actually mustard.

If you'd like any other info, feel free to send me a pm. I have a couple other things I could point out about the silk screening, etc.
Interesting. From Soulinertia's pic on post #201, I thought it was identical. I'll PM you, I'd love all the advice you have.

Yay it's here! I threw a buckle on real quick.

ObQLJOH.jpg

Later today I'll post more pictures of it. Plenty of small things wrong with it, but so far I'm pretty happy. Feels well constructed and very usable.

Hi everyone. I'm thinking of making my own star lord bag, I believe I know how to build most of it (you guys did a great job building yours, this thread has helped me a lot) but I don't know where to begin with the fabric. Would anyone mind to share with me the fabric's pattern?

Hi everyone. I'm thinking of making my own star lord bag, I believe I know how to build most of it (you guys did a great job building yours, this thread has helped me a lot) but I don't know where to begin with the fabric. Would anyone mind to share with me the fabric's pattern?

You mean which type of fabric to use, or the sewing pattern that shows where to cut and stitch the fabric?

You mean which type of fabric to use, or the sewing pattern that shows where to cut and stitch the fabric?

I mean the "drawings" on the fabric. I need to know the approximate size of the circles and the separation between them. A local store can print that pattern on the fabric so I need to prepare a jpg or a vector file for them. Something like the picture I've attached (which I got from this thread).

PS: please excuese me if I misspoke, as you may notice english is not my native language and it's been a while since the last time I had to use it.

Attachments

• bagpatt1.jpg
    bagpatt1.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 146
I just got some fun pictures:

g2j8C3v.jpg

KI0nlRI.jpg

The colors in these pics might not be exactly accurate, their camera isn't perfect, but overall I'm pretty happy. A couple very small details still to be changed, too. They used blue thread on the front for some reason, and they used the same D rings as last time, but they have the new more accurate ones in shop now

I decided to try a different technique for the material. This is a direct-to-fabric print on duck cloth canvas:

It doesn't have the metallic shine of the screen printed ink, but it looks very clean and it's far easier to produce!

Cool to see someone using direct-to-garment printing. We got one in our shop about 6 months ago and hardly use it.

For the curious/interested, I purchased this bag from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015WG33H8 and thought I'd drop a few pictures for comparison.

kujyCB5.jpg

z5wwPZI.jpg

gA1vdR8.jpg

If anyone wants a better/closer/specific picture of the bag, or some part of it, let me know. I can also answer any questions about the material, structure, functionality, and whatnot.

I'm sure it falls short on a lot of the smaller details (the first thing I noticed was that the main clasp for the strap is incorrect), but overall I think it makes a good base to start from if you're ok with smaller inaccuracies, or if you want something less costly to start with for basic modifying, rather than scratch-building.

I would caution; It is probably smaller than screen-accurate (I'd guesstimate, very roughly, 25 to 30 % smaller). That works well for me, because I'm also small, and 25-30% smaller-than-screen looks 100% correct on me. Your mileage will vary considerably based on your height, build, etc.

First Impressions in bullet-point form:

Pros:
  • Relatively Inexpensive
  • Decent Material Quality
  • Close-to-accurate fabric patterns
  • Strap is highly adjustable; It can be entirely removed, fastened at different lengths and in different ways, and the cross-piece can be removed, leaving just the over-the-shoulder strap, if so desired. I was very happy with the way they executed the strap, from a functionality/versatility standpoint.
  • Main pocket is nice, and even has an internal zip-up side pocket, and some partitions for small things like cellphones (or Orbs of mysterious and awesome power) on the opposite inner wall.

Cons:
  • 25-30% Smaller than screen-accurate (It wouldn't hold my Microsoft Surface, sadly, I'd been hoping to use it as a tablet tote when not in costume)
  • No Weathering (theoretically falls under the category of 'easy to fix with some know-how and elbow grease')
  • Small Inconsistencies, such as the clasp (again, theoretically easy to replace; One could just make a new strap, or rebuild the provided one)
  • While it has an outer pocket, that nestles behind the flap, which is simply a dummy (that'd be my second biggest gripe with it, after size).

Not bad for $100. Got a pic of the lining or any interior shots of the pockets?

Here you go. The inside:

VJkHTk3.jpg

27emkkb.jpg

The Not-A-Pocket flap:

Psn9kRt.jpg

And the actual slightly-hidden outer pocket (nestled between the flap and the outer wall of the inner main pocket):

YiCyBlB.jpg

Fun note: the internal mini-pockets within the main bag are just perfectly sized for a cassette tape (I checked with one of mine) and there's two of them. One for each mixtape. Add that to my list of pro's.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back