The RTD Era Sonic Screwdriver: A Compiled History

Terrasolo

Sr Member
Hello Everyone,

This is a project that I have been working on for quite a while now. The intent was to compile all the researched data on the Doctor's Sonic Screwdriver from the RTD era, from all the various forums, my own private research, as well as research with other friends and collectors. It seemed to me like many fans were still stuck on outdated information because of all the forums threads across one forum alone, let alone multiple forums with multiple threads, had all become too much to wade through for the good data to get a true view of the history or known facts. So I did some digging of my own, lots of screen capping of very episode and digging for BTS photos and official BBC photos, I spoke with the prop makers where I could, and even the sale of the Grey Aztec Body to Brian Uiga in 2018 helped a lot of pieces and facts fall right into place. So a lot of thanks goes out to Brian!

I took all the known facts, threw in my own research or some unknown or lesser known facts, laid some other myths to rest and added Brian's Aztec body into the mix to have one resource for all the up to date information on the Doctor's RTD Era Sonic Screwdriver. I've wanted to share my research for quite a while but the question was always "where?", as I didn't want facts to get lost in the mix or not even read because someone doesn't visit that particular forum, so I chose to make a downloadable PDF file, dated March 2019, so that if any new facts come to light about these props after that date, then we at least have one place to look for any information prior to that date.

That said, I have chosen to release it on my old site, where I used to do a weekly PodKast (one is currently active about this write-up as well) at BeyondKasterborous.com

The file itself is downloadable straight from this link. I hope you all find it to be helpful.

EDIT May 15, 2021: This link will take you to the most up to date file of the PDF. It was last updated in August 2020, so any previously dated PDFs should be ignored.
http://kasterborous.co.uk/rtd-era-sonic-screwdriver-history-free-ebook/
RTD.png

Last edited:
I know that this didn't get much traction here, however for completion's sake I figured I should update the link with the new information that I've found.

When I first released the RTD era Sonic Screwdriver ebook there was one thing nagging me about it, one missing piece; The Intermediate Sonic (aka the Temp Sonic). Where did it come from? More specifically, where did the parts for it come from if there were only ever two Aztec sonics made by Aztec Modelmaker?

So I spent some time recently working on a theory that I had, and with the help of a couple friends, I believe that we have finally solved the mystery of the Intermediate sonic! You see, it had bugged me for a while now that the Wide Slider Aztec was only used in two scenes in Series 3. Even more so because those scenes were within the same episode. But then I thought, what if it wasn’t used in those two scenes? If that were the case, then there’d be no trace of the Wide Slider Aztec in Series 3 at all. This thought got me to dig deeper into my reference material, and back through each Series 3 episode again to find the truth, and once again the Grey Aztec Body helped solved the mystery. Well, that and the ability to search the episodes frame by frame.

To find out the results, be sure to download the revised edition of the RTD Era Sonic Screwdriver History.

EDITED May 15, 2021 - See the first post for the most up to date link to the PDF (Updated August 2020)

Last edited:
I know that this didn't get much traction here, however for completion's sake I figured I should update the link with the new information that I've found.

When I first released the RTD era Sonic Screwdriver ebook there was one thing nagging me about it, one missing piece; The Intermediate Sonic (aka the Temp Sonic). Where did it come from? More specifically, where did the parts for it come from if there were only ever two Aztec sonics made by Aztec Modelmaker?

So I spent some time recently working on a theory that I had, and with the help of a couple friends, I believe that we have finally solved the mystery of the Intermediate sonic! You see, it had bugged me for a while now that the Wide Slider Aztec was only used in two scenes in Series 3. Even more so because those scenes were within the same episode. But then I thought, what if it wasn’t used in those two scenes? If that were the case, then there’d be no trace of the Wide Slider Aztec in Series 3 at all. This thought got me to dig deeper into my reference material, and back through each Series 3 episode again to find the truth, and once again the Grey Aztec Body helped solved the mystery. Well, that and the ability to search the episodes frame by frame.

To find out the results, be sure to download the revised edition of the RTD Era Sonic Screwdriver History.

Free Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver eBook Download | BeyondKasterborous

Super well done. Great read.

Have you asked the producers ie company who made the show? That would be useful I think.

Yes, I’ve asked everyone that I could reach out to. It’s how I’ve gotten as much information as I already have in my article. So what I’ve presented is the best history of these props To date IMO.

Hey Guys,

That's an old link you have there. This is the most up to date version here http://www.kasterborous.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/ebooks/RTD-sonic-history-August-2020.pdf

It should say that it was updated August 2020 - I have now updated the first post on this thread as well.
Thanks, Keep up the excellent work!
I've flipped through the June update a few times now just as a light, casual and fun read. It's basically a magazine.
Would you mind specifying some of the updates?

Also, do you have (or know about) any other comprehensive and neatly collected articles about other pieces?

Thanks, Keep up the excellent work!
I've flipped through the June update a few times now just as a light, casual and fun read. It's basically a magazine.
Would you mind specifying some of the updates?

Also, do you have (or know about) any other comprehensive and neatly collected articles about other pieces?

It's been a while but I believe that this main updates are to the Grey Aztec and the screws on the back. This may've included updated on the Intermediate as well, but those may have been on the older file.

Yes, I also did a write up on the Classic Series Sonic Screwdrivers, and then Tony Farrell has a great write up on the Pertwee era TARDIS console. Both of which can be found here.

eBook | Kasterborous Doctor Who Podcasts

It's been a while but I believe that this main updates are to the Grey Aztec and the screws on the back. This may've included updated on the Intermediate as well, but those may have been on the older file.

Yes, I also did a write up on the Classic Series Sonic Screwdrivers, and then Tony Farrell has a great write up on the Pertwee era TARDIS console. Both of which can be found here.

eBook | Kasterborous Doctor Who Podcasts
Awesome, thanks a lot!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back