The RPF 2013 Halloween Costume Contest! JUDGED WINNERS ANNOUNCED

Congrats to the winners! Absolutely wonderful projects, it was a pleasure reading through them all and an honor being in a gallery among them.

*Edit* weirdest thing, though. I couldn't find Coolc's picture in the Contest Gallery, had to go digging to find his build thread. Would have been nice to see his entry near the others during the contest period so it could be seen alongside the other builds and voted on.

Huh. Same thing with rpenatx. Though since their photos can be found in each other's categories, I'm assuming that this was just a naming mixup and rpenatx is meant to be the judges pic for 'new members' category while Coolc is meant to be the judges pick for the 'Kids' category. Seems to make more sense than the judges waiving the new member criteria for the winner and giving the kid award to a costume that wasn't in the kid gallery. ;)

It would also seem that foam and pepakura are the backbone of projects that people really appreciate! :lol

Last edited:
How was Coolc picked as the winner of the new member when they wasn't in the category or is a new member. Membership shows he is a member since 2011?

VVVVV

*Edit* weirdest thing, though. I couldn't find Coolc's picture in the Contest Gallery, had to go digging to find his build thread. Would have been nice to see his entry near the others during the contest period so it could be seen alongside the other builds and voted on.

Huh. Same thing with rpenatx. Though since their photos can be found in each other's categories, I'm assuming that this was just a naming mixup and rpenatx is meant to be the judges pic for 'new members' category while Coolc is meant to be the judges pick for the 'Kids' category. Seems to make more sense than the judges waiving the new member criteria for the winner and giving the kid award to a costume that wasn't in the kid gallery. ;)

It would also seem that foam and pepakura are the backbone of projects that people really appreciate! :lol

Ya, I'm an idiot. :lol

Coolc is the winner for the kids category and rpenatx is the winner for the new member category. When I was making the graphic I must have assumed the little guy was the kids winner. Will fix now!

Coolc is the winner for the kids category and rpenatx is the winner for the new member category. When I was making the graphic I must have assumed the little guy was the kids winner. Will fix now!

Haha, not an idiot! Our fearless leader through this adventure and a darn good host. Thanks for all your work on the contest this year, glad to see it come to a proper close. :)

There we go. Didn't happen. ;)

RJD0DEE.gif

So you can win twice??

This was something Art and I discussed and made a judgement call that we knew probably wouldn't be popular with a lot of members.

The judges picks had some duplicates in them and I did what I always do in these situations, I read the rules to see if there was anything in them that would state you could only win one of the prizes. There was not. According to the rules everyone was eligible for both the voted prizes and the judged prizes. I thought hard about it because quite frankly I had thought the wording was in there. In the end since there is nothing in the rules that say your judged eligibility is nullified if you win a voted prize we felt that it would be wrong to retroactively put it there.

In my mind this is a failing of the rules document which I helped to write so I'm responsible for it. Next year it will be in the rules that if you win two prizes you will be awarded the larger of the two and the runner up will get your second.

VVVVV

Thanks for correcting and clearing it up. I thought it had to have been a mix up. Congrats to all of the winners!!!

So I have a quick question for everyone who voted... how much did the build thread come into play in your final decisions?

Especially with the men's costumes, the 1st and 2nd place winners both had converted long-established build threads with dozens of replies and updates into a contest thread. On the flip side, many (maybe even most) of the other entrants had a build thread that hit only the minimums required for the costume contest.

For me personally, the more established build threads weighed in heavily into my final decision, more so than the final photographs. I'm wondering how everyone else (and the judges) considered this or if it was a snap decision based on the photos in the gallery.

I checked out the builds for each costume I considered voting on, but the gallery pic is what got my attention (I didn't have time to check ALL the build threads),
I assume the judges checked out the build threads (they sure had enough time ;) ). I'm sure everybody has their own set of criteria for voting, complexity, builders experience, screen accuracy, etc. having an extensive build thread is very cool, but not everybody has the time to take pics of and explain each step in text. :) Some times when you are rolling through a project (any kind) pics and posts are the last thing you think about! ;)

For me I narrowed down my favourite three in each category and then went through their build threads in detail.

However I also got to see all of the build threads due to my duties so I had a good frame of reference. :)

The judges did indeed look at the build threads to help make their decisions. :thumbsup

I thought it was really unfair to everyone who entered that the judges were able to pick people who already won. That doesn't make any sense and is a big slap to the face to the rest of the contestants.

I thought it was really unfair to everyone who entered that the judges were able to pick people who already won. That doesn't make any sense and is a big slap to the face to the rest of the contestants.

Joined today just to make this comment I see...

However:

I do not believe it is a slap in the face but it is something I will be changing next year. The reason people wanted a judged pick this year was because there was fear last year that people were cheating to increase vote counts and many wanted the assurance of "quality" that a judged selection provides. I think that was accomplished.

Nowhere in the rules did is say that winning one prize excluded you from another that was selected in a completely different way. I've already covered that here though:

http://www.therpf.com/f24/rpf-2013-...ers-announced-196436/index11.html#post3125308

kinda agree...... sort of........ double whammy.
it maybe shoud have been the case that if they won the main prize, they should have been excluded from the judges vote.
but....... thems the breaks.
congrats anyway to all who entered and won. ......( he said, choking on his sour grapes lol :cry )

kinda agree...... sort of........ double whammy.
it maybe shoud have been the case that if they won the main prize, they should have been excluded from the judges vote.
but....... thems the breaks.
congrats anyway to all who entered and won. ......( he said, choking on his sour grapes lol :cry )

Believe it or not I agree. As I first said here:

http://www.therpf.com/f24/rpf-2013-...ers-announced-196436/index11.html#post3125308

However hearing it from an obvious sock is another thing entirely.

Congratulations to the judges picks! They have amazing builds! :)
So I have a quick question for everyone who voted... how much did the build thread come into play in your final decisions?

Especially with the men's costumes, the 1st and 2nd place winners both had converted long-established build threads with dozens of replies and updates into a contest thread. On the flip side, many (maybe even most) of the other entrants had a build thread that hit only the minimums required for the costume contest.

For me personally, the more established build threads weighed in heavily into my final decision, more so than the final photographs. I'm wondering how everyone else (and the judges) considered this or if it was a snap decision based on the photos in the gallery.

It played a big part in who I was going to vote for. I was looking through all of the builds I could find.
It was taking so long to look through the build threads I did not get to vote in most categories.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back