The RPF 2013 Halloween Costume Contest! JUDGED WINNERS ANNOUNCED

Re: The RPF 2013 Halloween Costume Contest! VOTING NOW OPEN

When I view the Women's gallery, I don't see a vote button under my pic, only my total. I assumed that meant I didn't have the option. I guess I just don't understand why you see it as poor form. I think I'd rather be told not to vote in my category.

If you only see a vote total that means you've already voted (or someone with your IP has already voted) in that category.

The reason most people see it as "poor form" isn't because you shouldn't vote for yourself, it's because you should vote for what you genuinely believe is the best costume. Going in to a voting situation already knowing who you're going to vote for without seeing the options isn't a good thing.

Therefore, if you sincerely believe yours is the best costume there then of course vote for yourself! :) However if you're voting for yourself just because you want a higher vote count maybe reconsider. :thumbsup

I had a professor who once told us, "If you don't value yourself enough to vote for you, how can you ever expect anyone else to?" A bit extreme maybe, and also possibly more politically focused than for a traditional contest.

Having said that though, I am definitely NOT voting for myself. I am choosing which costume I believe is the best, which is exactly what I hope everyone does. If you genuinely do believe yours is the best, I don't think you should be ashamed of voting for yourself however.

Exactly :thumbsup

Actually you couldn't vote for yourself. When I initially went to vote everyone else had a vote option but mine had nothing. Not that it really matters I guess because everyone else is in the same boat as you.

I think it's hard to say that someone voting for themselves, even if it's obvious that their costume isn't "technically" the best costume, is poor form only because to that person their costume is the best because of the effort and love that went into it. If I see nothing but impeccable Iron Man costumes and mine is the only Uncle Fester costume that's not as time consuming or impressive I may still think mine is the "best" because I'm not a huge Iron Man fan. (this is not my actual feelings by the way, just an example). Let's be honest, unless you're on something like Face Off with judges only, a mass vote is rarely going to be about which costume is "technically" the best costume. It's almost impossible to compare these entries together because each one is so vastly different in technical skill and difficulty. Which is why most of the time it's going to be about favorites and the memories or feelings those favorite costume characters evoke. Nothing wrong with that but that's where the voting for yourself I think comes into play here in why it shouldn't be a bad thing even if the costume isn't as up to par as the others.

Whatevs! Lol, I actually came here to ask a question hahahah! I wasn't bothered by not being able to vote for myself, just found the conversation interesting. I was just curious about the comments. I notice that there are loads of comments but you can't see any of them. I know the past contests comments were an issue but are they going to be eventually shown? I figure if your photo was commented on you would at least know via notifications but I'm always fascinated to read others comments on entries and costumes as a kind of research. I just personally feel as someone who is always trying to grow and branch out (with my personal business doing costumes) it's good to see what others enjoy and in this case vote for and why. Even with all the drama that comments caused before I still found it interesting to read through and see the debates that others would get into as well as the positive comments as to why someone voted for something.

And yes, I have been going through the build threads as well to see comments there.

Actually you couldn't vote for yourself. When I initially went to vote everyone else had a vote option but mine had nothing. Not that it really matters I guess because everyone else is in the same boat as you.

I think it's hard to say that someone voting for themselves, even if it's obvious that their costume isn't "technically" the best costume, is poor form only because to that person their costume is the best because of the effort and love that went into it. If I see nothing but impeccable Iron Man costumes and mine is the only Uncle Fester costume that's not as time consuming or impressive I may still think mine is the "best" because I'm not a huge Iron Man fan. (this is not my actual feelings by the way, just an example). Let's be honest, unless you're on something like Face Off with judges only, a mass vote is rarely going to be about which costume is "technically" the best costume. It's almost impossible to compare these entries together because each one is so vastly different in technical skill and difficulty. Which is why most of the time it's going to be about favorites and the memories or feelings those favorite costume characters evoke. Nothing wrong with that but that's where the voting for yourself I think comes into play here in why it shouldn't be a bad thing even if the costume isn't as up to par as the others.

So it wasn't just me then. When I last viewed the Gallery on the pc, it showed me as having no votes, so I knew I hadn't voted yet.

The stigma against voting for yourself is a weird one, and I personally believe that there shouldn't be one. It's even more of a stigma for a woman to do that than a man (gender roles, anyone?). At a certain point you need to stand up for your work and say "Yes, this is pretty darn good" or you'll always find yourself dissembling or putting yourself or your efforts down when you really shouldn't be.

I am having a difficult time using the links to the build threads of the costumes.
I want see the amount of work that went into the costumes before I vote.

To be honest, if anyone doesn't think their costume deserves to win, why enter? I've skipped entering before because I knew my build wasn't complex or polished enough. I entered this year because I think it's the best thing I've ever made.

I entered this year because I think it's the best thing I've ever made.

Yeah, that's why I entered, too.
Iunno, I just feel like for a 19 year old with no actual sewing experience and who has never sewn a full lycra costume before, I did pretty damn good. I'm pretty proud of myself. v//u//v

I freakin' love your costume by the way. It's adorable! > 3<
Alice in Wonderland is one of my favorite stories and Disney movies!
The bloomers were an amazing and clever touch, by the way. <3

I am having a difficult time using the links to the build threads of the costumes.
I want see the amount of work that went into the costumes before I vote.

Which links are not working? The ones in the first post in this thread or the ones w the photos in the gallery?

Which links are not working? The ones in the first post in this thread or the ones w the photos in the gallery?

I first noticed it when I posted my build link with my picture in the gallery.
When I clicked on the build link in the gallery it took me to the RPF main page.

I thought it was just because it was my picture, but it does the same thing on all the gallery links for me.

It is just a bit of effort to go from the gallery picture, to this thread, and a list of names. For every thread to see the work that went into each build.
Me using windows 8 makes this a real pain...:facepalm

I first noticed it when I posted my build link with my picture in the gallery.
When I clicked on the build link in the gallery it took me to the RPF main page.

I thought it was just because it was my picture, but it does the same thing on all the gallery links for me.

It is just a bit of effort to go from the gallery picture, to this thread, and a list of names. For every thread to see the work that went into each build.
Me using windows 8 makes this a real pain...:facepalm

Mine is working (from the gallery) but I had to go in and alter the link to open in a new window (and add the http://; it was trying to open in the gallery). I think if people didn't take this step it would end up defaulting back to the main page b/c it would be a dead link.

I also do not see any vote button under my own costume, and only votes received, nor can I see how many other votes are received. I also think one should have the option to vote for themselves, as any that is competing in a contest for prizes is not going to vote for others in the same category, what is the point of doing all that hard work then? Generally in costumes contests participants should not be voting anyway, but these usually "popularity contests" not best costume contests, more so how many friends people can get to join and vote. I personally don't ask anyone to vote for me as I feel my costumes speak for themselves, I would rather win based on my actual costume design as opposed to fake votes from fake friends. Personally if I can't vote for myself in my own category I just won't vote, and I am sure others will do the same. I will vote in the other categories as I am not voting against my own hard work, and doubt others will either otherwise there is no point in doing all that work and entering.

Sirbrad, if you really want to see how many people voted for a specific costume, you can click on the thumbnail and it will show you who voted for that entry and you can just count them. I do think that's odd. I didn't enter a costume last year, and actually missed out on the voting. In previous years, could you see who voted for whom? That seems like a potential trouble-maker. I also mentioned this in the OT, but it would be awesome to be able to scroll through the pictures in order. There is an arrow button, but there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to which one you see next.

I am having a terrible time picking out a winner in the Men's group. I think I have it narrowed down to three. One is a build I've been watching for a while, one I saw linked elsewhere and was surprised to find it here, and one that I don't know anything about, but it looks neat and the photo is awesome. I haven't even looked at the Children's category yet. That one is always difficult for me.

I wasn't aware you couldn't vote for your own. Hmmm...

Anyhow, it's a moot point. Vote for whomever you want to, don't vote at all, it's all good and there's no judgement here. In past contests where I've been an entrant I've voted for others because I thought they had a better submission than me. I submitted what I thought was a potential winner and then saw something that I thought was better. It's not that I don't have confidence in myself, it's that when I take a step back I can see that from my perspective I was beaten.

All the categories are VERY tough.

"Better" is a very subjective term, and is in the eye of the beholder. A lot of times "complex" builds win but they are not necessarily better costumes. It is all a matter of opinion anyway and personal preferences so I don't take them seriously. But for me it would be waste of time to give someone else a vote in the same category I am competing in and reduce my chances even more.

Last edited:

I'm taking my vote back!!!! It's all or nothing for me!!! ;-) but no really I think my question about comments got lost. Do they get seen eventually? Did i miss the response? It's completely possible as my brain has not functioned properly for about a year now hahaha!

I'm taking my vote back!!!! It's all or nothing for me!!! ;-) but no really I think my question about comments got lost. Do they get seen eventually? Did i miss the response? It's completely possible as my brain has not functioned properly for about a year now hahaha!

I did indeed miss your question! :lol

Based on feedback from last year's contest we made some changes to the voting such as limiting IP addresses and anonymous voting. I have no idea why your comments wouldn't post except the IP lock might be blocking your comments.

I can see the comments on other entries, but only via PC. I elected to receive notifications, so I'm assuming that I haven't had any yet.

Theplot thickens... Eveningarwen, what photo did you comment on? I can check it out.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2

Theplot thickens... Eveningarwen, what photo did you comment on? I can
Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2

Oh I haven't commented on any, it's just I've noticed a lot of comments that seem high compared to the amount of votes and I always like reading comments of others and why they choose certain costumes over others ect. But I can't see comments on any photos so I was Curious to know if all comments are private and will never be seen (expect maybe by the person whose photo was commented on) or if after voting is done all comments will then be shown. I figured maybe comments weren't shown right now because sometimes it can start a fightt or influence voting?? Like I said, mostly just curious. :)

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back