The Queen’s Gambit

Gimpdiggity

Master Member
Anyone else watched this on Netflix?

After my wife bugged me about it for a while, I finally took the plunge the other night. Ended up watching all seven episodes in just a couple of nights.

I thought it was phenomenal. Really interesting story, with a great main character. Costumes and set designs were really well done.

My wife and I watched it in two days following it dropping. I really loved it. Don't know if I would sit down and watch it again any time soon but I constantly recommend it to people.

One of the best series I've seen in a long while. Anya Taylor-Joy was perfect as the quintessential INTJ. They really nailed the casting for every character.

We watched it and thought it was absolutely wonderful.... however ..those wigs !!! It didn't spoil it , but every scene I couldn't help wondering how on earth the makeup team allowed those god awful wigs onto film .

My biggest issues was the miscast of Jojen Reed as this "bad boy of chess" character. I just found myself laughing every time he showed up.

I thought it was cast well...because the idea of a “Bad Boy of Chess” is absurd, and he is EXACTLY what I would imagine if someone said “Picture in your mind...a...Bad Boy of Chess.”

Like...he’s literally what I would see.

I thought it was cast well...because the idea of a “Bad Boy of Chess” is absurd, and he is EXACTLY what I would imagine if someone said “Picture in your mind...a...Bad Boy of Chess.”

Like...he’s literally what I would see.
I mean, if that was how they treated it, I would be behind it, but they were treating his role so seriously....

I mean, if that was how they treated it, I would be behind it, but they were treating his role so seriously....
I believe that if someone thought of themselves as “The Bad Boy of Chess,” then they would certainly take themselves very seriously. I also believe that everyone in that world would also take that very seriously.

But to normal folks outside of that group, it would most certainly look completely ridiculous.

I think of a guy like Billy Mitchell, legendary arcade gamer...possible world record holder (I no longer can keep up with whether or not his scores are legit or what).

19031705-4BBB-463D-B271-AC824C420480.jpeg

...this guy.

I’m a member of several arcade groups due to a small collection of 3/4 scale machines I own. In those groups, this guy is legitimately looked at as a “Bad Boy of Arcade Games.” He’s a hero...he’s a villain...he’s larger than life.

But to me...as just a casual collector/player, I look at this dude and think “How does anyone take him seriously?”

That’s why I feel the casting was spot on for this “Badass” chess player...because he’s only a badass to OTHER chess fanatics, but to a layperson, he just comes off as completely comical, almost like a cartoon character.

I believe that if someone thought of themselves as “The Bad Boy of Chess,” then they would certainly take themselves very seriously. I also believe that everyone in that world would also take that very seriously.

But to normal folks outside of that group, it would most certainly look completely ridiculous.

I think of a guy like Billy Mitchell, legendary arcade gamer...possible world record holder (I no longer can keep up with whether or not his scores are legit or what).

View attachment 1412244

...this guy.

I’m a member of several arcade groups due to a small collection of 3/4 scale machines I own. In those groups, this guy is legitimately looked at as a “Bad Boy of Arcade Games.” He’s a hero...he’s a villain...he’s larger than life.

But to me...as just a casual collector/player, I look at this dude and think “How does anyone take him seriously?”

That’s why I feel the casting was spot on for this “Badass” chess player...because he’s only a badass to OTHER chess fanatics, but to a layperson, he just comes off as completely comical, almost like a cartoon character.
Agree fully with you. Especially in chess there are very few who don't take themselves as players, or the game extremely seriously.

An outsanding show. Character and story above all else.
I try to recommend it and people are put off because "chess is boring".
It's as much about chess as Rocky is about boxing or Karate Kid is about karate.
It's the journey, the adversity and it is done extremely well.

Blew my mind that Beth Harman was Casey from Split/Glass.

If you all like chess that much (as do I), I highly recommend the movie "Searching for Bobby Fischer" with Ben Kingsley and Laurence Fishburne.It's a shame I can't find it anywhere on dvd where I live, or I would watch it frequently.Just a tip for all of you

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back