The Predator

I figured that was going to happen though (some people loving it despite the massive flaws). I'm half way convinced some people in the "fandom" would be happy/satisfied with a Predator hunting Teletubbies because "be happy they are giving us more Predator!" I hate all the pred comics I've read so far, so I also can't comprehend why it allegedly being like the "bad-blood-comic" is a good thing ... *sigh*

I'm thinking the reason some call it the best one since the first, is because the action, and CGI are enough to make it a "good" popcorn flick where you turn your brain off.

I figured that was going to happen though (some people loving it despite the massive flaws). I'm half way convinced some people in the "fandom" would be happy/satisfied with a Predator hunting Teletubbies because "be happy they are giving us more Predator!" I hate all the pred comics I've read so far, so I also can't comprehend why it allegedly being like the "bad-blood-comic" is a good thing ... *sigh*

I'm thinking the reason some call it the best one since the first, is because the action, and CGI are enough to make it a "good" popcorn flick where you turn your brain off.
I never got into any of the predator universe stuff, it just takes it to far. Its all about the films for me. Yes when you look at it, its just a popcorn action flick, enough to appease the average moviegoer. Yes it had gore, and yes it has the predator doing predator type stuff, but the rest of the film rendered it all moot. There was no horror, or suspense. It was just jokes jokes jokes, which is not what a predator movie is about.

LMAO at any one that even thought this was worth giving a chance, I'm feeling really justified right now and I'm not the only one. You don't need to see this movie to know it's a giant piece of ****. I don't hear (read) any laughing now.

There are still people on this forum that will moan "OMG YOU HAVEN'T EVEN SEEN IT GIVE IT A CHANCE YOU JERK." If you're paying money to see this movie, you are supporting the people who made it, they don't give a **** if you liked it or not, they have your money and that tells them to make more of this garbage.

You would think that ONE LOOK at this photo (among others) would make it clear to people that this movie was going to suck a FAT one, but delusion is strong. HAPPY FRIDAY, everyone!

Shane Black's The Predator
163384.jpg

Well "The Predator" has reached and stood still at a deserving 34% rotten tomato (51% audience score). I guess the only thing that saved it from the 11% of AvP:R were the characters and action.

If the life of the Franchise wasn't somewhat at stake, I'd just laugh at all these missteps since the original. I hear way too many people saying nothing could ever come close to it, but imho it just comes down to the film-makers since then not taking a look at analyzing what it is that makes the first one great. Until you have that down to a near sience it makes no sense to tack on extra content, because it won't be in the same vein as the movie we all love. Predators was a rehashing of the first one with noticeable drawbacks (yes BENSIN, I hear you and you make some good points lol) but it's been the best film since P2 (and in many ways is superior to p2 imo.).
And I think the studio, or shane, or both looked at that and tried to "evolve" it from Predators instead of P1 and some of P2 (imo all the second one got right was the design and behavior of the pred ... and a movie needs more than that).

So now we have a rehashing of Predators, in the lame setting of AvP:R i.e. they have no clue what to do with the IP.

Well, everyone else's taken a massive dump on the turd pile, so who am I to refuse?

I, being an infallible optimist, had...hopes for the movie, and I'd sincerely hoped that the rumors about the autistic kid being a 'true warrior' was a load of ****. However, hearing things like; 'Autism is the next evolutionary level,' and **** like that proves conclusively that the PC brigade have finally managed to ruin pretty much everything.

To clarify; I do NOT have any problem with people being autistic, LGBT or whatever. But what really pisses me off is that people feel the need to shoehorn it into everything in every corner of our culture. If someone had said in 1987 that the Predator movie in 2018 would feature an autistic kid being proclaimed by a 9-ft super killer alien hunter monster thing as the ultimate warrior, they would have thought that person was probably high.

What made Predator great was that it combined OTT macho silliness with a genuine, intense and damn entertaining film. The true problem lies not entirely with Shane Black, though his hands were hardly tied, but with the fact that times are changing; in many ways for the worst, and, sadly, Predator has lost its place in our 'advanced' and downright suffocatingly politically correct era. The kind of macho swagger in Predator, the magic mojo that made it so damn good, has been thrown in the trash by a load of board execs that just want money.

Another example of a cornerstone franchise about to get the chop is that of James Bond; a truly iconic piece of film history, possibly (please don't kill me) more so that Predator. But Bond's way of life, the drinks, the action, the girls in particular, has been deemed sexist and prehistoric. While there are concessions and reason to some of this argument, the fact remains that it, tragically, isn't allowed to thrive any more because it's not what the PC brigade deem to be right (although ironically this goes against their values of equality).

But, I digress.The point I'm trying to make is that The Predator could never really have been what we wanted to see, not only because FOX doesn't care about the fans anymore, but also that the old-schooliness of Predator cannot be redone in 2018, for reasons previously stated.

Although the Predator did have a few fun moments and I did like the tie-ins a lot, as there really hasn't been enough of that in the franchise, I believe that the film's ultimate failure was inevitable, and even with the most passionate director at the helm, the magic was not meant to be.

Damn I need to get a life.

I agree with most of what you said, though I remain optimistic that it hasn't lost its place in society/culture. A group of (ACTUALLY BELIEVABLE) grizzled vets could still hold up to the macho charm of the p1 group (with *some* retooling necessary for "modern" times).

I guess what it comes down to is the first movie was a more believable story with a believable group of elite soldiers.
"The Predator" turned everything up to 11 and exchanged a believable story and characters for (ridiculous) "fun" in all areas.

Exactly. There's a huge gap in realism between a group of soldiers being hunted by an alien warrior than aliens coming to earth to get the DNA of an autistic child. That's more than a little silly.

I agree with most of what you said, though I remain optimistic that it hasn't lost its place in society/culture. A group of (ACTUALLY BELIEVABLE) grizzled vets could still hold up to the macho charm of the p1 group (with *some* retooling necessary for "modern" times).

I guess what it comes down to is the first movie was a more believable story with a believable group of elite soldiers.
"The Predator" turned everything up to 11 and exchanged a believable story and characters for (ridiculous) "fun" in all areas.

Well, it's the fans like us that keep it alive!

It was an AWESOME movie ..... ok ok there was some CGI but i guess that being ''nostalgic'' isnt helping at all these days ;)... one thing i did not heard from you guys is seeing Arnold return for at least a scene in this movie...

So I just got out from watching this and yes it has truly ventured far far away from a HORROR film. It just made too many jumps for me, suddenly somehow everyone knows exactly what's going on and what the back story is to all this?! The ending though...I... I just can't. Aside from that, in just going to second what everyone else has already touched on. :mad:

With it bombing at the box office the way it is, I wonder if Disney will just sell off the Alien and Predator IP's once the merger goes through?

Also anyone care to figure out how this ****-show needed nearly 88mil in production?!? (Plus whatever marketing cost lol)

Screenshot_2018-09-18-01-26-52.png

With it bombing at the box office the way it is, I wonder if Disney will just sell off the Alien and Predator IP's once the merger goes through?

Also anyone care to figure out how this ****-show needed nearly 88mil in production?!? (Plus whatever marketing cost lol)

View attachment 270527
What i want to know is where did that 88 million go? AVPR and Predators cost less and had so much more going on in them. If it all went towards the CG upgrade predator then they were ripped off. o_O

The movie was complete trash. It basically breaks down to the Predators have come to earth to steal.... Autism...

What... The.... ****...

I think a lot of people were excited for this movie because they hoped Shane Black would do it justice. Black took EVERYTHING good about the Predator and took a steaming dump on it.

The original had jokes and humor. But once the killing started the jokes stopped. There was fear and emotion in the characters. You felt for Mac when Blain was killed. You worried if they would make it to the extraction. With this movie?? You have a bunch of guys cracking jokes ALL THE TIME. And I'm sorry but the casting choices were HORRIBLE. The main guy (I forgot his name) is so absolutely boring to me. I could care less if he got killed. In fact, with the exception of Nebraska, I was HOPING they would all get killed. And don't get me started on Junior Rain Man. I just can't with this crap...

Here is what I hope. I hope Fox gives up the IP and a studio that REALLY cares about the Predator picks it up and makes a movie worth watching. I would love to see a Predator movie set during the Vietnam War.

But my biggest hope is that they stop emasculating the Predator. They've been doing it since Predator 2. Pred was running from Danny Glover. Come on! In AVP 1, Predators were being taken out by stupid aliens pretty easily. They looked weak (and way too bulky). Despite the stupid concept of Requiem, I actually liked the Predator in that. He didn't come off as weak. In Predators, the REAL Predator was a hostage that got killed quick by that GOD AWFUL "alpha". And then of course we have the **** show that is "Shane Black Wipes His Ass With The Predator". A 13 foot, autsitic dna collecting CGI crap fest. And as usual, the REAL Pred gets killed. In the first, Dutch got lucky and managed to kill the Predator. Otherwise, chances are Dutch would have died too. But in all the other movies, the Predators die easily. These guys are elite hunters! (NOT WORLD CONQUERORS WHO COLLECT DNA).

I'm sorry for the long post. I'm just angry. I'm angry at the treatment this character gets. I'm angry that the work Stan Winston's guys put into this character is being **** on with CGI. And I'm especially mad that Shane Black wanted to turn this into Iron Man 3.

Please someone make a good Predator film. Let's just wash out the AVPs, Predators and this latest abomination and start fresh.

Maybe we can all team up and write a screen play.

Derek

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back