The Predator Costume Manual Guide (2017)

New section to this thread. Not the forum.
But anyway in response to you Jmen

1. Pepakura collection = Armory
2. 3D Files/Printing section = In general has always been looked down upon. Members in the past have expressed their dislike of 3D files/3D Pritned items. Especially when the member didn't make it themselves. Also it's important to note that a large amount of this community put hard work and time into sculpting pieces. For someone to take the 'quick root' of simply downloading a free file and editing a few things here and there, printing it and claiming they did it can cause tensions. There is also difficulty in sourcing 3D files from their original author. Files in the past have been taken, sold and distributed without artists permission. Forums and groups have expressed their concern for example when that Baby Groot (download) was given out freely. There were hundreds of people who claimed it was there's and were mass producing and selling these. I doubt 3D files will ever gel with this community. That being said, if the member created the 3d file himself/herself, printed it and worked on it... that's completely fine. There's still alot of nitty gritty areas to get in to before 3D file section can be introduced.

New section to this thread. Not the forum.
But anyway in response to you Jmen

1. Pepakura collection = Armory
2. 3D Files/Printing section = In general has always been looked down upon. Members in the past have expressed their dislike of 3D files/3D Pritned items. Especially when the member didn't make it themselves. Also it's important to note that a large amount of this community put hard work and time into sculpting pieces. For someone to take the 'quick root' of simply downloading a free file and editing a few things here and there, printing it and claiming they did it can cause tensions. There is also difficulty in sourcing 3D files from their original author. Files in the past have been taken, sold and distributed without artists permission. Forums and groups have expressed their concern for example when that Baby Groot (download) was given out freely. There were hundreds of people who claimed it was there's and were mass producing and selling these. I doubt 3D files will ever gel with this community. That being said, if the member created the 3d file himself/herself, printed it and worked on it... that's completely fine. There's still alot of nitty gritty areas to get in to before 3D file section can be introduced.
Gocha)

Hi!
Just wondering if there's any more detailed guidance on storage beyond mannequin + cool temps?
I have some pretty old antiques that I inherited which require precise storage parameters, so I'm all ears about how to store a finished pred suit...

Ex:
Cool temp: what is the range that one should shoot for? the colder the better, below freezing? What about temp fluctuations?
Humidity: what range to shoot for? the lower the better, 0% best?
Mannequin use: my "pants" have suspenders to help hold it up, but wouldn't prolonged display end up stretching the areas where the suspenders meet the latex, possible tear (Vs laying flat where there are no stress points)?

(I've used the search bar to look for mentions of "storage" but only this thread came up with any info...

Cheers!

---Alex

Storage: A 150 + litre box with wheels is often what some choose as a storage case for suits.
Keep it in a cool environment > Closet > Basement.
Below breezing will cause the paint to crack/can potentially cause the latex to warp when exposed to heat.
Latex/material in general will degrade over time. If areas do stretch/tear simply fix those areas by applying latex and waiting for it to dry and cure. Laying suits flat can cause parts to stick together if exposed to enough heat. Remember for paint to even stick on a latex suit there must be an adhesion promoter. The surface of suits tend to retain a level of stickiness.
145-litre-premium-quality-lockable-plastic-box-with-clip-on-lid-and-wheels-p1185-1737_image.jpg

Thanks Wreav for the reply!

I'll make sure to keep it stored in a cool environment (but not freezing)!

Just to clarify, I assume most people don't have space for a mannequin, and the storage box is a good fit for them, but I do have a mannequin and space to house it... Given this availability, which is better between the bin and the mannequin?
(And if the mannequin is a better option, are my concerns about stretching founded?)

Finally, when you say that laying the suit flat will cause some parts to stick, do you mean the insides may stick to each other (ex: inside chest sticking to inside back), or are you referring to storage of a suit flat in a storage bin, where you would have to fold the suit to fit the bin (ex: folding pants so that the painted shin is folded and touches the painted thigh and those two painted surfaces fuse together)?

Either way, maybe a layer of cloth between any surfaces (either a cloth inside the suit to stop any inside surfaces from fusing, or a cloth between any outside painted surfaces) would help in surfaces sticking to each other?

Thanks again!

---Alex

Many place their suit on a mannequin for display purposes and to add any extra finishing touches. If there is a comic con people tend put their suit inside the storage box for transportation. As latex ages it gets stiffer and harder.

If your suit is folded and placed inside the storage container for an excessive amount of time or placing it inside under the wrong conditions the sticky surface of the suit (most suits retain a sticky surface to ensure paint sticks to the latex). Painted surfaces can stick to other painted surfaces to avoid this a light touch of talcum powder helps. You could use newspaper instead of cloth.

I think it's time to update this a little LunaticNic any suggestions. I may format it in a way that's more user friendly. Let me know if there are any edits that you recommend. Same as everyone else.

I'd say move the memorable quotes down some or after the intro, as it doesn't "flow" very nicely imo.
Also the old version seemed to have a warmer, and more open tone, while this one seems more cold and rigid. I get that people need to know about the problems with suits, and maintaining them, but maybe add it as an afterthought instead of in the beginning or smack dab in the middle.

Then regarding safety I'd say it would be REALLY important not to be vague with etc. But trying to be as accurate as possible.

And lastly what about adding some pictures here or there?

Money tends to fund absolutely everything especially with projects. It's required to be cold and rigid or people when money is at stake. Some have funnelled large sums of money just to see their project to completion. I think its paramount not to sugar coat anything and to be clear and to the point. Some have spent thousands and thousands without achieving what they wanted, me included. If I knew a fraction of what I did now when I started out, I would not have fallen into certain traps that I did. Spending excess amounts of money on things which were simple not needed. It's also important to maintain the fact that it is not cheap hobby. Being cold and rigid and to the point is necessary.

I'll rework the safety area when I have time.

I think the suit guide reads fairly well personally. Being a suit owner now and going back over the guide it is night and day. I don’t want something sugar coated especially for he amount of money I currently have invested in my suit. I want straight forward to the point examples and directions: don’t do this or it will be screwed! Like I said reading it before I took the plunge I had no real idea what I was expecting. The warning could be added, but not to scare away future preds. I thought putting the suit on was gonna be super comfortable and I could dance around lol. In reality it’s quite uncomfortable and incredibly draining for the body and mind to endure anything over several hours. That should be outlined for people. It’s amazing to transform into the character, but caution should be advices for prolonged duration and activities not just for physical well being but the safety of the suit aswell. Just my two cents lol

yoslvr442 thanks, for what it's worth I tried to single out the key points I will edit things accordingly when I have time. My schedule has just been very busy. I'll try dedicating sometime to re-vamp this.

Reading through all of this I am now having mixed feelings about attempting a full suit. I remember when I was around 12 I stumbled across the Hunters Laid and told my parents I wanted to make a Predator costume (Which I never did thank god at that age) Now that I am older and currently on a college film and tv course learning how to make props and use makeup / prosthetics, to which I discovered the site again and my interest in Predators came back. Though I am having doubts on if I will make a full suit that wont be just a cracked up wreck.... Thanks for this guide though, as much as I like to think with a positive mindset its good to have a good reign into reality to see what is actually possible. Now thinking its probably best to just work on a bio-mask first for fun slowly in my spare time and see how it will go after that considering how busy I am with said college course, money and time are a little scarce.

CrimsonPredator when I first came to the Lair, I ended up spending far too much... on excessive amounts of materials and really having no self control over what I purchased. Of course, over time that changed and I became far more conservative about my spending habits. Many opt to do various different things when starting their suit. The bio mask/head are usually the first things people attempt and with good reason... Always maintain projects as if its a hobby, it helps keep your mind frame focused on other things rather than spending time and energy on Predator things.

Wreav A problem I have had for many years now is I tend to flip from build to build. Starts off with me finding something I really like or looking back into something I like, would research into it as much as possible (Including any background writing or if others have built a costume/prop of it) make plans to build it and start it. Around when I make my plans real life pulls me away from it, something else takes my interest or when I start it I lose heart over something stupid. Its a habit that I despise and I hope to dash out with something like this. I got a lot of Warhammer to work with alongside college and this if I can shoulder it all and have fun with it. I went through a Transformers phase, Daleks phase (Which has repeated itself multiple times...) Star Wars phase and now I have come back to the Predator phase which was arguably the thing that started off this cycle when I was 12 seeing an old Youtube video of a massive group of Predators at San Diego comic con :) .

This question may be better placed somewhere else, but in terms of taking care of your suit, how is it best to pack it for travelling?
I'm thinking specifically for aircraft travel - to interstate conventions or photoshoots or whatever.
Is there a recommended packing material or type of box/case or tips on how best to protect it?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back