The Predator Costume Manual Guide (2017)

I wonder if my ninja juicer will work lol. I use it for grinding my coffee beans turns them to a fine powder.
I think he's talking about something more like this. I believe putting it into something like a juicer will clog up the machine, and cause the color to foam up allot ... additionally you'd have to mix rather large quantities of color doing it that way ...

Screenshot_2017-05-22-13-57-16-1.png

Too bad this wasn't posted six months ago. I don't think I'd have gone ahead with my Predator had it all been outlined. I have my Predator now and it's been a love/hate relationship. She's a beautiful creation but had I known how much maintenance is required and that it can't be put on by yourself I'd have never gone forward with it.

Last edited:
My first suit required two people to help me put on. This exact post wasn't up back then but past members have written about some of the tedious things revolve around Predator costuming. This one is still WIP, currently working on adding more content to it.

I just want to point out for anyone coming here with no idea what they're getting themselves into. I started in late 2011 piece by piece, making a mr incredible version, scrapping it, being in between jobs, losing motivation, having no time, no place to work on it, and finally getting the money to have some decent artists make me a whole suit with painting comissions. It's June 2017 and in theory I'll be done next week. Almost 6 years. Probably about $2200 dumped into it. If you aren't able to commit the time or money, you'll end up with a half decade long project sitting in your closet or garage.

Ok, Guys and Gals.......
What I am Hearing(reading) here is:
I need to take a deep breath, and be ready for a long journey to achieve my dream of having a good suit.
so far......
I have picked up bits and pieces of an armour build, gotten tutorials on better looking armour pieces, and a temp head and bio.

and then I got to looking at making a DIY Suit........and fainted. LOL

looks like I will need to start by:
  • making a body mannakin 1st. ( is there a tutorial for that?)
  • find a COOL place to keep my "body" as I create it.....( I live in AZ......gonna be tough)
and so begins the journey..........

I was reading this through to make sure all the for/against points were covered. Even the most difficult of challenges that is faced by almost all suit owners. :rolleyes:
It's a pinned post so it should help quiet a bit.

Jmen Predator suits are a completely different ball game and some can be ignorant towards this. I know I was when I started out, 3 years later I was humbled knowing how difficult things could be nonetheless this serves as an interesting manual guide post that could be referred to from time to time. I will revisit it when I can. Having suggestions helps :)

Jmen Predator suits are a completely different ball game and some can be ignorant towards this. I know I was when I started out, 3 years later I was humbled knowing how difficult things could be nonetheless this serves as an interesting manual guide post that could be referred to from time to time. I will revisit it when I can. Having suggestions helps :)
All done, i think.

Now that I've completed a suit from scratch using a MR.I suit and foamies I would like to share my experience.

Cost:
Starting out I thought I could make a complete suit with purchasing a latex head and bio for around $600 and i was way off! I made mistakes and needed to buy additional parts, airbrush paints add up quickly, and buckles straps velcro magnets all add up! I added up everything I could find invoices for and it came out to roughly $1400, this number does not include tools that I bought for this suit.

Tools:
These are what tools I had to buy that I didn't already own, this isn't everything I used for the project:
1. Heat Gun
2. Glue Gun
3. PVC pipe cutter
4. Airbrush kit
5. Pepakura viewer
6. Paint Rollers
7. Paint brushes
8. Foam brushes
9. Exacto Blades (Tons)

Time:
I didn't track my time but I believe over the year it took to complete the suit I invested around 700 hours. I started in August 2016 and worked on it heavily for a few months, then decided I didn't like where it was going and gave up for about half a year. I got back into it mid 2017 with the goal of completing it by late September 2017. So don't give up!!! I remember the first time I painted a piece of armor and weathered it, it looked better that I could have hoped! That gave me the drive to work on the project heavily for half a year, and complete it!

Issues:
With everything complete my only issue are the dreads. Since they are made from backer rod they are quite stiff. I knew this going in and the addition of PVC dread rings helps the movement but they are also heavy. The worst part is they restrict the movement of my head, I can probably only turn 45 degrees each way, using less dreads would have been better but then the look seems wrong to me. The whole suit design comes down to the cost of quality. The backer rod dreads with PVC rings only cost me around $50, but actual molded dreads would have looked and moved much better.

Hope this helps some people with their builds or thoughts they may have about building a Predator suit.

Anymore things to add guys? This will be a thread that new comers go to, for quick information as to what they are getting themselves into. Would like to tackle the prospect of ignorance to what exactly they will need to do or how much time and money they would be spending.

Will add a new section:
' Convention restrictions '
If anyone wants to add to this proposed section please lend me your thoughts.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back