"The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Space Adventure on Fox

This was absolutely the best two episodes they've done of the show so far. My only complaint is that the space battle felt kind of fake. If you look at battles on a show like Babylon 5, they look realistic. Things on Star Trek from TNG on have looked, for lack of a better word, "plastic". The ships all look like models, they don't feel real, they don't move like a real ship would move and this battle had a lot of those qualities. It was like a kid was holding a model of the Orville, going "vroom! vroom!" Now that might be because The Orville is being modeled off of TNG, but come on, you can do a lot better and make it more realistic if you wanted to. It's a minor complaint, but it remains a complaint.

I am going to have to watch thst big battle over and over sgain- like the Bsttle of Endor there is so much going on it is hard to make out with a single viewing .

I do think they wasted an opportunity - since Mercer knew the captain from long ago he should have used a personal and private reference instead of the "13 button salute" which would been in the accessed databases

I am going to have to watch thst big battle over and over sgain- like the Bsttle of Endor there is so much going on it is hard to make out with a single viewing .

I do think they wasted an opportunity - since Mercer knew the captain from long ago he should have used a personal and private reference instead of the "13 button salute" which would been in the accessed databases

When the captain cameo on screen I was like “oh **** it’s Tony Almeda!

The music was once again very closely aping an existing score but I haven't put my finger on it yet. I've been enjoying the frequent "homages" but they're so frequent it's starting to lean toward the lazy side.

Anyway, that's just a quibble, it was awesome!

The Kaylon have the same back story to BSG Cylon Lore.....I like Seth borrowing that. intentional or not.

Isaak is "CY" from BSG 80 "The Return of Starbuck."

The battles were massive and great but agreed something seemed off.
No big deal though, I'm sure they stretched the budget as far as it would go
to get this 2 parter made. And I applaud the effort.

taken alone, the invasion episode was great.

The battle sequence with the Union and Kaylons was better than anything I ever saw on a star trek TV show, and beat the pants off stargate too.

In the context of the two parter, I wish they had depicted the Kaylon as far less powerful in the first episode. For me, they were set up as an unstoppable force in the first episode, but were simply "powerful" in the second. So far it's the only time I feel like the Orville dropped it's track record of perfect continuity.

a few tweaks in the first episode would have made things link up better.

The battle sequence with the Union and Kaylons was better than anything I ever saw on a star trek TV show...
It reminded me of DS9's The Sacrifice of Angles. And it may be technically superior, but the DS9 battle was tops for it's time and still holds up.

I was really REALLY wowed by the last couple of episodes. And yeah the battle was epic.
I do have one or two nitpics was it 100% perfect? maybe not but easily 95%+

Genuinely not been this hyped over a show since the old days of trek and StarGate, STD while i dont mind the show. Just doesnt make me feel pumped like this show does and Im a biased long time trekkie...

As for the music. This seasons music has really gone up a notch, there are loads of cues and homages to trek themes. Including the Klingon theme getting mixed into the score.

Its honestly been an amazing show... Thank you Seth.... You big Nerd you! :D

Great great fun. The whole time I was like “can’t be a simulation if they do this shot... can’t be cuz of THAT shot... if this is a simulation, the editor is a moron...”

Awesome that it wasn’t. Not sure I buy the whole “let’s keep the guy who was responsible for working with an adversary to blow up an entire ship and it’s crew”

They all thought the human race was about to be eliminated, and the guy who was heartless about it almost the entire time is now gonna serve?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Otherwise, fantastic “parody” Seth. Ha

I'm also glad that they didn't try to make Isaac into something he was not. He really was a spy for the Kaylon's and didn't have any problems with them killing off biologicals until they wanted him to kill the boy.

I wouldn't say that he had no problem with them killing crew members, remember, he tried to save the shirt of the enginerring tech they spaced, it's just wasn't until the boy that he was actually willing to defy Prime and do something about it. Basically, it was one step too far for Isaac.

I agree. It was pretty lazy writing for them to have Ed use a code that was in the books, as if Isaac wouldn't have known and therefore passed it on to the rest of the Kaylons. They really should have made the 13 finger salute a personal thing between Ed and the other Captain but the Kaylons figure it out somehow.

Last edited:
I do like how they had Isaac showing a real bond between himself and the kid, that he was willing to essentially betray his race. Also the Krill coming to their rescue was amazing, I wonder how much that alliance will last. If it can last, it would be an amazing way to get Teleya back. I hope shes coming back next week since its the one where they reach out to them.

My biggest nitpick is this : Do the Kaylon not have WiFi?
Surely as soon as one of 'em is shot, or notices something amiss... They ALL should know?

Secondary to that - Why bother keeping the Orville crew alive once the game was up, and the Union knew what was going on?
If they're already going into "Kill all humans" mode, time to open the locks and suffocate everyone, no?
One less ship to worry about in the battle...

Those aside, that was some EXCELLENT TV! the battle scenes should get some award recognition, and it'll be a travesty if they don't.
The rest of the story held up really well, too - TNG didn't hit its stride this well until into Season 3!

Surely as soon as one of 'em is shot, or notices something amiss... They ALL should know?

It'd be a logical possibility, but the show had at least set it up where it appeared they only interfaced with each other when the need arose. The "Main hall" area where a half dozen or more kaylon are standing on platforms all up and down the wall, kind of "jacked in" to the flow of data, and the fact that every time the kaylon spoke to each other "in private" while a human was around, they kind of did a "slump and look at the other robot" thing. meaning that they weren't a hive mind, or in constant communication.

Secondary to that - Why bother keeping the Orville crew alive once the game was up, and the Union knew what was going on?
If they're already going into "Kill all humans" mode, time to open the locks and suffocate everyone, no?
One less ship to worry about in the battle...

They didn't think that the Union DID know. They caught the boy and yaffit trying to send a message, but they straight up said "there's no evidence a message was sent". Then by the time they would have sprung the whole "You sit in your chairs, and lie to the union" shtick, the Orville was already back under Union control (that and the moment they showed up near earth, there was a fleet in the way, even IF the Orville had been under Kaylon control at that point, they would have just flown the Orville as another gun ship, since the jig was already up)

My main thing was just how slow they reacted whenever one of their numbers got shot. You'd think that as a robotic race theyh'd have much quicker reaction times and reflexes than they do. Take the scene in the shuttle bay where Bortis shoots one guard then shoots the other within a few seconds, a few long seconds where even a human would have reacted to their partner being shot before being shot themselves. But this other Kaylon took forever (for a robot) to react to his partner being shot. But, that's just a nitpick and I still enjoyed the episode, it just would have been nice to see the Kaylon react just a tad bit faster.

It could be they were having to process unfamiliar information - just about all Kaylon onboard had no actual combat training, only the uprising many years ago

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back