The Original ED-209 Puppet - Request for Info

vectorzero

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
In my latest build I'm trying to recreate the stop motion ED-209.

The current issue is the relative dimensions of the legs. I'm basing my dimensions on the Horizon vinyl model, cross referenced with whatever materials I can find.

I've scoured the internet, as well as every frame of the Blu-Ray, the 'making of' documentary etc. There only seems to be one grainy shot of the original armature (from Cinefex years ago), and only a few of the puppet itself. This is all I have. If anyone has any others I'd be very grateful for a high res example.

ed1.jpged2.jpged3.jpged5.jpged6.jpged7.jpged8.jpged9.jpged10.jpged11.jpged12.jpged13.jpgED209-armature001.jpgED209-prepaint001.jpgIMG_0853rs.jpgRobocop_v03L.jpg

Last edited:
Re: The original ED-209 puppet

I never really realized how small the original is, looks smaller than the Hot Toys piece, and yet so impressive on screen!

Guys

Thank you for looking. It is very much appreciated.

Unfortunately, the deviantart renders are not accurate to the screen model.

The Hot Toys model is very close, but not quite 100%.

4 of the shots at the start of the thread are from the stop motion puppet in Phil's studio, and are reasonably recent I believe. His website sadly just has some small thumbnails of the stuff I already have.

There is a recent video tour at Tested, and the model is there in the background for a few fleeting frames, as well as some good closeups of the fullscale static model.

Anyone visited Tippet Studio recently? With a camera?

Guys

Thank you for looking. It is very much appreciated.

Unfortunately, the deviantart renders are not accurate to the screen model.

The Hot Toys model is very close, but not quite 100%.

4 of the shots at the start of the thread are from the stop motion puppet in Phil's studio, and are reasonably recent I believe. His website sadly just has some small thumbnails of the stuff I already have.

There is a recent video tour at Tested, and the model is there in the background for a few fleeting frames, as well as some good closeups of the fullscale static model.

Anyone visited Tippet Studio recently? With a camera?

Yes, it is still at Phil's shop..

Raats_ED209_001.JPG Raats_ED209_002.JPG

Best
MARK

Last edited:

Thanks Mark

Appreciate those high definition stills. That's the full size prop. I'm actually after high resolution stills of the stop motion puppet. The puppet is located in the studio between the Bain and Juassic Park miniatures. This looks like a different room from where the full size ED is kept. You can see it lurking in the background in these two stills from the Tested tour.

Studio 01.jpgStudio 02.jpg

Did you get to see this other room and perhaps the miniature ED?

Cheers

Neil

Sorry mate - my bad.

The other pictures you posted are from the main reception but unfortunately, I don't have any pics of the ED209 from there.

I'm sure other guys here will be able to help sooner than I can because I'm not sure when I'll be back in SF again. If you strike out when I'm there I'll definitely see Phil again and see what I can do for you.

Best

MARK

This is still one of my favorite threads! Looking forward to hearing about any help/progress especially from Phil himself!

I emailed his website way back when I built my Horizon kit (see sig link). I knew it was a long shot but I asked them for help with ref on ED. Never got a reply but no surprise, LOL!

I've always been interested in drawing a 3d armature so I offer my help if needed.

Dont want to sidetrack too much but ED has been my favorite Droid design as long as I can remember. Too bad the redesign for the new movie is a let down! I'll still watch it though.

Joe

Also a big fan of ED-209. I used to pretend I was ED-209, stomping around the playground...

Greetings!

My first post to the RPF but hopefully worthwhile. For the past 5 months I've been working towards the same goal - recreating the ED-209 stop motion puppet. In those 5 months I've studied the exact pics posted by vectorzero, read and re-read "Stop Motion Armature Machining", taken hundreds of screenshots from the movie, built a small machine shop in my garage, and have taught myself basic machining skills. Whew!

Vectorzero - before I cut the first piece, I reverse engineered the armature design from two sources: (1) the 2 grainy, black and white Cinefex photos and (2) the Horizon vinyl ED-209 kit. I created a 1:1 3D model in SketchUp. I've been using this 3D model to guide the build.

I've delayed posting to RPF or any other forum. I'm anxious to share but this project has been SO MUCH work and I get SO LITTLE time to build. I always feel intense pressure to post regular updates! Perhaps it's time to include others in the build. I could use the power of more brains (and a little encouragement too).

I'll post a couple of pics shortly. :$

The talent on this board, its unreal! Love to see more of this! Time to gawp at that Robo2 Cain build again lol!

Lee

Awesome work!

Great to see another committed ED-209 fan. Looks like you will finish way ahead of me, but I hope I can help.

Right now what's killing me is the leg rails. I have to completely recreate these to replace what's in the Horizon kit. I've got a certain design using FreeCAD, and I've been using some elementary photogrammetry to check dimensions, but its not working. I don't want to start machining acrylic or aluminium before I've got it right.

I'll share some thoughts via PM.

Last edited:

joewhite, ralphee, and dsp5500: Thanks!

I do have WIP pics and intended to share the process with folks. I'll start a separate thread for my build. I wasn't trying to hijack vectorzero's!

Folks

A quick BUMP for anyone with further reference shots of the stop motion puppet. I've also changed the title of the thread to make it more meaningful.

Chris' (CheesyGrin) amazing build log of his armature is here

Any help gratefully received.

Hi there,

Wow I knew I should have waited before purchasing a kind of slightly moveable ED-209 Horizon puppet from ebay ... which had custom made pieces added on as well ... instead of the original for animation. So I'm looking forward to these work in progress threads, indeed.

Chaim

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back